• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Introduce Natural Disasters into gameplay -

Should Natural Disasters be introduce into the game for those who choose this option

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

DeletedUser114342

Thank you everyone for your input. Please note that GBs have only a 1% chance of a 1% chance of being available for plundering each day in this proposal. It was changed in one of the subsequent posts but not in the original as yet.

Even in my original post there was nothing about removing or destroying any buildings that had to be edited out.

DeletedUser114342

Actually it's a 0.01*0.01*0.5 chance per day, as disasters would have a chance of occurring once every day. 20,000 days is still almost 54 years, so it's quite a huge amount of time to average one expansion.

Precisely this is what makes me think that the currently proposed reward system isn't properly balanced.

There are about 7,000 active players on Arvahall according to ForgeDB. So that is 7,000 instances of the disaster thingie run every day (assuming everyone has it activated), which is 2,555,000 instances run every year. If, on average, 1 out of every 20,000 instances of a disaster gives you an expansion, 127 players out of 7,000 are getting an expansion every year. Basically, this becomes a reward only accessible to the lucky 1.8% who happen to get it that year. So you're turning something that everybody has equal access to (expansions) into something that very few randomly chosen players have better access. Granted, one single additional expansion to very few players will not destroy the game or give them any unfairly massive advantage, but you're still rewarding sheer luck with something that nobody else can attain in any other way. This makes opposing it a matter of principle for me.

This brings me to my next point, which is, I guess, my main problem with this idea. Other than expansions, there is really nothing that you can offer that isn't offered somewhere else in the game. You could think of new buildings, but those buildings will give stuff that other buildings also give. The game is already saturated with rewards (daily challenges, guild expedition, story/side/recurring quests, events, settlements). Most of what you them from them is just rubbish, but there's the actually useful, valuable thing here and there. In addition, there are plenty of buildings that give similar things (fps, goods, military units, et al.).

So it all comes down to adding an extra reward system that either doesn't really offer anything new or it offers something that I don't think it should offer.

If you ask me, 'Alright then, what kind of stuff would you want disasters to give as a reward?' then, if I be truly honest, I would answer, 'forge points.' Forge points are right at the top of my list of favourite things to get in the game. But there are already so many ways of getting fps (and Inno keeps adding more) that I'm already saturated with so much stuff to do, so I'd rather not add an extra one.

In short, I think it is a really cool idea you've got here. It is well presented and well thought. But I wouldn't want to play it. I simply don't want another thing that compels me to log in more often.

Thank you for your feedback. I just thought that there was an aspect to FOE that could be further explored.

Also, even if the idea didn’t get very far, I had fun coming up with the concept and I enjoyed bouncing off ideas with others here as well. If they enjoyed it too, then to me this idea was already worth it ☺️

DeletedUser114342

I see you're still missing the point like no one else, Agent327!

If they had simply meant "do not propose anything regarding diamonds", then that's what they would have written, isn't it? What they mean is that any new way of getting diamonds must be at least as hard as any current way.

So, then, what about that 50% chance of getting 1000 diamonds? That sounds pretty sweet, right?

It absolutely does. Unfortunately, you're the only one to have suggested it (you have to be careful about that; it's against the rules, you know). The suggestion from @Xenophon the Prophet 576 was a 50% chance, out of a 1% chance, out of a 1% chance, per year. For the mathematically challenged, that's a chance of 1 in 20,000 per year. In other words, you only have to play the game for 10,000 years, in order to get the 50% chance you're talking about. If you keep going for 20,000 years, that'll rise to a whopping 75% chance. Sweet! You gotta eat your vitamins, though, to have a shot at that.

Anyway, over time, it should even out to 1 diamond every 20 years. To make it even out, though, you'd have to live sufficiently many 20,000 year periods to get a statistically significant result. So, just off the top of my head, not actually calculating it, about 20,000,001 years in total (statisticians like sticking that '1' at the end; it gives more decimal points to the results). Think how many diamonds you'd have, then! Of course, when you consider the cost of all those vitamins, it may be cheaper to just buy the diamonds...

Phew... Time to disentangle myself from Agent327's phantasms, and get back to the real world: If anything, a 1/20,000 chance at 1,000 diamonds is much too little. On the upside, Agent327's failure to comprehend the math demonstrates that it would still work as a powerful incentive, to some.

Yes, that would be really, really silly! So silly, in fact, that I think stronger words than "silly" would be appropriate. Fortunately, though, there's no need to use strong language, as no such thing has been suggested. While I understand that there has been some room for misinterpretation, I had no problem with it. More significantly, even Agent327 failed to misinterpret it!

The suggestion is, quite simply, that the GBs would become open for looting. Someone else would then be able to loot your Arc, for the benefit of their own guild. Extremely annoying, but hardly devastating.

Thanks for helping me explain the concept as you did interpret it correctly :)

I will be updating my original post today so hopefully it will clear up some of the confusion about what the idea actually is.

DeletedUser112395

I think this is a great Idea, with regards to those city repair kits...
I think it would be a good idea to be able to make one prior to a disaster by asking for contributions so that if a disaster does happen, you can repair it straight away

DeletedUser114342

I think this is a great Idea, with regards to those city repair kits...
I think it would be a good idea to be able to make one prior to a disaster by asking for contributions so that if a disaster does happen, you can repair it straight away

Thanks for your feedback :)
I did toy with the same idea for the disaster kit as you, but decided not to.
The reason why is because if you can repair straight away, you won’t know who will help or hinder you. Also, if the risk is minimalised then the compensation will be less too.
One of the reasons I came up with this idea was that there were many threads of people complaining about others plundering them but they had no chance to plunder them back.
This gives them a chance to do so, but whether they seek revenge or take the opportunity to send aid and actually become friends instead is up to them.