• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Increase the movement speed of ranged units

DeletedUser109385

This applies to ranged units from Bronze Age till High Middle ages, ranged units in High Middle Ages and below have movement speed of 12 and range of 5 which makes it very easy for heavy units from High Middle ages on wards to hit ranged units wherever they are, it's almost impossible to use the ranged units bonus against heavy infantry effectively if they can always be hit by heavy units in High Middle Ages on wards, I would suggest to increase the movement speed of ranged units of High Middle Ages and below(E,g Crossbowman, Slinger...) by 1 or 2. Note: This does not apply to mounted archers as they already have lots of movement speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser108379

I am confused.
There are two different unit types, fast units and ranged units.
So why should ranged units be fast? Which description says so?

DeletedUser109385

I am confused.
There are two different unit types, fast units and ranged units.
So why should ranged units be fast? Which description says so?
When you click on the army pack and when you view the unit type info on the FoE webpage

DeletedUser108379

Well, I never looked at the description in the army pack. You are right the description is a bit misleading. But I would not like to see any change for units that have been in the game for a long time now.

DeletedUser109385

back to the year 2012 ?

where the archers could conquer the whole map ?
I don't know how archers having their movement speed increased by 1 or 2 would mean they would be powerful enough to conquer the map btw I wish the archers were never nerfed, it will be very nice to have those archers back.

DeletedUser109385

I am going to bring this thread up a little bit as it has been dead for ages

Surge

Brigadier-General
-1. Don't make the game easier because you can't strategize well enough to get around a rather minor barrier. You don't like how your archers can get reached by heavies? Then put them behind forests or ponds, or just throw in a couple of heavies yourself to distract them. Ranged are supposed to have an advantage over heavies, not be invincible to them.

back to the year 2012 ?

where the archers could conquer the whole map ?
(game ended after the late middle age)

Oi, oldie! Actually the archers had 6 range instead of being faster, but yeah.

DeletedUser109385

Then put them behind forests or ponds
The heavy can still catch up if you make your archer move through a pond or forest
just throw in a couple of heavies yourself to distract them
You do realize the IA is not dumb right? The heavies will go for my archers if they are nearby
not be invincible to them.
I don't know how increasing the speed by just 1 or 2 for units that have a range of 5 only will make them invincible, heavies will catch up at some point and High Middle Ages heavy can take a lot of hits so how is that invincible?
Actually the archers had 6 range instead of being faster, but yeah.
If they still had that range of 6 I wouldn't be complaining now.

And you say that units that have range of 5 and movement speed of 11 can be avoided from putting them behind ponds and forests
upload_2017-3-3_19-53-48.png

I managed to win alright but barely, without the boosts I would have been dead for sure. You can see that ranged units of movement speed of 12 and range of 5 are almost no good against heavy infantry from High Middle Ages onwards

Surge

Brigadier-General
You're not supposed to be using units two ages behind from the units you're opposing. What you're asking for is entirely superfluous because you're using outdated tech, when the issue is solvable by updating your units. Crossbows are simply superior to archers in every way anyways, why not use them?

DeletedUser109385

Crossbows are simply superior to archers in every way anyways, why not use them?
Take up too much pop, costs a lot and takes a hell lot of time to train, the pop for Crossbows used to be 253 If I remember correctly but for some reasons they raised it up to 300 and something, way more than an Archery range. And Crossbows will still be hit by Heavy infantries, Crossbows do become quite weak when you use them against Imperial Guards. The whole point of what I am asking for is to give the player a better chance of preventing his/her ranged units from being attacked by the heavies.
You're not supposed to be using units two ages behind from the units you're opposing.
Well most people I have met do before researching any Crossbows.

DeletedUser108047

the game is not meant to be easy. its a strategy game that requires you to build and increase your city and its strategic options.

In real life Iron age archers did not have the technology to shoot long distance or to puncture heavy armour.

DeletedUser109385

In real life Iron age archers did not have the technology to shoot long distance or to puncture heavy armour.
Ah now that's where I come in! If you mean Iron Age archers as in the Native Iron Age people using bows and arrows then I guess your point is right, if we are talking about Roman Archers (Archers shown in the screenshot are very much like Roman Archers) they could shoot really long, Roman archers were trained at firing at massive ranges as they were specialized for this, kind of like the Longbow archers. The range of 6 for the Archers should not have been removed.

DeletedUser108047

well if we are going to debate history...
Roman archers using western bows had a small range 100-150 yards;
Roman archers using composite bows developed from the eastern conquests had a range of up to 180-200 yards
British decrees from the 14th century state that a practice range should not be less than the equivalent of 220 yards and based on the battle of Crecy longbowmen were shooting heavier war arrows (heavier than Roman) about 300 yards

And as for the ability to penetrate heavy armour...
Roman armies were generally more lightly clad with iron plate piece armour and a shield (not steel) whereas a medieval knight's steel plate armour with a chain mail hauberk underneath were far superior and much harder to penetrate

All of which is to a degree pointless as it is a game... my advice - get an expansion if you need it, upgrade your military tech and move on...

DeletedUser109385

my advice - get an expansion if you need it, upgrade your military tech and move on..
That is if I have archers firing more than 6 ranges, you obviously won't be able to get those archers who can fire at 6 ranges and above in a matter of time, Crossbows with range of 5 will still get hit by heavy infantries which is really bad because I often battle heavy infantries that have LOTS of defense bonus so even with a Crossbows if you get hit you are unable to use the bonus effectively which mean you do stand a good chance at losing if too many of your Crossbows are injured, the chances will be even higher with heavy units from Late Middle ages and above as I experienced it in Mount Killmore

DeletedUser108047

80lb? or roughly 36kg per arrow? doubt that...

So your complaint is really that you need to change strategy because your environment has changed.. and you'd rather change the rules than your strategy?

Sounds like you want to make the game easier again...

Beef up your own fighting stats with GBs, use rogues to absorb the first hit, use the terrain; or if you can't fight them join them - use heavies - with higher stats and rogues and make sure you get the first hit. 1 heavy, 7 rogues will always beat 8 heavy if you do it manually and stay on the plains

DeletedUser109385

80lb? or roughly 36kg per arrow? doubt that...
Sorry, worded wrongly! Roman archers would carry 80lb of arrows in total and English Longbows 50lb in total.
heavier war arrows (heavier than Roman) about 300 yards
I think you meant heavier war bows.
armour with a chain mail hauberk underneath were far superior and much harder to penetrate
I mean this is a game so not everything can be accurate but I will say it anyway, simple arrows with arrowheads yes they will be useless against this knight armour, but the arrows used against heavily armored enemies were arrows tripointed in the end which allowed the arrow to have a much better grip and penetration of that heavy armour so really the penetration wasn't useless.