• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Already Suggested: Improving the crude battle interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser9701

Proposal: Currently, when you hover your cursor over an enemy unit, it shows its movement range. I propose that this display should be improved to include both movement range and attack range.

Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea:
Yes. I posted a thread related to this idea in the question forum, but I never actually submitted this as an idea.

Reason: This improvement would remove the dull, bothersome task of counting squares to find out the attack range of ranged units. This will not make battles any easier, it will just allow you to obtain this information faster than before. And so I hope no one calls the act of counting squares some kind of strategy, as the real strategy comes in when it is time to decide what to do with this information, which this improvement has no effect on.

Details & Visual Aids: Showing both the movement and attack range of enemy units as well as your own units can be seen in nearly every game that features the same type of turn-based combat you see in FOE. Usually, these two things are displayed in two different colors like so:

In the picture below, you see a melee unit being selected, and it's movement range is displayed by the blue squares, and its maximum attack range is displayed by the red squares.

Image removed

In this next picture, you see a ranged unit being selected, and it's movement range is displayed by the blue squares, and its maximum attack range is displayed by the red squares.

Image removed

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I would like this idea if it were implemented. It would not really change my strategy any, but would save me a lot of time as I do currently count squares to see where a ranged unit will be able to reach on its next turn.

And since I have a frightening compulsion to make fake visual aids I thought I would show my impression on what Lohengrin's idea might look like applied to this game, with the disclaimer that it is in no way my idea.
Mousing over a Grenadier that has an attack range of 2.
LmqcCoW.jpg
If this is different from what you had in mind, Lohengrin, please let me know and I will remove it.

DeletedUser5026

Hey Lohengrin,

+1 Excellent idea!! However, this idea sounds similar to my guild buddy's proposal: (click me) Do correct me if I'm wrong though. And in any case, nice illustrations provided by you and Taeriyn.

Cheers,
L.R.

DeletedUser

imo there should be a new color marking all the spots where moving there result attack, hard to check each unit 1 by 1

DeletedUser

+1/2This idea has my support although i will say that it would suit the new player much better. The more experienced player may be against it as it reduces their advantage of experience.

~ddrd1981

DeletedUser

+1 it would be especially helpful moving to a new age and coming up against new units, not knowing or miss counting the range can be a bit of a shock!

DeletedUser

+1 again from me! This is what I wrote when I first saw this idea:
+1 byeordie, I've wondered in the past why it wouldn't show movement + attack ranges for those units!

DeletedUser276

Just a heads up. I had to remove the images in the op thread due to copyright contention. Please dont post images of other games.... makes the lawyers squeemish ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.