• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Impossible story quests

Calydor

Private
I posted about this a while ago, but rather than bumping an old thread I'll say it again.

When you play as a pacifist, getting story quests that require combat with no alternative can stop you dead in your tracks.

I'm now at a quest that requires FIVE WINS IN A ROW, I just got my behind handed to me in the friggin' Guild Expedition, and even my weakest neighbors can decimate what few military units I have left.

With the removal of the daily expedition I have no unattached units coming in anymore. I don't have Alcatraz because I hate this game's combat with a passion but love the rest of the game. I have literally bought my way up through every single time period.

But now I have to get five wins in a row to progress the story, and that just ain't happening because at this rate, I'll be completely out of units and would have to change my playstyle, my city layout, my focus, MY FRIGGIN' INTEREST IN THE GAME, in order to complete that one single quest.

It would be a lot easier to delete the shortcut to forgeofempires.com and never come back ...

DeletedUser112745

There’s always at least five or so neighbours in every age that only have two spears for defence.
These players are sometimes pacifists too, they keep a two spear defence so fighters can’t get too many points from attacking them.

• Today, “attack” your low score, guildless and GB-less neighbours just to see what troops they have and then surrender. This is “scouting”. Write down the names of those who have two spears (or worse, like a single rogue or a drummer, etc).
  • Tomorrow, attack those who have two spears/worse with ranged units. You should kill them from a distance without your troops getting harmed.
Because you’re a pacifist, just don’t plunder them. It is possible to attack but not plunder. People do this just to boost their scores a little.

DeletedUser111359

If you were actually playing as a pacifist, you'd be up to your eyeballs in troops. I certainly am. On my main world, I have 7378 rogues, and 12637 total troops. And the only building I have in my city producing troops, is a Level 16 Traz for the happiness. I can't even collect it most days, because you can't collect it if there aren't other troop producers. When I get a quest that requires me to draft troops I lay a foundation for a troop building, and collect my Traz, and bingo, bango, that quest is done. I don't have to wait for the building to get built even. On that world (En5) I'm ranked 300, and have a total of 219 "won" battles. Been playing since 2012.

DeletedUser14881

Sadly, it seems that Inno completely ignore pacifists. It's like in the whole real life history, which is the game story is based on (or at least it used to), there were absolutely no cases in which city commanders (tribal leaders, kings, jarls, dictators...) negotiated with their enemies (or, in this case, a "mysterious figure") instead of going all in a killing spree.

And why? Because although they haven't stated it oficially (and probably they never will), Inno favours PvP because it's, theoretically, financially more viable as it yields more diamonds being purchased to level up attacking/troops/plundering GBs almost up to the max and to heal units.

Calydor

Private
If you were actually playing as a pacifist, you'd be up to your eyeballs in troops. I certainly am. On my main world, I have 7378 rogues, and 12637 total troops. And the only building I have in my city producing troops, is a Level 16 Traz for the happiness. I can't even collect it most days, because you can't collect it if there aren't other troop producers. When I get a quest that requires me to draft troops I lay a foundation for a troop building, and collect my Traz, and bingo, bango, that quest is done. I don't have to wait for the building to get built even. On that world (En5) I'm ranked 300, and have a total of 219 "won" battles. Been playing since 2012.

Like I said, I don't have an Alcatraz, although it's getting obvious to me that with this change in mindset (before Oceanic there was always a choice between fighting or diplomacy) I'm going to have to find room for it.

Agent327

Overlord
I posted about this a while ago, but rather than bumping an old thread I'll say it again.

Why? Didn't you get enough attenmtion that you have to try again?

When you play as a pacifist, getting story quests that require combat with no alternative can stop you dead in your tracks.

When you play as a fighter, you get a lot more quests that are total crap in your eyes, but you still complete them, cause you are playing a game.

I'm now at a quest that requires FIVE WINS IN A ROW, I just got my behind handed to me in the friggin' Guild Expedition, and even my weakest neighbors can decimate what few military units I have left.

Who's fault or problem is that?

With the removal of the daily expedition I have no unattached units coming in anymore. I don't have Alcatraz because I hate this game's combat with a passion but love the rest of the game. I have literally bought my way up through every single time period.

There has never been a daily expedition. If you hate the combat, why play a game where it is part of it. If you love to play the rest, go play a game where yopu do not have to fight. There are plenty.

But now I have to get five wins in a row to progress the story, and that just ain't happening because at this rate, I'll be completely out of units and would have to change my playstyle, my city layout, my focus, MY FRIGGIN' INTEREST IN THE GAME, in order to complete that one single quest.

In that case, good bye and good luck.

It would be a lot easier to delete the shortcut to forgeofempires.com and never come back ...

So what's holding you?

Agent327

Overlord
There’s always at least five or so neighbours in every age that only have two spears for defence.
These players are sometimes pacifists too, they keep a two spear defence so fighters can’t get too many points from attacking them.

• Today, “attack” your low score, guildless and GB-less neighbours just to see what troops they have and then surrender. This is “scouting”. Write down the names of those who have two spears (or worse, like a single rogue or a drummer, etc).
  • Tomorrow, attack those who have two spears/worse with ranged units. You should kill them from a distance without your troops getting harmed.
Because you’re a pacifist, just don’t plunder them. It is possible to attack but not plunder. People do this just to boost their scores a little.

Great advise. If you do not know what pacifist means, why didn't you look it up?

Agent327

Overlord
Sadly, it seems that Inno completely ignore pacifists. It's like in the whole real life history, which is the game story is based on (or at least it used to), there were absolutely no cases in which city commanders (tribal leaders, kings, jarls, dictators...) negotiated with their enemies (or, in this case, a "mysterious figure") instead of going all in a killing spree.

And why? Because although they haven't stated it oficially (and probably they never will), Inno favours PvP because it's, theoretically, financially more viable as it yields more diamonds being purchased to level up attacking/troops/plundering GBs almost up to the max and to heal units.

What a crap.

They tell you what the game is about. Even the tutorial shows you, you have to fight. I wonder how you completed that as a "pacifist". JKust put your high morals aside for the time being?

Go play Sim City!

DeletedUser111732

lol, pacifism, you know how many bacteria, bugs, viruses and other life you kill just by existing? It's a game folks, make some friends and agreements with your neighbors and everyone don't put a defense in then attack each other or do some GvG with a friendly guild or by releasing sectors, don't worry the gaming gods won't be upset by you killing their pixels:blush:

DeletedUser14881

What a crap.

They tell you what the game is about. Even the tutorial shows you, you have to fight. I wonder how you completed that as a "pacifist". JKust put your high morals aside for the time being?

Go play Sim City!
Wrong! Look at a simple example with a much bigger chain of events: Sectors' Negotiating!

I won't say for sure if the tutorial says something specific about it or if player have to figure it out by themselves because I don't honestly remember but it's a way of allowing "pacifists" or, better saying, people who don't give a damn about the PvP side of the game or even people like myself who were introduced to the game by the cultural side (history age advancing, great buildings...) to keep on playing and advancing as expected by design.

Years ago when I started playing I had little time to learn in depth game mechanics, so I negotiated my way through the first Continent until I reached EMA because I was working my city's earthwork and thus I was constantly moving buildings and recycling production timings and started fighting for them up to Progressive Era when sectors were very hard to fight through (now it's easy again).

But then GvG showed up requiring lots of resources for those Guilds that are really in for fighting. And then came GBs like Alcatraz, Chateau, Arc and etc. And then the scarcity of resources that, sometimes, may require up to three goods' buildings to produce one single later age product, became more evident. Pushing GBs to the max level, the big wallets started feeling the weight of the FP requirements and their minimalistic cities became a sea of SoKs, Terrace Farms and other FP focused buildings.

With all space consumed in this way, the plundering became a stronger in-game life-style and (finally coming to my point) the "pacifists" started "suffering". They don't fight and, therefore, can't properly defend themselves (not that defence AI is anything useful on this matter, but anyway). Being constantly plundered by the big wallets that seem to know about only one aspect of the game, "pacifists" can't gather enough resources to play the way they want and the way they always played before, without fighting. But, then again, the game keeps pushing them to fight, produce units, conquer sectors or advance their tech trees and they simply can't or struggle badly to do so.

If you have no arguments, don't post, don't quote others' posts and especially don't treat low the words of someone who's been, for years, playing every aspect of the game, pacifistically -AND- aggressively while, at the same time, staying faithful to the culturality the game provided. Or used to.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser96901

the quest is possible by game design
the quest is impossible by players choice

other must buy sectors for expensive good costs because the game forces them

when you play as warlord, getting story quests that require buying sectors with goods with no alternative can stop you dead in your tracks

damn

Agent327

Overlord
I won't say for sure if the tutorial says something specific about it or if player have to figure it out by themselves because I don't honestly remember but it's a way of allowing "pacifists" or, better saying, people who don't give a damn about the PvP side of the game or even people like myself who were introduced to the game by the cultural side (history age advancing, great buildings...)

The tutorial has you kill two opponents with your 2 spearfighters. There is no way around that Mr Pacifist, so face it. No one is a pacifist in this game and if you claim to be one you are delusional.

But then GvG showed up requiring lots of resources for those Guilds that are really in for fighting. And then came GBs like Alcatraz, Chateau, Arc and etc. And then the scarcity of resources that, sometimes, may require up to three goods' buildings to produce one single later age product become more evident. Pushing GBs to the max level, the big wallets started feeling the weight of the FP requirements and their minimalistic cities became a sea of SoKs, Terrace Farms and other FP focused buildings.

When GvG showed up the game was in the Modern Era. Alcatraz and Frontenac were already there. Resources were never scarce.

With all space consumed in this way, the plundering became a stronger in-game life-style and (finally coming to my point) the "pacifists" started "suffering". They don't fight and, therefore, can't properly defend themselves (not that defence AI is anything useful on this matter, but anyway). Being constantly plundered by the big wallets that seem to know about only one aspect of the game, "pacifists" can't gather enough resources to play the way they want and they way the always played before, without fighting.

You really tell an amazing fairy tale to come to the conclusion you want to come to. Game facts tell another story. Even if you do not want to fight, you win enough units to be able to defend yourself. Plundering is a part of the game. A part you can find back in the explanation of the game and in the game tips. Never ever have I seen there once that you can play as a pacifist.

But, then again, the game keeps pushing them to fight, produce units, conquer sectors or advance their tech trees and they simply can't or struggle badly to do so.

I think that is wat you get when you play a strategy game.

If you have no arguments, don't post, don't quote others' posts and especially don't treat low the words of someone who's been, for years, playing every aspect of the game, pacifistically -AND- aggressively while, at the same time, staying faithful to the culturality the game provided. Or used to.

Game never provided any culturality. On that point it has been unrealistic and at times totally wrong from the get go!

DeletedUser14881

Looks like someone needs to get back to school and learn text interpretation instead of quoting individual paragraphs that take off all the meaning of the text. And I even started saying it was a chain of events!

I don't know why I really bother with this toxic, self-centred, mono-thematic and egoccentric community. Sigh!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

As it's been mentioned above, there is fighting in the tutorial, PvP, GvG, fighting on the map, fighting in GE, fighting in the story line, fighting in the Daily, fighting in events.....and after 6 years you haven't figured out it's a war game?..if you don't want to fight play farmville.

You don't need to build 3 goods buildings to produce 1 good, you just need goods GB's, they supply you your unrefined goods, there is 5 available before ME....I never run out of unrefined and usually have so many I give them away.

The "I am throwing all my FP's" at research players always give me a chuckle, I see them from time to time in my FE and AF hoods with no GB's and I see them in guilds.
They are the players that constantly moan about being plundered, moan that they can't complete events, moan about not having goods, don't want to aid because it's boring lol, flood the trading threads begging for goods because they can just never keep up, messaging players for a "polish" because they are always unhappy lol.

YOU chose to play the game this way

DeletedUser111359

As it's been mentioned above, there is fighting in the tutorial, PvP, GvG, fighting on the map, fighting in GE, fighting in the story line, fighting in the Daily, fighting in events.....and after 6 years you haven't figured out it's a war game?

Actually it's not. It's a sandbox game, that includes fighting, but you can absolutely play the game while ignoring the fighting elements, and you can continually expand your city in the game while doing so.

If you want to actually play a war game, I'd recommend Tribal Wars, where fighting is not optional at all.

Calydor

Private
It absolutely fascinates me how every game has these forum white knights who feel it is their sworn and solemn duty to DEFEND 'their' game against all slights, real or otherwise.

Of course I am not a total pacifist. Of course I tried the fighting system back when I started in ... 2013? And I didn't like it, which makes not liking it an informed opinion on my part. But the game offered an alternative - I could buy sectors, I could do quests with alternative solutions to fighting, ever since the Bronze Age - right until the Oceanic Age, five years later, at which point quests start appearing that can ONLY be completed through fighting. But of course I should have foreseen that change in mindset, right?

It also amuses me greatly that Mr. Agent claims there were never daily expeditions, but I realize the poor guy must have been playing the inferior mobile version of the game all this time, the one without the ship expeditions that were finally removed in this latest patch. You know, the 5 min - 15 min - 1 hour - 4 hours - 4 hours - 8 hours rotation.

This whole quoting line by line makes you come across as a frothing-by-the-mouth keyboard warrior, which just means I really can't take your vitriol seriously.

A big thanks to Skott Ravenfyre for an ACTUALLY HELPFUL reply, though. Found a single neighbor who's quit the game and left two spearfighters up, so it's a slow but steady progress towards five wins in a row.

I'm not sure for how many people this game is THE game they play; for me it's just a fun city sim that runs in the background while I play bigger and more captivating games, and to which I tab out occasionally to pick up goods and resources and whatnot. It's really not the game I think about while cooking dinner.