• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Not a Bug: "Idle building" icon gets higher and higher after hardware acceleration is enforced

DeletedUser97579

• World:
    - East Nagach - EN5
  • Browser and Version:
    - 1.40.27659 (25.11.2014 17:11), Sunyata (1237391), en5, en_US, WIN 15,0,0,223, Windows 8.1, Chrome/39.0.2171.65, 1920x1017, OpenGL (336 MB VRAM)
  • Overview of the bug:
    - "Idle building" icon gets higher and higher. This only seems to be occuring with Hardware Acceleration turned on - but now that the option to turn that off has been removed, this happens all the time.
  • Screenshots:
    (After a day or so of having the browser open without it crashing - the lowest point of the 'building idle' bounce)
    vG35VNM.png

(After hitting the browser refresh button - the lowest point of the 'building idle' bounce)
    QOPBpnc.png

(After a day or so of having the browser open without it crashing - the lowest point of the 'collect production' bounce)
    zmJzt0s.png

(After hitting the browser refresh button - the lowest point of the 'building idle' bounce)
    IDbcUPp.png
  • How often this occurs:
    - Now that the "Disable Hardware Acceleration" option has been removed - constantly.
  • Urgency:
    - It doesn't break the game as you can still tell which building to click on - but it looks ridiculous and is a little annoying.
  • Preventative Actions:
    - None/Don't know
  • Summary:
    - Erm, all of the above ;)

Each time a building is collected the position of the "Collection ready" or "Building Idle" icons creep upwards. This new position remains (or indeed gets even higher) until the browser session is reset.

From the looks of it, all icons are affected ("building idle", "collection ready", "gold star") but the greatest increase in height comes from those initiated the most. For example, '5 minute production collection' icons rise faster than the '1 hour house collection' icons which rise faster than the '8 hour polished' icons etc.
  • I have performed a quicksearch of the forums using a select few keywords relating to my bug to see if it has already been reported:
    - I reported it myself under the Graphics Thread but it doesn't seem like things in there are actioned upon - so I'm re-raising it here.
  • Have you tried fixing it by using methods listed in the thread pinned to the top of this forum:
    - A "refresh" solves it until it builds again. No permanent solution

Rosletyne

Warrant Officer
What you did not mention are Great Building icons, except that rather than rising far above their respective buildings, I have seen them drop below them. Either way, the positions of the icons frequently get screwed up.

DeletedUser97579

After about 8 or 9 hours - I think this one is a new record:

ugqV6m6.png

... any comment from the mods/devs?
Can we at least have the "hardware acceleration" switch back until it's looked at?

DeletedUser97579

I tried on two distinct computers - albeit, both using Chrome. I'll give things a try this evening with Firefox and see how it looks.
It's "resolved" temporarily by refreshing - then slowly creeps higher and higher over time.

Incidentally, I've had another world open in a background tab and this doesn't experience the same issue - only the one actively being played on - and only with "hardware acceleration" enabled. As the two pcs here are markedly different builds, I'd find it odd to have two specifically unique hardware issues....

DeletedUser97579

Cleared all offline flash objects and tried with another browser. Slowly climbing again:
rI1Aq7M.png
After refresh for comparison
7qLywnC.png

DeletedUser97579

Have you been able to replicate this?
If you need anything else from my side kindly let me know.

AGwS4U3.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser97349

Whilst I have been able to (unintentionally :p) reproduce this, the causes for it are still mysterious. The investigation goes on, however :)

DeletedUser97579

Unintentional is fine .... at least it's not just me seeing things :D

DeletedUser99588

My garage is super motivated. If only it was three times the motivation :D

Garage.png

DeletedUser96867

Funny I'm not have that problem here on .en but I'm having the rising icon problem on beta, even when I have both windows open in the browser at the same time it only effects the .zz city.

1.41.27931 (10.12.2014 9:25), fischh (1162819), en6, en_US, WIN 15,0,0,239, Windows Vista, Chrome/39.0.2171.71, 1280x933, Software Hw_disabled=unavailable (336 MB VRAM)

DeletedUser97349

This seems to be a result of leaving the browser to idle for long periods, which will also have other deleterious effects. Refreshing the browser should resolve it.

DeletedUser97579

I'll try to resist the cynicism in thinking that the recently increased "Shockwave Flash has crashed" forced restarts are an attempt at mitigating this ;)

And yes - refreshing the browser does temporarily resolve this - as I said in the first post. That isn't a fix though.
This 'bug' was forced onto us with the option to disable hardware acceleration (as per my post in the graphics errors thread).

If it's purely due to having the browser open for so long, why isn't it affecting all buildings? Not all buildings exhibit this same bug.
I've also done some preliminary testing and have left the browser open without collecting from some of the buildings (just leaving the bouncing icon there for a few hours) whilst continuing to collect from others. So far, it would appear that only goods you're actively collecting exhibit this behaviour. I haven't done exhaustive testing to say that definitively though.

*edit
One additional point is that having multiple browser windows open for different worlds - this doesn't occur on them all (even if both are mainly kept in the background - so no 'active window' effects). If it was purely from having the window open for too long then wouldn't it affect them both equally?

DeletedUser97349

From my own testing it affects random buildings, and both polish stars and motivate icons, and does not occur if the browser is not left to idle. As I mentioned previously, if you do leave the browser to idle you may also experience other issues, such as a lag in communication between the browser and the server. As such I don't feel that this is an issue I can jira; I doubt that time will be spent improving cosmetics which only occur with an idle browser. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, however, it is always worth investigating to ensure it is not a more general issue.

DeletedUser99588

Can you explain how this isn't a bug? If it isn't a bug then you are implying it is expected and desired behaviour. If it is linked to leaving the browser open then we are back to the memory leakage 'BUG' which is very real and also shows its ugly face after performing a number of battles.

Just because a refresh gets rid of it doesn't mean it isn't a bug. For it not to be a bug it needs to be desired behaviour. So as it has been given the 'not a bug' tag can you confirm this is how the developers want it to work.

DeletedUser97349

The game is designed to be played, its not designed with the intention to leave it idle in the background. I'm surprised you would like time spent on fixing cosmetic issues which only occur when the game is left idle and not refreshed. This section is entitled 'Not a bug/will not fix'.
A similar issue has already been reported here - FOE-21741

DeletedUser99588

The game is designed to be played, its not designed with the intention to leave it idle in the background. I'm surprised you would like time spent on fixing cosmetic issues which only occur when the game is left idle and not refreshed. This section is entitled 'Not a bug/will not fix'.
A similar issue has already been reported here - FOE-21741

Am I missing something? They designed GvG so you need to monitor maps for attacks but don't expect you to keep the browser open. Is there some other way of monitoring that I'm unaware of as i would appreciate knowing. As for it being a cosmetic problem I think by your own admission confirming it is to do with the browser being left open suggests the root of the problem is memory leakage and the 'cosmetic' consequences are a symptom of a much bigger problem. So yes I would like memory leaks fixed and think it is far more important than bunnies running around the landscape of the city.

DeletedUser97579

Starzaan,
This happens with an "Active" game, being actively played in the Foreground. It is not solely a cosmetic bug when something is left in the background and ignored.

Can you please confirm the maximum length of time we can play in a single session before we'd start seeing this memory bug?
As such, also confirm that you've submitted to limit the session timeout on the game to this value?
If the developers haven't limited sessions to a particular length, surely they're saying that it should continue to function as designed?