• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Idea: Slight change to the "Default 2 Spearmen" defense

DeletedUser

Proposal:
My idea is, what if the default 2 spearmen that show up to defend a city that has no defending army assigned were changed to "2 light melee units of the city's age"? I am not really sold on this idea personally, I just wanted to see what other people thought of it.

They would still be beatable by anyone attacking with a reasonable army, and the defender wouldn't have the satisfaction of giving close to no points to people attacking. It would also make a bit of sense for realism, as in a town having no military to defend it could call up a militia that, while it may be easily defeated by an actual army, wouldn't be two guys with spears from the Bronze Age.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
I have checked through the Ideas section as well as used the forum search function and have not seen a similar suggestion.

Reason:
I don't really mind when people don't put up a defense as it means I can just hit autobattle and move on to my next target. But I often see people complaining about others that don't assign a defending army (Such as this thread here)

Details:
Instead of two spearmen showing up to defend the town, it would be two light melee from the appropriate age.
An Iron Age town would get two Soldiers, an LMA town would get two Great Sword Warriors, and so on.

Visual Aids:
No visual aids necessary for this Idea.

Balance/Abuse Prevention:
Should create no balance or abuse issues, as far as I can tell.

Summary:
Would something like this make people happy or unhappy? I dunno! Let's talk about it.

DeletedUser

Talking about it

As it sits now, a guy on the bottom rung of the neighborhood can beat the guy at the top if the guy at the top leaves 'default defense' . It would serve him right if the lower rung guys figure that out and start plundering his houses etc.

The proposal rewards that guy at the top by making his new 'default army' more powerful and thus he would have a good laugh at a low man in the neighborhood attacking him while still not being required to have any military buildings.

Should there be any requirement to defend your city? If you have a property that has nothing to steal, would you leave a security guard on it? I don't think so. So long as the defender is not complaining when something gets plundered then I see the existing default defense as fine.

DeletedUser

Summary:
Would something like this make people happy or unhappy? I dunno! Let's talk about it.

If the purpose of the thread is to talk about it, why not continuing the discussion in the existing thread under "Game discussion"?

DeletedUser

If the purpose of the thread is to talk about it, why not continuing the discussion in the existing thread under "Game discussion"?

Oh, I don't know, isn't that the whole point of the Ideas section, to discuss the suggestions that someone makes?

If you don't like the idea, that's totally fine. I'm not 100% sold on it myself, as I don't really think the 2 spearmen thing is a problem. But people that do dislike it seem to feel really strongly about it, so I just thought I'd suggest something that randomly came to mind that I thought might be better than automatically assigning units to the Defending Army.

DeletedUser

The proposal rewards that guy at the top by making his new 'default army' more powerful and thus he would have a good laugh at a low man in the neighborhood attacking him while still not being required to have any military buildings.

Should there be any requirement to defend your city? If you have a property that has nothing to steal, would you leave a security guard on it? I don't think so. So long as the defender is not complaining when something gets plundered then I see the existing default defense as fine.

100% agree with the above.

Furthermore, the default defence army can easily be circumvented, and already is, by assigning 1 spearmen so that the attacker cannot even get the 240p. Of course, this requires that the "defender" has a spear barrack in his town, which a lot of players in my neighbourhood have built solely for this purpose.

In fact, a new development I see - in an effort to both prevent attacker from gaining points and to save town space - is players building a slinger's range (which is 2x3). Some defences I've encountered now consist of a proud, single slinger.

DeletedUser

100% agree with the above.

Furthermore, the default defence army can easily be circumvented, and already is, by assigning 1 spearmen so that the attacker cannot even get the 240p. Of course, this requires that the "defender" has a spear barrack in his town, which a lot of players in my neighbourhood have built solely for this purpose.

In fact, a new development I see - in an effort to both prevent attacker from gaining points and to save town space - is players building a slinger's range (which is 2x3). Some defences I've encountered now consist of a proud, single slinger.

Actually.. Yeah, that's a great point. If someone really wanted to have a useless defense, I suppose there isn't much one can do about it. Hadnt even thought about what if someone assigns a Spearman on purpose instead of leaving it empty.

I guess my neighborhood just isn't competitive enough for anyone to really care about these things.

So scratch this idea, it wouldn't really change anything since one can always assign a unit of their choice to defense if they really wanted to.

DeletedUser1094

Taeriyn's first post said:
I am not really sold on this idea personally, I just wanted to see what other people thought of it.
Taeriyn's last post said:
So scratch this idea, it wouldn't really change anything since one can always assign a unit of their choice to defense if they really wanted to.

...and you never thought about posting this in the Game Discussions section in stead. :p

Hadnt even thought about what if someone assigns a Spearman on purpose instead of leaving it empty.
LOL... I have done that once. ;)

Thread closed.