• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

I love my archers!

DeletedUser

8 archers are godly in most iron age fights. You might, just might, struggle in the one with six ballistae against you, but other than that, you should be able to win anything. If you're going to take anything with them, mounted warriors wouldn't be a bad bet, since they can help run down the ballistae.

I've managed to take all provinces protected by EMA and HMA troops, never lost more than 5 of my 8 archers. But now things get exciting: The first time I encountered a province defended by Late Middle Age troops - and holy cow: Those are tough! 1 longbow archer, 4 (!!) heavy knights on horses, and 3 great sword warriors. First I got rid of the longbow guy, and hurt a few knights, but then they came roaring at me. I managed to always keep the slow warriors off my neck, but by the time I killed the final knight,I was left with 2 archers, one of them hurt with one lousy health point left over - and the warriors were closing in. Luckily, they move quite slow, so I always managed to escape from their traps, landing hit after hit (damage stats against them: 0-1! lol). So after about 30 hits, I finally got them, losing yet another archer in that battle. About 3600 battlepoints were the reward, but much more rewarding was the thrill ;-)

I just hope I don't meet cannons too soon, I guess then I'll be doomed :cool:

DeletedUser

Hehehe - I have found my archers to be equally wonderful, they really kick ass!!!

But I have to admit, I have not taken on the LMA troops with them yet, but i have Horse Archers now so hope they might let me do the trick against them as they are able to get around the map so quick and still shoot like an archer... just wish they had better defence!

DeletedUser

Don't do that, those mounted archers are really, really weak :/ They have a good movement value, but that's it, attack and defense values are rotton, and their range is also less than the walking archers.
I'm skipping those and waiting for crossbows - same range and movement, and twice the fighting power of archers - those will rule the world I guess. Currently I've come to a halt with my archers, 4 longbows and 4 heavy knights are just too much, no chance :P

DeletedUser

Ahh - but having one or two mounted archers to interchange in my squad means I get iron age points when i want them and ema points when i want them so i can champion two tournaments :)

DeletedUser

Actually, I believe that the Crossbowmen have one less range than Archers. Only 5 rather than 6. So while Crossbowmen receive a big stat boost over Archers, it is at the cost of one range point. And as we're all well aware, the 6 range of the Archers proves to be very valuable. I'm kinda interested to see if Crossbowmen are truly better than Archers when taking everything into account.

DeletedUser

Actually, I believe that the Crossbowmen have one less range than Archers. Only 5 rather than 6. So while Crossbowmen receive a big stat boost over Archers, it is at the cost of one range point. And as we're all well aware, the 6 range of the Archers proves to be very valuable. I'm kinda interested to see if Crossbowmen are truly better than Archers when taking everything into account.

You're right, I overlooked that tiny, but important range deficit. Nevertheless, I'll give them a try in (*looks in his tech tree*....) 152 hours (I want the alchemist and the brownstone house first).

DeletedUser

Ahh - but having one or two mounted archers to interchange in my squad means I get iron age points when i want them and ema points when i want them so i can champion two tournaments :)

You mean like this? .... hehe
Perfect game this one. No, I did not heal my troops, they didn't take a single hit!
For reasons unknown to me, the province following my recent LMA adventure offered me HMA troops again....
30s7nrr.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Great fight Haekel!! Mine isn't perfect but that darn ballista forced me to move forward... I'm still proud to only lose 1 archer vs 8 EMA troops

great fight.jpg

DeletedUser

Killed my first 2 cannons :) But hey, they are really evil, one shot was enough to kill an archer. Luckily there were no horses around, so I was able to get rid of them and some other LMA troops using 4 archers and 4 crossbows. More crossbows are in recruitment... but they still have to convince me, they're not too impressive I think.

DeletedUser

I think I'll convert to a Crossbow ***** now :P

I tried the fight illustrated below with 8 archers several times, but I was always short of 2 or 3 hits. And even though the crossbows have a smaller range than archers, they attack and defend a lot better. While cannons need only one shot to kill an archer, 2 shots are required to eliminate a crossbow. The other way around: I need 2 shots to kill a cannon with archers, my crossbows usually need only 1 hit (unless they're hurt).

1 heavy knight, 2 imperial guards, 1 longbow archer, 1 great sword warrior, 3 cannons:
wkfvjr.png

4 heavy knights, 4 cannons:
1 cannon was a bit stubborn and needed 2 shots :P
14wvgjp.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I have just witnessed the dumbest thing ever...

I was going a normal pvp fight, archers vs an inactive 3 warriors. I moved forward, killed 2 warriors then let the auto-finish do it, i had 4 archers left to attack for 1 warrior, was a piece of cake.

I'm giving you guys 3 guesses to find what the AI did.

It moved an archer beside the warrior and attacked him melee!!!!!

"intelligence" should not be part of that name...

DeletedUser

hehehe yeah, but without that brilliant AD (artificial dumbness) we'd never stand a chance with 8 crossbows against 4 heavy knights and 4 cannons like in the above screenshot. Cannons sometimes simply just don't shoot. They get pushed around a bit, but then their operators seem to be too tired to fill it up with cannonballs. Or they're out for lunch. Who knows :p