• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: Hide Defending Army v3

What say you?

• yes

Votes: 27 90.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Proposal: Give an option to hide/unhide the units selected for the 'city defenders' / defending army.

"Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea?"
- Yes,

Reason: The defenders appear at the front of the list, this causes different 'unit type tabs' to have different numbers of units 'at the front of the list' that need to be 'skipped over'. This needlessly slows down unit selection and/or causes errors and thereby losses (both battles and units).

Details:
Being able to hide the defending army (a simple check box would suffice and work on all versions of the game equally), would forego any issues of accidentally sending a defending army rogue or 'very rare and prized future era unit' in place of an 'intended unit', thus avoiding accidentally losing 8 rogues and a battle (or losing the said prized future era unit in error).
For me personally, more than half my losses are the result of 'miss clicks', not all of them due to defending army units, sometimes I accidentally hit the auto battle button instead of the scroll bar, that's on me and that will happen. But a good portion of the delays and losses I suffer in fighting are due to having '(as an example) 4 light units, 1 ranged, 1 cavalry and 2 heavy units' in my defending army, which means I need to skip a different number of units depending on which 'unit type tab' I am on).
By hiding the defending army, the units we see at the front of the list are all the 'right' units, regardless what unit type tab I'm on and regardless what era I've selected from the dropdown.

****EDIT:
One way to work this into the existing code would be to create a 'defending army' option in the 'age/era pulldown' menu.
You can see and dismiss units from your defending army under that pulldown option and you can add units to your defending army from 'any pulldown option except defending army'.
In this case, the unit that is added to the defending army would immediately 'disappear' from the screen when you select it because it is moved to the selection displayed under the 'defending army' pulldown option.
END OF EDIT****

Visual Aids:
I have none, but imagine if you will, a list of units with 4 blue rogues all the way to the left and then the same list of units but without 4 blue rogues on the left.

Balance/Abuse Prevention:
As this feature would be available equally to all players and does not change any actual combat ability or production factors, I see no issues with balance and the only possible abuse would be that illegal scripts would become slightly less complicated to write, but I should hope we're not needlessly keeping things complicated 'because it tests the lengths cheaters will go to'.

Last edited:
I rarely "miss click", but the defense units in front of the list are surely annoying, so I vote YES to an option to hide them.
I suppose most players don't change their defense army very often. We set the best defense army possible, and then it lasts until we age up to a new era. We don't need to see the defense army all the time. Might as well be hidden, and then we can unhide it, if we want to change it.

Rogues in def army? Hmm...

Last edited:
I also vote 'yes' - it's something that has been annoying me for a while - especially when I'm naughtily playing on my phone during a quiet spell at work - the blue defending units take up almost the whole width of the selection bar for some unit tabs on my tiny phone screen, resulting in a lot of scrolling between GBG battles - Grrrrr

Rosiemarrie

Private
I rarely click on the wrong ones, but I vote yes.

It's inconsistent with the PvP defending army which IS hidden. If one of the defending armies is hidden then why not the other one? I only want to see the defending army when I'm adjusting it, otherwise I'm happy to forget about those troops. I know I can use the city defenders to attack if I want to, but I would rather just give them their task of defending then forget about them until I start getting new troop types that I want to switch in.

I usually play on the browser, but occasionally on the phone and there the defenders fill most of the bar and just get in the way, even more than they do in the browser version.

or perhaps move them to the very end (far right). It would be less of a pain to have to scroll through on the much fewer occasions that I want to tweak my defending army than having to scroll on the very many occasions I want to swap out troops for battles.

Not a bad idea as such, but consider:
I have over 15,000 rogues. If I want to remove light units from my defending army after 2 hours of GBG, I have to scroll past all (or the maximum amount the game can load) of my wounded units to get to the far right of the bar, so this would potentially result in very significant scrolling time in comparison to a hide/unhide button (or even an addition to the 'age/era pulldown menu' to add 'Defending Army' and 'PvP Arena' army there instead?)

Not a bad idea as such, but consider:
I have over 15,000 rogues. If I want to remove light units from my defending army after 2 hours of GBG, I have to scroll past all (or the maximum amount the game can load) of my wounded units to get to the far right of the bar, so this would potentially result in very significant scrolling time in comparison to a hide/unhide button (or even an addition to the 'age/era pulldown menu' to add 'Defending Army' and 'PvP Arena' army there instead?)
You don't have to scroll all the way through all the units. You can just click on the far right end of the scroll bar and "jump" to the units at that position.
I do that all the time. If I need to swap a rogue, I click on the position of the scroll bar where I know the rogues are placed. I don't scroll all the way down to the rogues.

Last edited:

legend9182

Major-General
You don't have to scroll all the way through all the units. You can just click on the far right end of the scroll bar and "jump" to the units at that position.
I do that all the time. If I need to swap a rogue, I click on the position of the scroll bar where I know the rogues are placed. I don't scroll all the way down to the rogues.
Not in case of mobile

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
Not in case of mobile
Mobile is a crap way to play the game. As someone who uses the computer all the time, and has tried testing FoE on mobile for the past 10 days - never ever would have kept the interest in the game if only using mobile. Get rid of the mobile, or if not, then get rid of FoE. This is a computer game first and foremost, and should remain that way. Mobile is invited to play, but the mobile interface, as well as reduced screen size and reduced availability all make mobile a poor way to play the game. Most of the 'enhancements' that mobile players are asking for, or suggesting, really will not do much, when you still have a much smaller viewing space. There was only one item I found the mobile to be better than computer, and that was in the aid/motivating, as you can move along and do each person one by one, instead of just up to five, and then having to page over for a fresh 5.

If you want to improve your FoE experience - then do the smart thing and improve the device you use. You want to refuse and keep using an inferior product, then expect to have inferior results and lost opportunities.

vfrmark

Master Corporal
Yes, pain in bottom when you have 8 of the same units defending and you want to attack with them. Good idea +1

Mobile is a crap way to play the game. As someone who uses the computer all the time, and has tried testing FoE on mobile for the past 10 days - never ever would have kept the interest in the game if only using mobile. Get rid of the mobile, or if not, then get rid of FoE. This is a computer game first and foremost, and should remain that way. Mobile is invited to play, but the mobile interface, as well as reduced screen size and reduced availability all make mobile a poor way to play the game. Most of the 'enhancements' that mobile players are asking for, or suggesting, really will not do much, when you still have a much smaller viewing space. There was only one item I found the mobile to be better than computer, and that was in the aid/motivating, as you can move along and do each person one by one, instead of just up to five, and then having to page over for a fresh 5.

If you want to improve your FoE experience - then do the smart thing and improve the device you use. You want to refuse and keep using an inferior product, then expect to have inferior results and lost opportunities.
Did you write all that on mobile, Paladiac? :rolleyes::lol:

Last edited:

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
Did you write all that on mobile, Paladiac? :rolleyes::lol:
Hell no!! If I was writing on mobile, I would have had multiple spelling errors, the game window would have shut down a couple times, which means re-writing from scratch each time, as well as much cursing and ultimately being angry when I did finally get it written. Home now for 12 hours, and so much mre pleased to be using a computer again - and next time i go away, I will be purchasing a laptop to travel with (with an adapter so I can plug it into the hotel tv monitor for a really nice sized screen!! HA!

Last edited:
Not in case of mobile
Exactly. Hence my edit of initial post to offer a potential solution that works for all.

Mobile is a crap way to play the game.
Your opinion is noted but irrelevant. IF this suggestion gets forwarded, surely the developers will prefer a solution that works 'for all' and not 'makes it utterly impossible for mobile players while offering an adequate solution for PC players'.

Yes, pain in bottom when you have 8 of the same units defending and you want to attack with them. Good idea +1
Thanks for your support. If you haven't yet, please also cast your vote in the poll at the top of the thread so that it actually counts!

Status
Not open for further replies.