• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

helping newbies & smaller players find decent guilds

Proposal:
help smaller players find guilds that will better support them in the game.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
not that I can see

Reason:
Small players choose guilds often based on name and a very brief description that may well mean very little to them. They mostly do not know how to look for guilds by rank and also would be likely rejected from those with high rank. They are left with lower ranking guilds that they struggle to choose between.

Many players without support end up leaving the game because they eventually find it too hard to progress as they have not been advised to build up their fighting capacity and have advanced too quickly through the ages with limited defence and points, leaving them as the neighbourhood punchbag. This is neither good for them or the game overall as there are less players and also less revenue for Inno. Plus those players will likely have a negative opinion of the game which may be shared with others.

Details:
Some guilds such as ours have excellent resources for players and others have absolutely nothing; some are happy communities and others are not at all. It seems nearly impossible to find this out, particularly if you are not an already experienced and well networked player. For the smaller players they simply cannot tell at all and either go on name or rank, which tells you nothing.

Some guilds too have active threads such as trading, swap threads or 1.9 threads that are helpful to members. We have had many new joiners that tell us that their guild had no threads and no support at all; if I hadn’t gone and approached them they would simply have died owning just one level 20 Oracle in Industrial age.

I believe it would be useful to improve this situation. Some suggestions include:

1. provide some kind of support ranking for the guilds – could be done by monitoring intraguild communication for example, or number of active guild threads
2. Providing more space for guild description so people can explain what they are offering in a way that is more accessible for small/new players. Saying you have 1.9 for example means nothing to small players. Saying that you can help them with free FP contributions to their GBs is much more helpful but takes 5x more space than “1.9 thread”
So in order to make the best use of space people use very brief wording that is not helpful for small players.
3. Providing some kind of guild review system
4. Provide some kind of tickbox system that a guild could select which may provide some info for newbies e.g. Accepting newbies/provide support for newbies/experienced players only/occasional players.

Visual Aids:

Balance:
This would enable happier guilds to rise to the top and also help smaller players to find guilds that will support them. This will keep them in the game for longer and be broadly beneficial to the FoE community

Abuse Prevention:
A review system is of course open to abuse. But this is just one option.

Summary:

The early-mid stages of this game are difficult to navigate and I believe that a lot of people fall away because they have had no support, don’t know where to turn to find it, and eventually find it too hard to progress. Many of them don’t even know how much they don’t know so don’t realise to ask or look for support beyond the first initial (“blind”) choice of guild. This improvement would significantly alter that and create a better, longer term sustainable community with better educated and happier players. This is beneficial for all.

Emberguard

Legend
They recently changed the algorithm to do just that: larger guilds are favoured in the search. Pretty sure from memory it displays guilds with a minimum of 10 members where possible

What exactly would be involved in your proposed guild review system? Who’s reviewing it? What kinds of filters do you believe would help?

personally I think the best thing is to monitor intra-guild communication and to rank those guilds with high intra guild communication higher (not necessarily larger ones). I made other suggestions in case anyone might be able to figure out some other solutions but I think the best is intra-guild threads etc. E.g. an active 1.9 thread or swaps thread would really boost that score.

A guild review system could be via anonymous polls of guild members like
* is this guild suitable for newbies?
* is good support and advice given to guild members?
* are there active support threads to build GBs?

Alternatively, more advice could be given to newbies as to how to choose a guild, e.g.what does GE and GBG mean, if I saw Gold League for GBG I would think that's the top, I wouldn't know there was platinum and Diamond league...

Knight of ICE

Moving this to feedback. This is not one idea, but several ideas, so can't be voted on. Also most suggestions are open for abuse.

delboy13

Private
hi all i am new here and can not find were i can join a guild ..may be some one can help me ..or if possible maybe a guild will let me join them and be a good member to there guild with help and guidance ..thank you deldoy13

Emberguard

Legend
hi all i am new here and can not find were i can join a guild ..may be some one can help me ..or if possible maybe a guild will let me join them and be a good member to there guild with help and guidance ..thank you deldoy13
Which world are you on?

Daiman Rahl

Corporal
New players don't need big Guilds, in fact it is a disadvantage.
Most of those advanced guilds have most players in the later ages and it makes trades hard to come by for new players.
What is needed are training guilds that have the resourses and the players in low enough era's to help the newer players with trades.
Having hopping around a few times I was fortunate enough to land in The Training Academy. There they have helped me build up GB's and grow.
I no longer struggle as I did in my first few guides and the instruction and help of players has taught me a lot about the game.
So I hope this idea gets some serious thought put into it because it is what newer players need.

Cuthwolf

Captain
Before GE was launched Big Guilds often welcomed new players. Now they don't want them as a low era good might be needed to build a siege camp on key sector.