• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Help with an annoying "friend" please?

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
As I said, I like this game but I do find that being able to steal from another player is the worst thing and (in my opinion) should be discontinued.
Unfortunately though, this is part of the game, and is part of many similiar type games. If you are able to be on the game at regular times, the best method to protect your city (which you can also find reading the forums), is to time your collections so that they all collect at the same time each day. Things such as your Town Hall, Event Buildings, and many other buildings, are a hard 24-hour. Others, such as producing goods or supplies have varied times - on this, I would recommend using an 8 hour production, or if you are not relatively certain of being around each and every 8 hour occurence, do 24 hours, timed with your Town Hall. This will enable your collections to occur at the same time every day, and minimize the possibility of an outside neighbor of being able to plunder you.
On the plus side though, you can also plunder your neighbors (your choice, 100% if you want to do this or not - however there are the odd quests that will require you to plunder, but those do not happen often).
Your neighbor plundering you is just a minor irritant - like a mosquito, Take it for what it is, accept and move along, or do not accept and move elsewhere. The irritation of being plundered is just that, irritation, but it will not really affect your game play. As far as your Goods production (if that is what is being plundered), ensure you are only producing those goods that you are receiving the 5x bonus on - and have a few of them - so even if one gets plundered, you still have a couple others suppling you with goods to use in the game.

DeletedUser

Paladiac, wise words, much appreciated, I'll do as you say, thanks :blush:

PomPoms

Sergeant
Forkin and Loki, you can learn TONS about this game in Youtube. There are many, many, instructional videos there that you may find helpful. If you have time, it is well worth checking out to help with fine tuning your game. I have been playing for 7 years, and I am not yet in the highest Era! This is what we mean by taking your time, although, you can go a bit faster than me! You have received lots of help here, but there are so many tips that you could still learn!

Homestar

Private
If you are able to be on the game at regular times, the best method to protect your city (which you can also find reading the forums), is to time your collections so that they all collect at the same time each day.

You KNOW that there is NO way to protect your city. I saw someone with city 1400% defense get defeated, and I highly doubt that isn't a record by any means. There is NO way to prevent from getting plundered every 24 hours. Do you suggest spending diamonds to try to achieve a 5000% city protection in 2 weeks? That is completely unrealistic.

I set all 8 hour productions and set an alarm to go off just before they finished. Miraculously, as I was dragging the cursor to collect all the buildings, he plundered in front of my eyes again (the game had an error and booted me at that exact moment). There is NO way to have this perfect, down to the second timing without cheating.

On the plus side though, you can also plunder your neighbors (your choice, 100% if you want to do this or not - however there are the odd quests that will require you to plunder, but those do not happen often)..

...if you spend thousands of dollars on diamonds to build your city to be invincible, which will fail anyway as noted above. The damn world is 2 weeks old and there are bullies who are hopelessly huge. There is no hope for those who "only" spend hundreds on the game. I'm not getting a second mortgage to try to snag 9000 watchfires from the event or junk dealer, and I doubt that I'm alone.

Your neighbor plundering you is just a minor irritant - like a mosquito

You know that this is false. A "mosquito" doesn't drain 8 hours of production from you every single day. One third of a day is lost every day.

Take it for what it is, accept and move along, or do not accept and move elsewhere.

"If you don't like it, quit the game!" Yes, that seems to be Inno's attitude. It seems like an odd approach to marketing a game. I believe that the game is more fun with more people. Obviously, opinions vary.

The irritation of being plundered is just that, irritation, but it will not really affect your game play..

Once again, losing a third of a day of production every 24 hours is much more than an irritation and you know that. We will soon fall behind everyone else since we lose one third of a production every 24 hours. There already isn't any hope of competing against the deep pockets and it gets worse by the day. There is nothing that can be done except quitting the game, as you pointed out. tydt

As far as your Goods production (if that is what is being plundered), ensure you are only producing those goods that you are receiving the 5x bonus on - and have a few of them - so even if one gets plundered, you still have a couple others suppling you with goods to use in the game.

You give obvious advice and once again make it sound like losing a third of a day every day is nothing. You know that this is a problem. I realize that you think this is all funny and you don't care. There is no way to compete in this game unless you are in the top 0.1% of spenders. That is reality. Be honest about it.

Burpo

Sergeant
You KNOW that there is NO way to protect your city. I saw someone with city 1400% defense get defeated, and I highly doubt that isn't a record by any means. There is NO way to prevent from getting plundered every 24 hours. Do you suggest spending diamonds to try to achieve a 5000% city protection in 2 weeks? That is completely unrealistic.
Hi Homestar, I feel for your pain and I know what it is like because I hate plunderers too and I never plunder others (except if a quest asks for it).
My best tactic is to send them a friend request and hope they accept (unfortunately some will not accept because they want to keep stealing).
In early game you will not have enough tavern coins to buy city shield so that method is out. But if you can afford, that method is 100% effective.

Lastly, the only thing you can do is change the time of your collection.
If you normally collect at 8am, then change it one day to 10am (after getting plundered).
The thief cannot see what time your collection is due and on the second day he will have to hang around for 2 hours constantly checking your city to see if anything can be plundered yet.
Eventually your hood will change and you can hopefully be rid of him for a while.

Matt999

Private
You know that this is false. A "mosquito" doesn't drain 8 hours of production from you every single day. One third of a day is lost every day.

On one building. IF they get to it before you. If you're setting an alarm and they're still getting to your building before you can consistently, you need to change the time you're collecting. If they are still beating you to it after that, you must be doing something predictably for this to happen. It is a strategy-based city building war game - you can likely avoid 99.9% of plunders by employing a better strategy.

Many ultimately get rid of goods buildings anyway, and use a CF to generate 100x the goods with 0 chance of it getting plundered.

topazn

Private
It's just my way of seeing things. But plundering is part of the game. There is plenty of way to avoid it (tavern shield, galata or collecting in time) If it could be avoided by just blocking the player, this feature wouldn't make any sense.

Shad23

Emperor
with time patience and by using lot of advice it is possible to build an un-plunderable city , i don't have goods buildings or supply buildings in my city and i only have one barrack i still have a few buildings that can be plundered but i don't realy care anymore so not realy a problem for me cause all i need in game is provided to me by my GB's

Emberguard

Legend
On one building. IF they get to it before you.
You've only lost a third of the day (on a single production) if you don't plunder back is anything truly lost. If it's truly impossible to defend then there's nothing stopping you from plundering back

"If you don't like it, quit the game!" Yes, that seems to be Inno's attitude. It seems like an odd approach to marketing a game. I believe that the game is more fun with more people. Obviously, opinions vary.
It's not a weird marketing strategy. You can't build a racing game without a race, so if the race is a deal breaker then it's a deal breaker on any game that's a racing game.

Forge of Empires was built as a city based war game with plundering as a component of that. However you do have ways to defend yourself. For one thing anything motivated is fully protected for the duration of the aid

Skibs

Private
Hi all, first post, was coming on here to look for advice on plunderers and found this thread, its been really useful so thanks to all who have chipped in. First off, I've learned that I've gone about it all the wrong way and ploughing ahead rather than broadening, I'm a handful of FP's away from going up an age and getting access to the goods there so I'll do that and then start to concentrate on the GB's etc. I need to start reading up on here a lot more too, I'm going to be a busy boy. :lol:

-Jovian-

Private
This is a good thread for new players to read.
It's only through reading threads like this that we learn that it's actually not a good idea to advance a quickly as possible, which is kind of counter-intuitive, given that the tech-tree is quite easy to get through, in the early ages at least.
I also 'rushed' into Early Middle Age, where I'll sit for the time being, building up stocks and Great Buildings.

Skibs

Private
This is a good thread for new players to read.
It's only through reading threads like this that we learn that it's actually not a good idea to advance a quickly as possible, which is kind of counter-intuitive, given that the tech-tree is quite easy to get through, in the early ages at least.
I also 'rushed' into Early Middle Age, where I'll sit for the time being, building up stocks and Great Buildings.

I'm just about to creep into the Late middle ages, I've had the resources for over a week as I've blitzkrieged through mostly by negotiating and waiting for the tech to catch up. Once I've got my new goods on line its GB's for me, I've been quite good about having plenty goods 'factories' so it might be a case of sucking it up and using diamonds to complete the Statue of Zeus blueprint as I have the required 'goods'. This game gets under your skin, doesn't it ??

Janet Devlin

Corporal
It does get under and I guess that is what keeps us coming back? This is a good thread. I'm here! lol just joking. But seriously, I've used a lot of time and resources for only one purpose - defense - as queen of my kingdom feel the pain of my citizen's sighing over plunder. If I miss an unfair trade or my gambling goes bad can live with it because it is on me. Yep, its not all about winning but just playing the game the way you want to. Some of the buildings are really cute.