• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Guild Expeditions - Extra Attempts as reward

Nymegan

Private
Straight up I don't like the extra "attempts" as a reward in guild expeditions. Currently I fight my way through and don't need this reward. I would rather something of benefit to my city rather than something that only aids me in the GE.

If I was negotiating I can see its value. However, as luck would have it I have won all the 1st level 2 attempt rewards for the last few weeks and at least one 4 attempt reward as well. Perhaps the answer is to reduce the percentage chances to something like 5% instead of 45%.

Alternatively have different rewards depending on whether you fight or negotiate... But I can see that would mean more coding work, so isn't a short term viable fix.

DeletedUser106696

Keep in mind that older players may have an Alcatraz and hence a few extra troops... I'd rather have attempts than coins/supplies/ToR blueprints in order to get GE done and dusted in a couple of days. Unfortunately I'm still saving up for my last medal expansion, so medals is not (yet) an option.

Nymegan

Private
Thanks for the support! I think most who posted agree it is a waste of a "reward". Hedonist58 nailed it the fact that it doesn't cover expenses in any shape or form.
The only opposite view point expressed was from Wife of Vlad who I suspect negotiates rather than fights through GE. Fair point to you it is a definite reward, something I admitted in my initial post. The concern the rest of us have is that it is no reward to us. It primarily benefits negotiators, or those who have limited time or ability to get on line and those who find the whole GE a chore and just want it over. I think those players are in the minority, so having a prize that has a high chance of rewarding you with nothing is a dud idea for the majority.

Perhaps if the "extra attempt prize" came up with 2 options on it. The attempts can be option 1 and option 2 could be a medal package scaled to your progress in the game. Best of both worlds? Maybe that would make everyone happy...

DeletedUser106696

Since you mention me by name... actually, I fight :) levels 1-3 and do not bother with L4, as I don't think rewards are worth the losses.

However, sitting on 200 Million coins and more supplies than I'll ever need to complete OF I find coins/supplies less of a reward than attempts. Keep in mind that this is a weekly feature, so being given lots of buildings is not really an option - my inventory is stuffed with stuff I'll never build :(.

In my ideal world I'd finish L1-3 in an evening rather than having to drag out those battles over 3 days. After all, there's real life outside those FoE city walls...

Edit: On the topic of GE being a chore, I'm surprised that you seem so sure that the majority of folks don't think it is... I would maintain that many players who are able to fight L3 (me included) would consider L1 a chore. No challenge, just a day wasted "battling" seriously underpowerd units from yesteryear. Unfortunately you have to do that to get to the more interesting fights.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser12400

I don't mind the extra attempts, I often find them useful also there are many players who don't spend much time playing during the week. Many of us like to either maximize our Tavern boost, or clear as much of GE as we can while we have the time. AND, clearing a GE encounter is worthwhile even if you don't want the extra attempts, because the main point is to maximize the Guild Power Points that your guild receives at the end of the week. Each encounter not only adds to the guild points that earn those Power Points, but they count toward the completion percentage for the championship and bonus % on top of that. And the more Guild Power Points your guild earns, the faster your guild levels up, which means more bonuses for you.

DeletedUser110382

I too fight my way through and never get to use the extra attempts rewards. Lucky me I usually get at least 3 - 5 on the way through level 1. I feel cheated getting a dud reward, at least a couple of medals would be of some use.

Nymegan

Private
Thanks for the replies. Particularly those who like the extra "attempts". I hadn't really considered GE from the point of view of players so far advanced that L1 is not a challenge anymore but feels like a waste of time.
There is a divide though. Newer players like myself would still prefer an actual reward, to go along with our guild benefiting. The "attempts" just doesn't provide this. I like the idea of a few medals combined with the "attempts" or change the reward so that it is an either/or option "attempts" or medals. The player chooses as it suits them on the day. Currently I get "attempts" rewards as my ability to fight has been degraded. Hence they are wasted while my units recover.
Another idea I had was to trade the extra "attempts" for a reward. It would be great to be able to trade them for something. A few medals would be ideal.

Lastly, I have had a few occasions where I have won attempts but have only used 1 attempt from the full bar, so the extra won attempts bar refill the bar and the remainder are lost. It would be nice to actually get those attempts or something in exchange for them.

DeletedUser6065

The extra attempts are vital to those with limited time for FoE, yet wish to contribute to their Guild as much as they can.
This has just recently happen with me, as suddenly Real Life reared its ugly head.
All I can basically do is Pol/Mot and GEx with the extra attempts.
. . . . mk

DeletedUser110195

I'm perfectly fine with extra attempts, lets me plow through lvl 1-3 faster and gives me more time to cook my homegrown rogues for next week, which, by the way, is how you bulldoze GE on the first three levels without taking crushing losses....at least before you have a combined 64 levels on your Zeus/Aachen/CdM. I don't have traz, but I still build up more unattached units than I can use in a week, thanks to those rogues.

Vesiger

Monarch
I'm perfectly fine with extra attempts, lets me plow through lvl 1-3 faster and gives me more time to cook my homegrown rogues for next week, which, by the way, is how you bulldoze GE on the first three levels without taking crushing losses....at least before you have a combined 64 levels on your Zeus/Aachen/CdM. I don't have traz, but I still build up more unattached units than I can use in a week, thanks to those rogues.
How do you manage GE battles against mixed units with nothing but a single unit and rogues? Don't you find that half your troops are ineffective against half the enemy?

DeletedUser110195

How do you manage GE battles against mixed units with nothing but a single unit and rogues? Don't you find that half your troops are ineffective against half the enemy?
Oh I don't do that, I go 4 ranged/4 rogues usually, but if I REALLY want an encounter beaten I put my 2 quest reward light units from the next age in with 6 rogues, even heavy units don't have a chance. Of course, there are rare instances where I'll put my single next age ranged unit in with 7 rogues, but having the range and power to decimate them, I tend to destroy a sufficient amount of the defending army before they get all my rogues transformed.

DeletedUser110131

I fight through all four levels. On the first three levels, the extra attempts can be useful, though most often, after eight simple battles in a row, I'm at a point where I need some time to recover from boredom. On a couple of occasions, when I've been pressed for time, and had to get through a lot of battles quickly, they have been nice. Generally speaking, they go to waste. That doesn't exactly make them unique, though. My inventory is stuffed with rewards I'll never use, and the coin and supply rewards are too small to make any difference. Most rewards are mostly useless to most players.

The alternative isn't to have lots of excellent rewards, though. That would make the game too easy, and give to great an advantage to GE players; it's a matter of that balancing thing that's so often referred to. The mostly useless rewards are there to balance out the excellent ones. The alternatives are either to replace the mostly useless rewards with no rewards at all, and have fewer rewards, or have the same number of rewards, none of them useless, none of them excellent, and all of them just completely average.