• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

[Guide]How to take a screenshot.

DeletedUser

This does not really explain anything about Forge of Empires, but I figure this is needed just as bad as any other guide to some. I will show you the basic way to take a screenshot in this tutorial.

I have noticed that a lot of people may not know exactly how this is done, and will try my best to show exactly how to do it. A screenshot helps us see what bug you may be reporting, in the support system, and on this forum.

Find what you want to take a picture of.

It could be a bug, or anything else for that matter, for the purpose of this guide, i will use my trade window.

City.jpg

Now when I am sitting with the view of my trade window up, I will press this button on my keyboard:

prt sc button.jpg printscreen3.jpg

The Print screen button can have only the letters prt sc on it, or other variants, such as these above.

Note that on some laptops, you must hold the Fn key down, or turn on the num lock key to activate the prt sc button.

Now when you press this, you do not get a notification that it worked, but as long as you pressed the button, it did.

Okay, now minimize your browser, and go to the start menu on your computer, the button is on the bottom left of your monitor. Once that is open go to All programs, then accessories, and you will see the Paint program in there:

Startmenu.jpg allpro.jpg acces.jpg Paint.jpg

Once inside paint, press the control, and the V keys at the same time on your keyboard:

keyboard-ctrl-key.jpg keyboard.jpg

This will paste the screen shot in to your Paint program.

Now that the screen shot is in the Paint program, you should edit it so that it only shows what you want it to show, like in my case, I only wanted to show my trade window, so I edit out everything, but that part:

Editedtrade.jpg

The best way to remove unwanted parts of the image is to press this button here:

Select.jpg

Then drag the square over the area you want to keep, and press this button:

Crop.jpg

Once this is done, press the floppy disk button up top to save, choose where you want to save the file so you do not misplace it, name the file, and change the format to .Jpeg:

Save.jpg

Deskto.jpg Savename.jpg Jpeg.jpg

This is the basic way how to take a screenshot, I hope it is explained well.

Please note that I use Windows 7, on XP, and Vista it is pretty much the same except the Start button may look a bit different.

How to take a screenshot on a Mac:

These 3 simple ways to take a screenshot will save the file automatically onto your desktop.

Command+SHIFT+3 - Copies images on all monitors
Command+SHIFT+4 - Click and drag to select the portion of screen you want
Command+SHIFT+4, then Spacebar - Click to select a specific application window

Here are the button locations for the Mac screenshot:

6sIcV.png

Thanks for playing Forge of Empires.

A special thanks to BartiMaeus for the mac screenshot instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thats nice Herluth. :)

Now you need to explain how to use the screenshot when posting a mssage on the forums.

DeletedUser

This method is mainly for uploading bug report screenshots, and if you need to upload a bunch of images, for example, the Picture count to..... forum game, please use an external site to put those images on the forums.

To upload a file on to this forum, while making a new thread, or responding to one, click this button:

upload.jpg

Once there, make sure you are set on the computer tab:

computer1.jpg

Once you are in that tab, click select file:

selectfile.jpg

Look through your computer in the section you saved your screenshot, select it, and press open. Once in the window, press upload file:

uploadfile.jpg

Now the image will show up in your post.

I will add more soon.

DeletedUser

How to upload an attachment to the support tickets in-game.

When you decided to make a support ticket after a bug has annoyed you for too long, sometimes adding a screenshot say's a million words.

Start by making a support ticket, choose the world, and reason, IE, Bug, Ban Appeal, Premium, and press submit. Go through, and confirm this, and then make your ticket. After submitting, please right click in-game, and open up support again, This is what you should see:

Support overview.jpg

Once in there, open up the ticket you just made, Top right of the page, click the Upload New Attachment button which will bring up this on the same page:

Attach.jpg

Now you can press the Browse button, this will bring up a list of all the files on your PC, go to the destination of your file, locate the file there, and open the file. Once this is done, hit the upload button.

Once you press upload, the screen will look like this:

attach2.jpg

Note: you can add multiple screenshots, no more than 5 though.

Now, just scroll down on the screen, and press this button to go back to your main ticket list, or exit out, and wait on a reply:

Back.jpg

DeletedUser

Thanks - that is useful.

Nice to see you allowing uploads to the site. Many sites insist on graphics images coming off a service like photobucket. That is great for a while but the pictures are often deleted as time goes by, and the post ends up without a valid link and becomes meaningless.

DeletedUser

Yes, I guess I should say to use an external as much as possible, but sometimes with bugs, it is just easier this way.

Edited main guide to add this tidbit.

DeletedUser2206

This is awesome, and this old dinosaur actually got it to work. (I am the old dino, not the computer, lol)

DeletedUser

Hi, I have finally managed to get hi score pic. onto desktop and from there to photobucket but haven't managed to upload to game

DeletedUser

Updated the upload to the support system part, a little out of date.