• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Graphics, Sounds and Animations in Battles

DeletedUser

Proposal:

Some smaller improvements to the graphics, animations and the sound system in battles.

• Let killed units remain on the ground.
  • Units such as infantry should draw blood when killed or heavily injured.
  • Sounds should always be played for every unit.
  • Sounds should be timed to match all animation speeds.
  • Animations fast speed (>>) should be set to default.
  • Animations normal speed (>) should represent slow speed.

Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea?

Searching for "graphic", "sound" or "animation" did not return any equal ideas.

Reason:

The current battle system lacks some important visual aspects of reality. This would improve the visual quality and realism of the battlesystem, resulting in an overall raise in the games quality, not to mention that it would also look better.

Details:

Rendering killed units on the ground and smaller amounts of blood would give the battle system some more visual realism. I'm not suggesting that we should turn it into an episode of Spartacus, but some smaller amounts can absolutely be added for a better and more realistic visual quality.

Sounds are sometimes skipped when multiple attacks come close to each other. For instance, the sound is only played once for 2 muskets firing quick after each other. This affects the gameplay experience in a bad way as we expect to hear the sounds of swords, rifles and battle cries in a battle.

Sounds currently are only matched for the normal animation speed (>). This means that when playing animations on fast or fastest mode, the visual attack comes first, and then some seconds later the sound. The sound should always be matched by the animation, regardless of animation speed.

Animations on the normal speed (>) are way to slow to be considered "normal" speed. I personally have never ever seen a horse run that slow. The same applies to infantry, they are absolutely not running like it would have been a battle of life and death. The current fast speed (>>) matches reality much better, maybe just a tiny reduction in speed and it would be perfect.

Is there actually anyone that fights on a regular basis that use the normal speed (>)? I therefore think that a better solution would be to make the current fast speed (>>) to become the normal speed, and the current normal speed (>) would become slow speed. See the table below:

Current SpeedCurrent IconNew SpeedNew Icon
Normal>Slow>
Fast>>Normal>>
Fastest>>>Fast>>>

Visual Aids:

Battle.png

Balance/Abuse Prevention:

This suggestion will not affect balance or allow any abuse as it's only changes to graphics, sounds and animations.

DeletedUser9168

I am puzzled - how do you change the speed of your battle?

DeletedUser

Speed.png

By clicking on the highlighted button in the image above, you can switch between 3 modes:

>Normal
>>Fast
>>>Fastest

DeletedUser2029

- No to blood, that would push this game into PG territory (personally I don't mind but also don't care)
- as for the corpses on the ground, I would say yes because of the realism (you couldn't fight on the hex where the corpse is for example), but I think that they didn't implement this also because of censorship
- no to changing game speed (this suggestion could only come from serious amount of frustration in a HC PvPer, I feel for you)
- any idea that calls for graphics improvements at this point is a waste of time (make it work better, worry about aesthetics later)

DeletedUser

- No to blood, that would push this game into PG territory (personally I don't mind but also don't care)
- as for the corpses on the ground, I would say yes because of the realism (you couldn't fight on the hex where the corpse is for example), but I think that they didn't implement this also because of censorship
- no to changing game speed (this suggestion could only come from serious amount of frustration in a HC PvPer, I feel for you)
- any idea that calls for graphics improvements at this point is a waste of time (make it work better, worry about aesthetics later)

But what's the censorship of corpses on the ground? The player has already witnessed their death so their body is the smallest problem?

What is your opinion about matching the sounds to the animation then? If feels pretty strange that the field gun goes of and 2 seconds later your hear "ssssss... BOOM" ;)

EDIT: And what about some sounds beeing skipped? Shouldn't all sounds be played? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser6461

-1 for Blood and corpse.
Sorry my friend, but didn't you read this stuff before : Disgusted by whale oil plant
I really don't care for sound since I am not using it most of the time. Regarding speed, once you set it to fast (most of us are already done this from the very beginning), it's automatic. you don't need to adjust it anymore. So, I don't think it needs any more attention until some one really feels to speed up the fight anymore.

DeletedUser2029

But what's the censorship of corpses on the ground? The player has already witnessed their death so their body is the smallest problem?

What is your opinion about matching the sounds to the animation then? If feels pretty strange that the field gun goes of and 2 seconds later your hear "ssssss... BOOM" ;)

EDIT: And what about some sounds beeing skipped? Shouldn't all sounds be played? :)

don't ask me to explain censorship to you because I also find it difficult to reason with. I just made a wild guess, but based on some personal experience, that's the same answer you'll probably get from Inno staff.

as for the graphics and sounds, that's not really an issue for the ideas section, that sounds more like a bug or performance issue, something they're probably aware of, but it's not high on the priority list.

DeletedUser

-1 for Blood and corpse.
Sorry my friend, but didn't you read this stuff before : Disgusted by whale oil plant
I really don't care for sound since I am not using it most of the time. Regarding speed, once you set it to fast (most of us are already done this from the very beginning), it's automatic. you don't need to adjust it anymore. So, I don't think it needs any more attention until some one really feels to speed up the fight anymore.

Yeah I've read that thread before. Why I'm suggesting it is just becouse, I mean, it is war, I find it more strange that bodies are able to magically dissapear ;)

But regarding the speed; I'm also using it on fast (>>) all the time, I find it more realistic that way, and imagine the time it would take to attack all neighboors on the normal speed. But the problem is, it's not automatic, the sounds are not matched by the other animations except of normal.

Maybe a setting that allows people to turn the blood and corpse off? :)

DeletedUser6461

If there is an option to off and on the blood and corpse, I don't don't mind it. But I am not sure if it's that worthy to have some dedicated button purely for this purpose. It can be set some where inside the setting itself where you can switch off the animation at present.

Speed button seems not needed any serious attention atm since it's working just fine for me as I needed. (I did not change the speed since i have made the fast selection at the very beginning and it's just working perfect in every battle).

DeletedUser14587

+1 i will love to see some blood in the battle field before i leave seems good for awar game

DeletedUser9168

By clicking on the highlighted button in the image above, you can switch between 3 modes:

>Normal
>>Fast
>>>Fastest
Thank you for that information, Falcon. I can't believe I could have avoided doing all my PVP at yawn-speed for so many months!
I just tried out fastest speed now (even tho towers have finished atm) and it was fantastic!
Makes me wonder what else i haven't discovered in the game yet.

DeletedUser

Thank you for that information, Falcon. I can't believe I could have avoided doing all my PVP at yawn-speed for so many months!
I just tried out fastest speed now (even tho towers have finished atm) and it was fantastic!
Makes me wonder what else i haven't discovered in the game yet.

No problem :) I think the fastest speed is slightly too fast, sometimes it gets even hard to see what happend where, so I usually use the fast option (>>). But what do you think about the suggestion? :p

Oh and, I must say that I really like both your signature image and your profile image (i really love birds) ;)

DeletedUser9168

I think it would be better if dead unit remain on the ground, blocking that hex from further use, but that might well cause a stalemate. I wouldn't want to see blood and guts though. I never have sounds or music on when i'm playing so I miss out on the sound effects anyway.

quote"Oh and, I must say that I really like both your signature image and your profile image (i really love birds) "
I love birds too, and Seraphim did a great job for me making the sig and avatar - I highly recommend her talents!

DeletedUser7719

• let killed units remain on the ground.
  • units such as infantry should draw blood when killed or heavily injured.
Wouldn't mind this being implemented. Best to have it as an option with the default setting off ;)
  • sounds should always be played for every unit.
  • sounds should be timed to match all animation speeds.
That just sounds like a bug. I rather report it than make them ideas
  • animations fast speed (>>) should be set to default.
  • animations normal speed (>) should represent slow speed.
Nope. Normal felt normal when I first played this game. Having it called "slow" sounds pointless to me.

DeletedUser

I think it would be better if dead unit remain on the ground, blocking that hex from further use, but that might well cause a stalemate. I wouldn't want to see blood and guts though. I never have sounds or music on when i'm playing so I miss out on the sound effects anyway.

Yeah, I thought about that aswell, units that are killed cannot block the square from further use. In that case, for instance, 3 artillery units can move up into a corner, the 2 standing at the front will get killed, and unless the enemy has artillery or ranged units, that artillery wont be able to be destroyed. Corpses must be a visual "decoration" (haha) only :)

quote"Oh and, I must say that I really like both your signature image and your profile image (i really love birds) "
I love birds too, and Seraphim did a great job for me making the sig and avatar - I highly recommend her talents!

I'll ask her if she want to make one for me aswell or atleast tell me where she got that nice Eagle :)

Wouldn't mind this being implemented. Best to have it as an option with the default setting off ;)

That just sounds like a bug. I rather report it than make them ideas

Nope. Normal felt normal when I first played this game. Having it called "slow" sounds pointless to me.

As long as the sound is matching the animation it doesn't matter for me, I'll just keep it on fast (>>) ;)

But I'll report it as a bug then, and I'm glad you liked the suggestion about blood and corpses :)