• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Galata Tower Feedback!

• Thread starter Deleted member 109369
  • Start date

eeyore

Corporal
Having one Rocket Troop in your DA helps with that.
Mmh, not really. Having tried the other way round (attacking with 6 or 7 rogues and one unit), my attacking rogues get fired at (and converted into a proper unit) first by the other player's DA. So, I often win, however do not plunder.

And Galata Tower gives at least a small percentage chance of fending off the plunderer. Saying that, if a player is attacked (and breached), say, 10 times a day, then Galata really stops to work, as it only fends of up to two attempts (with varying percentages). So, really, everybody wins.

eeyore

Corporal
Oh the anti plunder side of it is stupid and should be removed, why should bad players who are bad at the game be rewarded? but the goods are great.
Now, not all players who have a weak defence are "bad at the game". I think it is very much potluck how one ends up. You could be a brilliant strategist and really battle well in GE or GBG but if you do not strike lucky at special events (and get the top level upgrades to special buildings) then there is little one can do apart from finding themselves with a weaker defence: Yes, there are Tactician's Towers, Watch Towers etc, but again, they are obtained more by luck in special events. The antiques dealer sometimes sells defensive items, but they are far and few in between.

Emberguard

Legend
Now, not all players who have a weak defence are "bad at the game". I think it is very much potluck how one ends up. You could be a brilliant strategist and really battle well in GE or GBG but if you do not strike lucky at special events (and get the top level upgrades to special buildings) then there is little one can do apart from finding themselves with a weaker defence: Yes, there are Tactician's Towers, Watch Towers etc, but again, they are obtained more by luck in special events. The antiques dealer sometimes sells defensive items, but they are far and few in between.
I’d argue a good defense has nothing to do with pot luck. You are guaranteed to be able to build up a defense if you make that a priority

The problem is how much value a good defense has. If every building that comes through events had some sort of defending army bonus added to it as a matter of course in addition to anything else added normally, then that would fix a lot of the problem. Because then you’d be able to build up your defenses without sacrificing Forge Points, Goods or Attacking Army bonuses

Fact of the matter is if you’re placing defences down as an alternative to placing something else down then you have a daily maintenance cost. That cost being whatever you just reduced your production by. If I have to forgo 20 goods a day (for example) to prevent plunderers from taking my stuff then it is already costing me 20 goods daily in “maintenance“ regardless of whether anyone succeeds or fails to get through.

If it is taking up space I would have used for something else and is not saving me at a bare minimum whatever I can’t place down (in this case the hypothetical 20 goods) on a daily basis then I am losing resources by defending at all. I’d actually be making a profit by foregoing all defences, being plundered and working on improving my layout so I can squeeze more buildings into my city. It only benefits those who are being plundered on a regular basis by multiple plunderers to be defending

eeyore

Corporal
Really?

May I suggest you look up how the Galata Tower works.
I have, and until Level 12, it only fends off 2 plundering attempts at 29.06% success rate each (every 24hrs until collection - then resets).
Only from Level 13, it could fend off 3 plunder attempts at 29.38% success rate each (every 24hrs until collection - then resets).

It is difficult to collect BPs: so to reach Level 13 unlocking you need 36 (4x9 complete sets) of BPs, so quite difficult. The percentages of success go up marginally with each level. If this is not how it works please send me the link. Thank you.

Knight of ICE

I have, and until Level 12, it only fends off 2 plundering attempts at 29.06% success rate each (every 24hrs until collection - then resets).
Only from Level 13, it could fend off 3 plunder attempts at 29.38% success rate each (every 24hrs until collection - then resets).

It is difficult to collect BPs: so to reach Level 13 unlocking you need 36 (4x9 complete sets) of BPs, so quite difficult. The percentages of success go up marginally with each level. If this is not how it works please send me the link. Thank you.

On the world you play EN1, there are 455 GT's level 20 or up. Highest one has level 101.

eeyore

Corporal
On the world you play EN1, there are 455 GT's level 20 or up. Highest one has level 101.
Thank you for this information. That, however, does not improve the stats in itself for that there are two more "lotteries" to contain with:
1: Actually getting a spot on the ladder (Level 11 requires 683 FP to level): More likely than not, other players jump in to "usurp" to the best spot
2: Once BPs are collected, they only make a set if they are unique: So the "trading" starts; the AI of the game is random at best and often duplicates existing BP slots, leaving usually one left for ages and ages (probably a prompt to spend diamonds).

The actual stats of the tower, no doubt, improve; but it requires a huge deal of effort and luck.

Knight of ICE

Thank you for this information. That, however, does not improve the stats in itself for that there are two more "lotteries" to contain with:
1: Actually getting a spot on the ladder (Level 11 requires 683 FP to level): More likely than not, other players jump in to "usurp" to the best spot
2: Once BPs are collected, they only make a set if they are unique: So the "trading" starts; the AI of the game is random at best and often duplicates existing BP slots, leaving usually one left for ages and ages (probably a prompt to spend diamonds).

The actual stats of the tower, no doubt, improve; but it requires a huge deal of effort and luck.

If that were true there would not be so many high level GT's.

The problem is the way you approach this. You look at your own situation and then claim it requires a huge deal of effort and luck. Maybe for you it does, but not for most players.

It surprises me to see that you are in SAV and do not even have an Arc. Since you have been playing since 2013 you can not have been rushing the game, so you must be a very casual player. Anything would look like it needs a huge effort and luck in your situation.

I’d argue a good defense has nothing to do with pot luck. You are guaranteed to be able to build up a defense if you make that a priority

The problem is how much value a good defense has. If every building that comes through events had some sort of defending army bonus added to it as a matter of course in addition to anything else added normally, then that would fix a lot of the problem. Because then you’d be able to build up your defenses without sacrificing Forge Points, Goods or Attacking Army bonuses

Fact of the matter is if you’re placing defences down as an alternative to placing something else down then you have a daily maintenance cost. That cost being whatever you just reduced your production by. If I have to forgo 20 goods a day (for example) to prevent plunderers from taking my stuff then it is already costing me 20 goods daily in “maintenance“ regardless of whether anyone succeeds or fails to get through.

If it is taking up space I would have used for something else and is not saving me at a bare minimum whatever I can’t place down (in this case the hypothetical 20 goods) on a daily basis then I am losing resources by defending at all. I’d actually be making a profit by foregoing all defences, being plundered and working on improving my layout so I can squeeze more buildings into my city. It only benefits those who are being plundered on a regular basis by multiple plunderers to be defending
Very true. All the space some players use on small defence buildings could have been used on production instead (fps, goods). and the payout from those productions would be higher than the loss to plunderers.

eeyore

Corporal
It surprises me to see that you are in SAV and do not even have an Arc. Since you have been playing since 2013 you can not have been rushing the game, so you must be a very casual player. Anything would look like it needs a huge effort and luck in your situation.

I started in 2012, with the "beta" version (not officially "beta"), and - indeed - I can certainly not rush. Have my paid day-job to consider, that has to come first. Also, I do not like aggression (whether real life or a game), so tend to attack others very rarely.

When the game first started, I was under the impression that either a trading route or a war-game route could work in FoE, so chose "trading". So, admittedly, the city was not set out right from the outset. May consider a revamp of the city. Many thanks

r21r

Major-General
Very true. All the space some players use on small defence buildings could have been used on production instead (fps, goods). and the payout from those productions would be higher than the loss to plunderers.
it's more like a competition as i have seen it.
it's fun sometimes to surprise some attackers (not efficient though)

Janet Devlin

Corporal
I started in 2012, with the "beta" version (not officially "beta"), and - indeed - I can certainly not rush. Have my paid day-job to consider, that has to come first. Also, I do not like aggression (whether real life or a game), so tend to attack others very rarely.

When the game first started, I was under the impression that either a trading route or a war-game route could work in FoE, so chose "trading". So, admittedly, the city was not set out right from the outset. May consider a revamp of the city. Many thanks
What is right for one person might not be right for another. Trading is a choice. Everyone playing has different strategies and even if players like to steer towards efficiency or competition what is really stopping someone from trying a different approach? True on the forum while describing our preferences it might bring an occasional boo or comment describing our particular decision as slow, silly or maybe seems wrong but these are just another players preference.

I don't know I like setting goals and enjoy trade more than conflict. My thrill is to construct or obtain something and presently it is a Galata Tower simply because I want it. The arc though it makes perfect sense just looks ugly to me. LOL Its funny though since I'm early on in the game things like getting the big wheel from the archaeology event I worked really hard to obtain. Just that presently it seems somewhat strange around iron age buildings to me. I'll need to wait until I grow up. :)

My only point - whatever allows us to enjoy the game just go with it?

Knight of ICE

You should play the way you want to play. What I am saying is that your view on the Galata Tower is influenced by the way you play. What you consider to be a huge effort and a lot of luck is actually a piece of cake to a lot of other players and has even been made easier when the GT became an EMA GB.

eeyore

Corporal
What is right for one person might not be right for another. Trading is a choice. Everyone playing has different strategies ...
... enjoy trade more than conflict. My thrill is to construct or obtain something and presently it is a Galata Tower simply because I want it. The arc though it makes perfect sense just looks ugly to me.....
My only point - whatever allows us to enjoy the game just go with it?

@Janet Devlin : I agree, you are making very sensible points here re strategies that vary from player to player and re the enjoyment.
You are absolutely right about Galata: I also wanted to build it AND it looks pretty. Some GBs, indeed look very ugly and don't fit into a city that wants to be pleasantly laid out.
In real life, I cannot stand metropolitan cities where concrete, steel high-rises dominate, and abhor the human pestilence that is building ever more and destroying the planet. Therefore, my cities in FoE reflect as best as possible greenery and a pleasant, nicely built city.

r21r

Major-General
Maybe. But overall the loss to plunderers is so small that generally it's better to use space on production instead of defence.
I'm also investing in Galata , for the unrefined goods bonus.
it's very expensive to level in terms of FP "saving" means, unless you have huge chained FP production event buildings that are being left un-motivated always, which is kinda impossible...
as plunderer, in lower eras where hardly 1-2 plunderers within the hood, it was little annoying to me, but now that i moved to modern its being less triggered so im less annoyed

@Janet Devlin : I agree, you are making very sensible points here re strategies that vary from player to player and re the enjoyment.
You are absolutely right about Galata: I also wanted to build it AND it looks pretty. Some GBs, indeed look very ugly and don't fit into a city that wants to be pleasantly laid out.
In real life, I cannot stand metropolitan cities where concrete, steel high-rises dominate, and abhor the human pestilence that is building ever more and destroying the planet. Therefore, my cities in FoE reflect as best as possible greenery and a pleasant, nicely built city.
Sounds like you're one of those players who build around the wildlife on the city map to not harm the animals :lol:

Last edited:

Goremise

Lieutenant-General

100% agree! Honestly though, it gives SO much goods on a small print, the other side of it is entirely ignorable, you basically build it for goods even if you never get plundered. Because yes, the best defence is just collecting on time, when you see people with 1k defence percentage, You realise that could be 1k attacking armies defence, or of course, things that give loads more FP/goods a day.

You are plundering them, without even having to.