• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forum Forum Upgrade

• Thread starter Deleted member 109369
  • Start date

Ati2

Legend
The post text in the email notification looks like a quote here, with the left-side border. I keep looking for the post, then realize that what I believe to be a quote is the post.

DeletedUser110131

Not to be a sourpuss, but... What the [words that would've gotten me bounced from any forum] do you think you're doing?

Ahem... Apart from my personal preferences, there are two issues.
  • The divider between topics in the forums are virtually invisible, making it harder to scan quickly left to wright. I'm sure it's something we can get used to, but it's not optimal, and why have it at all, when it's nearly invisible?
  • It really is too bright, and the contrast between letters and background is too high. These are factors that make reading more tiresome.
So, in other words, my objections are #1 not enough contrast, and #2 too much contrast. I'm sure this makes me seem completely unreasonable, but there you go.

I realize that someone has probably put in quite a bit of work, trying to make something that's new and exciting, while also following the boring, old rules for optimum functionality. Reinventing the wheel isn't easy; changes must be made, but round is the only option. For that reason, I'm not going to mention what an insane combination dark blue and beige is, how the reddish dark brown clashes with both, or how insane you must be to put orange anywhere in this. I'll classify those as matters of personal taste, keep quiet, and simply declare that I'll get used to it. Probably.

However, the points about contrast are as objective as anything to do with colors can get. They're not major issues, but legitimate ones. There's room for some fine tuning.

PomPoms

Sergeant
Ok, I must be blind, perhaps by the new look. But I went to the "Ideas" section to see if there was something there I would like to support and darned if I can find new ideas. Where do I look to find properly formatted new ideas?

DeletedUser113110

Ok, I must be blind, perhaps by the new look. But I went to the "Ideas" section to see if there was something there I would like to support and darned if I can find new ideas. Where do I look to find properly formatted new ideas?
This may help:

DeletedUser112017

If I tell you that you'll get used to it, you won't believe me.

i've suffered from migranes now and again all my life have no problem with this so far,i find the cream better than white as board background,the background image needs changing as said before

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
First day, strong objection. Second day, slight objection. Third day, accustomed. Fourth day, probably like it.
This is like the third time I visited the forum since the "new skin", although somehow I have already become accustomed to it, I still some-otherwise-how would like to "cling to the old hatred" and voice my objection in a retrospective way. Thoughts:
1) Is this the color of... sh*t?
2) Everything is so bright and looks the same. Posts, names, buttons, all the same, platitude, non-distinguishable.
3) On further examination, the new theme seems to be an effort to become consistent with the ingame Message Center. But less comfortable to look at than the Message Center. The difference is that, with the Message Center, the background (city) dims out, darkens, becomes cloaked... whereas with the forum, it does not, so the background is all the time as bright as the posting area except for the small band area near the edges... ... (Also would like to mention: "darkens out" is good; "blurs out" is bad. Because it makes me wonder, is the screen blurred or my eyes, due to dizziness...)

Last edited:

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
I don't mind the new layout although I seem to have a little difficulty finding new/unread posts but I am still really struggling to read it on my PC, there really is not enough contrast between the beige background and the text

#down_with_beige
I dont know, I am just speculating, now I have a second theory. Maybe the new thing is really, really, really bad, scrambled together, so bad that even I can do it, like when I "designed" my first blog homepage, which I soon after abandoned, with "let's see, what if I put this here, and this here, and pick this color..." and it is so bad, that anyone who although criticizes it, yet not thorough enough, falls into a trap, it is like in a parenting group, a message appears that looks very strange, everyone analyzes it but finally the parent reveals, that it is the infant baby who grabbed the phone and sent a message.

Any Empire

Sergeant
3) On further examination, the new theme seems to be an effort to become consistent with the ingame Message Center. But less comfortable to look at than the Message Center.
Yeah, think it was an attempt for consistency, but it fails the readability test. If they insist on keeping this color scheme, a different default font might help.
Maybe if Verdana was the default font, and the font color was black, it might be easier to read on the PC.....

DeletedUser110131

2) Everything is so bright and looks the same. Posts, names, buttons, all the same, platitude, non-distinguishable.
It seems very monotonous, because several of the colors are very close to each other. It also makes the layout vaguer, making it harder to scan the pages qickly to get an overview.

3) On further examination, the new theme seems to be an effort to become consistent with the ingame Message Center. But less comfortable to look at than the Message Center. The difference is that, with the Message Center, the background (city) dims out, darkens, becomes cloaked.
The in-game Message Center has a much smaller window, giving much less light. It's also softened by shading and gradual transitions. It further helps that letters are either in bold font, or in softer color; both makes reading easier on the eyes. The most important factors are the smaller window and the shading, though.

First day, strong objection. Second day, slight objection. Third day, accustomed. Fourth day, probably like it.
This is like the third time I visited the forum since the "new skin", although somehow I have already become accustomed to it
I've visited quite a few times since the new skin. I've gotten more used to the displeasure, but the displeasure hasn't diminished. Experience with such things tells me that 90% of the time, I'll eventually become either fully accustomed to it, or able to ignore it. However, the physical discomfort (from the brightness) is an unusual feature, to say the least. I have to say, it's not looking good, so far.

It may be a case of too much focus on optimizing for phones. Perhaps they should have two skins, one optimized for small screens, the other optimized for large screens?

Just cut the gamma, which helped, though not as much as I expected. Also, my city plunged into darkness. Not a viable workaround, for me, at least.

At first I liked the difference, just when I first saw it. Brighter, was nice in an overall manner.

But then, trying to read, and the lettering is very fine and not dark enough- as in the lines are fine- , so the brightness is not helping that. It is hard to read.

Someone mentioned Elvenar- and behold-- this matches Elvenar-- so probably not that to code-- just reuse. Not a good idea.