• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forge of Empires: Worst Experience with MMORPG in a Decade

xxCoolHandxx

Private
I've started playing about 4-5 months ago, worked up my city to about 340,000+ points.... and now I'm about to give up.

The reason is the conclusion that this is one of poorest-organised games in the 'world' of MMORPGs I've ever experienced. At least it's a game the owner of which is favourising its 'high-ballers', and which can't care less about new players.

For days already, members of my guild (none of us has more than 340,000 points) are not only attacked, but plundered by a player with 2+ million points. Please, do not explain me about 'rules' and 'collections': I know the rules of this game, and - at least until yesterday - I used to be a very active player, collecting de-facto 'whole day' (except when sleeping, of course).

Indeed, have acquired that 'Galata Tower' and worked it up to level 5. It's entirely useless, and protecting my city from nothing at all (or at least 'so well', that I'm plundered at least once a day, always by the same player with 2+ million points).

Well, I can understand that Inno is a commercial enterprise that has to earn money and make profit. But, sorry, but after this experience alone: no way.

Atop of this, during the latest Guild Battlegrounds, our guild - in which none of us has more than 340,000 points (and we all together have about 600,000 points) - was pitted against (clockwise):

- 1 guild with 6 members, each with 1-2 million points
- 1 guild with a member with 10 million points
- 1 guild with a member with 12 million points
- 1 guild with a member with 55 million points
- 1 guild with two members with more than 6 million points
- 1 guild with 13 members, including 6 with more than 1 million points each.

OK, I understand the guilds are pitted against each other by something like (to keep this simple) their 'recent activity' etc. But, this was still not all.

On the contrary: the provincces we've been given to conquer were yielding the least victory points in comparison to those in front of other guilds, Our first was 60 points, while others had provinces with 67-70+ points. Our second was yielding 73 points: those of others 101+. Our third (which we didn't manage to conquer before it was overrun by one of opponents) was about to yield 145 points; those of the others 170+....

By side that I'm working as analyst, and thus analysing systems and recognizing patterns is my profession, but: I'm not dumb. I know (and respect) the rules, I accept that stronger players are stronger, and can defeat my 'defending army' and plunder my city. But, to be forced into enduring this for days without an end....? Or be pitted against simply impossible odds? For what? There are limits of what is bearable, and when these limits are reached, it's pointless to continue playing.

I've played lots of MMORPGs over the last 10 years. Really, not once did I experience this much favourising of 'high-ballers' - not even in the case of games owned by companies in... say, 'specific countries of Eastern Europe'. In every other game there were still ways to at least work myself around the problem and keep on 'grinding'. Not in this game: unless one pays, nothing happens, no defences work, no protection works, one is just has ever bigger obstacles put in his/her way. The experience is so bad, I see no point in playing even one day longer any more.

Thanks for your attention and have fun with seal-clubbing....

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt999

Private
If you are collecting on time, why does it matter if you're attacked, and why do you care about having Galata Tower? That's likely the point being made. There is no adverse side effects from being attacked other than plundering - and only then if you leave collections.

GBG you are against guilds with the same GBG ranking points. The number of people or how many personal points isn't a particularly great indicator of how active they are in GBG. It will take a few GBG seasons but then you'll end up against appropriate opponents.

All of the high-ballers were once low-ballers that have stuck around. I love the game, and loved it even back when I had a very plunderable city and fewer points than you. But we aren't all the same, so good luck finding a game that suits.

Forwandert

Major-General
Doesn't sound like high ballers at all sounds like some players getting themselves established and secure in a era before moving and quite active (probably camping for a while) against players moving too quick up the tech tree and not active enough to collect on time. Nobody can plunder something that's been collected so it's the best way to avoid being plundered.

The difference in pts on some of your examples could simply be a high level gb so not really relevant. Easy to gain 2/3m pts building a gb.

Some players will sit in lower eras whilst they do that also earning points from attacking. Player points isn't a good example to use to show balance as too many reasons as to why players have the points.

Burpo

Sergeant
For days already, members of my guild (none of us has more than 340,000 points) are not only attacked, but plundered by a player with 2+ million points. Please, do not explain me about 'rules' and 'collections': I know the rules of this game, and - at least until yesterday - I used to be a very active player, collecting de-facto 'whole day' (except when sleeping, of course).
I must admit that I do not like being constantly plundered either.
I always send friend requests to those who attack me and most of them accept (meaning they cannot plunder me any more).
Even with 100 million points you cannot stop players successfully attacking you (and plundering if you have any collections outstanding).
The city shield is too expensive to keep putting up so that is not a solution.
The saving grace is that only those in your neighbourhood can attack and plunder and this is changed every couple of weeks.
Hopefully a new hood and the attacker will disappear (perhaps to be replaced by others unfortunately).
But in reality, you only lose one production per day which is not a big deal - just shrug it off as a minor irritation.

If you want a better experience in GbG then you should join a bigger guild.

Madmire

Private
GbG is currently a game exploit due to faulty math with the siege camps, allowing utterly massive game resource harvesting. A lot of guilds are not interested in GbG victory points, as long as they get enough to stay in Diamond League. Its all about doing province swaps with other guilds, allowing maximum resource harvesting. This exploit has been running for two years now, and the current revisions to GbG on beta don't appear to be addressing the problem. For whatever reason Inno refuses this simple fix. Till then this game is horribly broken and you should just approach it as the pure beer and pretzels game it is. Don't take it seriously.

Emberguard

Legend
It doesn’t favour high ballers. It favours understanding game mechanics and your ability to network with those around you. Do that well and you can outgun a high baller very easily

Motivated buildings are 100% plunderproof for the duration of the Aid. So work on your friends list by aiding regularly and discarding those that don’t aid back and you won’t have a plunder problem

Knight of ICE

Motivated buildings are 100% plunderproof for the duration of the Aid. So work on your friends list by aiding regularly and discarding those that don’t aid back and you won’t have a plunder problem

You will have less of a plunder problem. Some buildings can not be motivated, so can be plundered.

-Jovian-

Private
Reference the topic title....
You haven't played The Settlers Online in the last year have you? :D

As a lower than whale poop - baller, the biggest thing I have with the game so far is that everyone speaks in abbreviations and code and seems to be an expert - expecting newbies to understand what they're talking about! :)

Last edited:

dimondus

Captain

As a lower than whale poop - baller, the biggest thing I have with the game so far is that everyone speaks in abbreviations and code and seems to be an expert - expecting newbies to understand what they're talking about! :)
I recall an abbrev. dictionary somewhere on this forum or on wiki, can't remember where exactly, it was a few years ago

Andrew420

Major
the biggest thing I have with the game so far is that everyone speaks in abbreviations and code and seems to be an expert - expecting newbies to understand what they're talking about!
I recall an abbrev. dictionary somewhere on this forum or on wiki, can't remember where exactly,

King Dael

Sergeant
Ohh? It isn't?
Does that mean, that it's wrong rp'ing as one of the citizens... and that all the other citizens aren't other players?
What a scam!
LOL

Emberguard

Legend
Does that mean, that it's wrong rp'ing as one of the citizens...
There’s nothing wrong with role playing if that’s what you want to do, go right ahead and roleplay if you find that fun. But that doesn’t mean it’s designed as a roleplaying game. Forge of Empires is definitely a Online Multiplayer, but the official classification last I checked is Strategy Game. Any roleplaying elements present aren’t developed enough to be the games main design focus

Emberguard

Legend
Some of the messages I receive it's clear to say some people are definitely into role playing ingame.
Oh definitely. It’s fun to play along with that and muck around with roleplaying. But you can do that with any game you pick up. Doesn’t make Uno or Mario Kart roleplaying games by design if someone decides to start roleplaying in those games for the fun of roleplaying

I've played lots of MMORPGs over the last 10 years. Really, not once did I experience this much favourising of 'high-ballers'

You expect to be a guild leader of a competitive guild in less than six months! :lol:
You are still a newb m8, work on increasing your age, leveling your GB's & building a stronger Army. Don't try to run before you can walk.
FOE is a game that rewards players who stick at it, often many years.
The fact that you have played lots of mmorpg's in the last ten years says it all, either join a good guild to help you along or move to the next MMORPG without creating a fuss.
Rome wasn't built in a day, good luck.

Last edited:

PeePee Pleb

Lieutenant
Ohh? It isn't?
Does that mean, that it's wrong rp'ing as one of the citizens... and that all the other citizens aren't other players?
What a scam!
LOL
I didn't say it's wrong, but this is same as e.g. saying that any of Need for Speed games are RPG because you feel like roleplaying main character.

JustKowhai

Private

It's a hurdle to overcome, I mostly guess the less obvious ones like FP, the abbreviated ages, and GBs. Oh I'm doing it too!