• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

[Feedback] Make PvP Optional

DeletedUser

The description of the Mathematics Tech is, I now find, a little ambiguous.

I was under the impression that by unlocking Mathematics, I would be able to choose whether, or not, to partake in this aspect of the game.

This is not the case.

Not only do I find that I have to allow PvP, but, indeed, I can attack anyone in my neighbourhood, even if they have not unlocked PvP; which seem very unfair.

Indeed PvP is very unfair as I have recently found out; being attacked by a player with 22 million game points and me with only a couple of thousand game points. His troops were boosted to 80 and 90 percent and mine, lead by an inept AI that does not know how to defend had no boosts at all; since I have not acquired any yet. The result was totally devastating and I have not yet recovered from the raid which happened a couple of days ago. Yes, I do collect my production on a timely basis, but I still lost quite a lot of stuff.

Since not unlocking Mathematics is not an option; it prevents progress into the EMA, I have thought about this and I have the following suggestion that allows players to choose to get involved with PvP or not and is not, in any way, detrimental to those who enjoy this activity.

When Mathematics is player is allowed to choose to activate PvP or not. Which ever choice is made, the next time the neighbourhoods are rearranged, the player will be included in a neighbourhood that contains only players who have made the same choice. In this way, players who choose to do PvP are together and can fight it out and players who choose not to PvP are together and can live a peaceful life. Everybody gets what they want.

The changes to the game should be relatively simple because most of the coding should already exist. Tests for active PvP and the arranging of neighbourhoods will already be there. Sorting out the neighbourhoods should be a simple addition.

Implementing this change will make the non-PvPers happy and not disturb the PvPers. So, everybody wins.

GvG is an optional activity so why should PvP me compulsory?

Agent327

Overlord
You can not attack someone that does not have Mathematics unlocked and points mean nothing.

Besides that, nothing new here. Same old same old.

DeletedUser111359

The result was totally devastating and I have not yet recovered from the raid which happened a couple of days ago. Yes, I do collect my production on a timely basis, but I still lost quite a lot of stuff.

That's utterly ridiculous. The most you can lose in a single raid, is the production of 1 building.

Battle losses are minor, they happen. They're just no big deal. This is a completely unnecessary change to the game.

DeletedUser

Preferable, odd as this may sound, accept that some people take a very long vacation in the lower eras and advance their GB’s there highly before they go on.
This concerns the minority though.
Some stay longer but most not that long.
Each neighborhood has some of those and you can’t win that...
Unless their defense buildings for their own city are weak and then it is ...

Party Time

That is pretty neat and cool because you’ll show them!
Make sure to have a Zeus, Aachen and CdM asap and level them as far as you can and you will laugh again!
Oh and Alca :)

DeletedUser97166

This sounds to me like a bit of an unbalanced hood. Can I ask what age this person was and what age you currently are?

DeletedUser112892

Preferable, odd as this may sound, accept that some people take a very long vacation in the lower eras and advance their GB’s there highly before they go on.
Some players like me don't even plan to move to higher era at all ;)

Emberguard

Legend
Not only do I find that I have to allow PvP, but, indeed, I can attack anyone in my neighbourhood, even if they have not unlocked PvP; which seem very unfair.
(1) upload_2018-9-17_22-11-57.png

(2) If having activated it you can't recover from the effects of plundering, pretty good bet you'd have noticed the effects if you were able to be plundered prior to PvP

(3) what makes you think you are able to plunder those without it unlocked? If you're right about it then it's a bug

DeletedUser

You can not attack someone that does not have Mathematics unlocked ...
Emberguard said:
(3) what makes you think you are able to plunder those without it unlocked? If you're right about it then it's a bug
I assumed that because the crossed swords icon appeared against the player, combat was allowed. As I have implied I am not engaging in PvP, so, I have not clicked the crossed swords icon at all. As it has been demonstrated, that further action is prevented, I have not found a bug.

... and points mean nothing.
Actually points mean quite a lot. For one thing they indicate how how big your city is, how many battles you have won and the level of the buildings you have in your city. A player with millions of points is so much further advanced in the game than a player with a few thousand.

Besides that, nothing new here. Same old same old.
I'm glad that I am not the only player that has a dislike of PvP. Perhaps, if the others joined me in "moaning on the internet" (quoting Richard of shaw) about it, the developers would take notice and do something to make our lives a bit more pleasant. I am not asking for PvP to be removed, but simply asking for a relatively simple change to allow players to make the choice.

This sounds to me like a bit of an unbalanced hood. Can I ask what age this person was and what age you currently are?
The player had a Town Hall in the Iron Age and used Iron Age troops, but his city was very large and s/he had a large number of buildigs that were from Ages far in advance of the Iron Age. This obviously created a huge imbalance between what s/he was capable of utilising and what I could manage to put into the field.

DeletedUser97166

The player had a Town Hall in the Iron Age and used Iron Age troops, but his city was very large and s/he had a large number of buildigs that were from Ages far in advance of the Iron Age. This obviously created a huge imbalance between what s/he was capable of utilising and what I could manage to put into the field.
That is unlucky, unfortunately there are players that want to sit in IA until they have reached certain levels on all their GBs, I know a couple that are trying to get a certain amount of points before moving on.

The hood changes next Monday, hopefully you will have better luck then.

DeletedUser

I'm glad that I am not the only player that has a dislike of PvP. Perhaps, if the others joined me in "moaning on the internet" (quoting Richard of shaw) about it, the developers would take notice and do something to make our lives a bit more pleasant. I am not asking for PvP to be removed, but simply asking for a relatively simple change to allow players to make the choice.

Sorry you’ve entered the wrong city building game.
You just don’t want to know how many new people have proposed similar things.
I sympathize with the shock factor, I really do.
In fact I was a little surprised as well when I just started this game but joined the fun quite fast.
I am positive if you loosen up a little this game wil give you so many pleassant moments of joy and laughter with your hoodies!
Just engage it you might like it after all.

The option you request for wil likely never happen as it just isn’t how this game works.

Praeceptor

Lieutenant Colonel
PvP is optional - you have 2 options...

1. play a game that has a PvP element.
2. play a game that does not - there are lots of them.

FoE has the lowest impact PvP of any game I have ever played - you lose a few coins/supplies/goods for each attack that succeeds. In many other games you can lose your entire city.

All strong players were weak players once, but we didn't whinge - we just got on with it.

DeletedUser112892

What I would like to add, if player would be able to choose whether to be able to do PvP (attack and be attacked), then fighters would not be able to plunder, as they cannot attack that player. So, that is abuse.
You have City Shield tavern boost, that is the best option if you are attacked and plundered often.

DeletedUser112745

The result was totally devastating and I have not yet recovered from the raid which happened a couple of days ago.
There are other games out there where when the player is raided, their city is also partially destroyed. For example, defensive walls are knocked down a few levels (or even entirely), goods building levels are razed to lower levels, military production buildings are reduced to rubble and so forth. All of which has to be rebuilt.

We are lucky that we only lose 1 uncollected production in Forge of Empires. Having one building plundered is nothing in comparison to, for example, that other game where your city is realistically reduced to rubble.

When you take the name of this game into account - Forge of Empires - that is what you are doing, forging an online empire. You have two options really:
  • Be a fighter. Fight others for points, both for yourself and your guild.
  • Be a producer/farmer/trader. Come up with the goods to donate to the guild treasury for fighters to use.
Either way, you will also need to have a good defensive army for your city to put off plunderers. You don't actually have to win the defence battle - only make it too expensive for the attacker to bother to try a second time. There are plenty of guides here on the forum and on YouTube regarding city defences. :)

DeletedUser99588

You don't actually have to win the defence battle - only make it too expensive for the attacker to bother to try a second time.

I don't care how many troops I lose attacking as long as I win that is :). If they have plunderable buildings I'm interested in I will just suck it up and put up with any losses. You can always make more troops. If your city is new don't waste space with defence toot just collect on time most of the time and you'll progress just fine. There are numerous other threads with further advice so won't repeat here but just don't take it to hart when plundered. It will have happened to most other players at some point in the game.

Agent327

Overlord
Actually points mean quite a lot. For one thing they indicate how how big your city is, how many battles you have won and the level of the buildings you have in your city. A player with millions of points is so much further advanced in the game than a player with a few thousand.

If a player has 5.000.000 points, how big is his city? How many battles has he won? What is the level of his buildings? A player with 4.000.000 points can be much stronger than a player with 5.000.000 points

You can moan all you want. It is part of the game. If you do not like it don't play the game.

Emberguard

Legend
There are other games out there where when the player is raided, their city is also partially destroyed. For example, defensive walls are knocked down a few levels (or even entirely), goods building levels are razed to lower levels, military production buildings are reduced to rubble and so forth. All of which has to be rebuilt.
I know of one game where early on all your resources have to go straight into defence because otherwise there'd be nothing left in your city resources from plundering. After that you still have to keep putting resources into defence because anything put there can be destroyed by attackers.

DeletedUser99588

I know of one game where early on all your resources have to go straight into defence because otherwise there'd be nothing left in your city resources from plundering. After that you still have to keep putting resources into defence because anything put there can be destroyed by attackers.

All this talking about other games almost feels 'off topic'. Just messing, talk about what you want freedom of speech all the way.