• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Expansions on moving ages

21Sam

Corporal
Hi i think i read somewhere that when you move up an age you automatically get a expansion is that correct please

DeletedUser96901

Hi i think i read somewhere that when you move up an age you automatically get a expansion is that correct please
diamond ones are automatically unlocked when moving up an age

the medal ones don't depend on age

and the ones for coins are from the map or technologies
(the first tech can be an expansion. but only in a few ages)

Galladhorn

Monarch
Also not all Ages provide the same amount of expansions in the Tech Tree – So do check the Tech Tree before advancing into the next Era.
Not exactly, but as a guide the lower ages have more numerous TT expansions than several higher Eras.

To some extend it is safe to say the a huge intent for using diamond expansions comes from not having enough Non Diamond expansions.
A whole lot of players place their expansions in a very optimistic way early on, in the expecation that expansions will remain as numerous as in the begining.

This often results in having a city that is far from optimal for placing as many buildings in it as it could have. Many players lay out their plan way to large and when they reach middle Eras they are often approx. 14–20 expansions away from actualy connecting the corners – resulting in a city layout that is highly Taggy and uneven – thus not to mention the time it will take to unlock +14 expansions.

Essentially the city expansion plan should always try to be a Square,
secondary a Rectangle, till either is no longer possible.

Below is what I refer to as the "Golden Square" of the FoE Expansion plan (Orange Border).
Nearly every new player I see starts by expanding at the top right corner (little red cross) which in regard to this issue is in fact a mistake.

System is to keep expanding one side of the Square till it is full, then continue with the other side of the square and so on.

Even that it may sometimes be tempting to expand unevenly to just fit in that particular building it should be avoided.

FoE_Cityexpansion_1st_goal.jpg

Last edited: