• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

[Event Building] Hacker's Hangout

DeletedUser16112

Proposal:
An event building that represents a hangout for hackers, preferably Neuromancer-inspired deckers (lots of neon and crumbling concrete). Hackers steal your money but might steal other empire's data!

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
Yep, could not find anything at all searching for "hack" and "hacker".

Reason:
I think hacking is cool, I think hackers are cool (especially in the futuristic/cyberpunk genre) and FoE goes all the way into the Future age, so of course there needs to be hackers! A cool looking building with a thematically fitting and/or humorous effect.

Details:
Collect every 24 hours.
Size: small (2x2?)
Has a negative income, representing hackers hacking your banks and/or making you pay for valuable data exfiltrated from enemy empires' networks.

Randomly generates one of the following (in no particular order):
  • One Forge Point (stealing enemy trade data)
  • Medals (hacking enemy military networks)
  • Two Forge Points
  • A Random Blueprint (stealing enemy corporate or science data)
  • Small mix of Semiconductors, Convenience Food and Packaging (hackers got busted by the cops)

Visual Aids:
Imagine a small worn concrete building in the urban sprawl, maybe an arcade as in the TV Series Mr.Robot, maybe an apartment above a bar. Neon signs glare from the sides of the dirty building. Empty cans of high-octane energy drinks are scattered in the street together with fast food wrappers. Inside a small gang of hackers prowl the cyberspace for paydata.

Do a google image search for "cyberpunk street" for lots of visual inspiration.

Balance:
Make the blueprint and 2FP reward more rare than the others, it should on average be a little better than Shrine of Knowledge (negative money) and in line with Wishing Well in power (does not give diamonds, justifying the chance for a blueprint).

Abuse Prevention:
Player has no control over the output, and the chances and sizes for the different rewards can be tweaked for the desired balance. The rewards in themselves are already existing things, and should not be game-breaking.

Summary:
Fun building that hopefully looks really cool (neon!) and provides some thematically fitting rewards.

DeletedUser96901

buildings giving FP: already exists and have positive income
medals: already too much in the game. if you need some help to level an Arc
goods: already non-goods buildings that produce small amount of goods (Oasis, ....)
BP: ok that is new. but only until the next Easter Event. that brings a BP producing building

DeletedUser15432

a score of -1 for this idea, as Test Ament has stated most of the features you have suggested are already covered by existing buildings and the blue print option will be available in the Easter Event
Furthermore, who would want to build this building given the fact that it only gives random goods from Modern Era

DeletedUser914

Not so quick in your judgement guys, what is wrong with a building that gives high rewards only when it is plundered? Sounds pretty cool.

+1 from me.

DeletedUser108379

Not so quick in your judgement guys, what is wrong with a building that gives high rewards only when it is plundered? Sounds pretty cool. ...

I do not think that was the idea.
But who would build a building one does not profit from? Sounds very silly to me.

DeletedUser914

I do not think that was the idea.
But who would build a building one does not profit from? Sounds very silly to me.

Your neighbours, and in return you can deal with your neighbours too. But watch out, more neighbours around. Oh hm,, thinking about this, no way...

Sorry this was not my best idea. lol.

DeletedUser16112

buildings giving FP: already exists and have positive income
medals: already too much in the game. if you need some help to level an Arc
goods: already non-goods buildings that produce small amount of goods (Oasis, ....)
BP: ok that is new. but only until the next Easter Event. that brings a BP producing building

How are FoE supposed to make novelty buildings for events (this is an event building) like the confectionary or reindeer paddock if they can never reuse features?

The important thing about this building is that it's a hacker's hangout, a cyberpunkish neon building, with some random rewards that are fitting for the theme. I'ts not intended to be kickass, just good enough to be worth the space in the same way as many other event buildings.

[...] Furthermore, who would want to build this building given the fact that it only gives random goods from Modern Era

The modern era goods is basically a more fun version of "bad luck, you get nothing" result - the hackers did not produce anything useful, because the local cops raided them, and you only get their computers, junk food and lots of discarded pizza boxes. It should be rare enough to happen maybe two three times per month, if I could decide.

DeletedUser16112

Not so quick in your judgement guys, what is wrong with a building that gives high rewards only when it is plundered? Sounds pretty cool.

+1 from me.

Thanks for the +1, but I actually did not intend for it to give extra rewards when plundered. It's an interesting idea for sure, but not in scope for this idea.

DeletedUser96901

The important thing about this building is that it's a hacker's hangout, a cyberpunkish neon building
and which hacker would be in such a building ?
real hackers are where nobody can find them :lol:

so such building is 0% realistic

with some random rewards
to be honest: random sucks
the only thing good it produces would be FP
and there are buildings that produce daily not randomly

and BP? really? that sucks most
26 GB. so if you get a BP that is more than 80% from the wrong GB
so how often will this building that randomly gives a random BP give you the BP of the GB you want ?
(and the most funny thing about the BP producing building of the easter event: the first in the beta forum already sold his because it is too bad)

I'ts not intended to be kickass, just good enough
yes and I only give a +1 to kickass ideas
not to "just good enough"

like the confectionary or reindeer paddock
from me those buildings had also become a -1
they are only wasting space in my inventory

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser16112

yes and I only give a +1 to kickass ideas

If every building has to be kickass (i.e. better than average) will every building have to be better than all those that came before? That can spiral out of control pretty fast.

DeletedUser5180

If every building has to be kickass (i.e. better than average) will every building have to be better than all those that came before? That can spiral out of control pretty fast.

event buildings should be better or there will be no point trying to win it

DeletedUser16112

event buildings should be better or there will be no point trying to win it

Better than what?

If it is better than non-event buildings, then I agree with you.

But if every new event building has to be better than all the existing event buildings, then you will get power inflation as every new building must be more and more powerful.

Even if you insist that every new event building "just" has to be better than the average event building, the net result is that the average will rise, leading to power inflation.

Event buildings should be better than regular buildings, either in raw stats or by offering something regular buildings can't offer, but the average power of event buildings needs to be about the same over time. And that means releasing buildings that are below the average sometimes.

DeletedUser96901

and we suggest (or support with +1) the over average buildings ;)
the developers have enough bad ideas for below average buildings :o

because if we suggest below average buildings and developers implement their below average buildings anyway the average will drop :mad:

DeletedUser16112

because if we suggest below average buildings and developers implement their below average buildings anyway the average will drop

Well, there's always the chance that they replace a "bad" building with one of the suggested "average" buildings.

How would you change the hacker's hangout to be worth +1 ?

DeletedUser109385

I don't know about this I give a score of 0 so basically I am neutral

DeletedUser12400

NEUTRAL
RQiE2ke.png
The important thing about this building is that it's a hacker's hangout, a cyberpunkish neon building
and which hacker would be in such a building ?
real hackers are where nobody can find them :lol:

so such building is 0% realistic
If you want my honest opinion, I say that there already are hackers and they are sitting in this building:
Computer_Games_Company.png

It's called Computer Games Company. Premium production building of the contemporary era.​