• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Era-Trolls . . . do you hate such play?

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Inno does offer military starter packs (if I remember correctly... correct me if I'm wrong), so anyone who cares enough can either buy those packs (good for Inno) or just look at what's in the pack, and finally have some defense other than the two spearmen, which—let's face it—is not a very good defense for an HMA or LMA city... :D

(Yes, I do have such cities in my hood right now. And yes, I do plunder them every day. Call me an era-troll, but I think it's ridiculous to have two spearmen as your sole defense in HMA, and it just means that the person simply does not care.)
The only time it's "good" or even "highly amusing" to run a 2x Spearchumpies or better yet, 1x Horseman defense, is if you've gone and designed yourself a 'plunder-proof' city.
(ie: ALL your fps/goods/etc... come only from polivated buildings and/or GB's)

With the right set-up, the PvP mechanic can be rendered 100% pointless as the only thing anyone can ever plunder are a few stupid coins from the odd residential you might have.
On the other hand, with keeping the Noob defense, you deny PvP tower pts to your 'hoodies who like to attack, meaning only the other handful of GvG (and soon) GbG's players will rack up their tower pts.

I like the idea of grouping players by time played not by era. Be interesting to see how someone who rushes eras and has underpowered GBs compares to a camper or 'era-troll' with strong GBs. Obviously the game isn't necessarily 'fair', being attacked is a reality of game and there's nothing can be done about diamond players' advantage (cos Inno love those players), but definitely a lot of young players quit because of this.
I also liked how OP phrased this as a revenue problem for Inno :)), one way to encourage a positive response from them.

on rugnir(which is faily new world) earlier in the year,the top hood you could have players from OF down to FE in it,an FE player with a decent att bonus could do in a OF player deff,1 hover+7 rog gives a very good advantage over any def being worked by the IA lol

Ati2

Legend
On the other hand, with keeping the Noob defense, you deny PvP tower pts to your 'hoodies who like to attack, meaning only the other handful of GvG (and soon) GbG's players will rack up their tower pts.
I don't play GvG, only attack the hood to get the HC bonus, yet I'm usually first on the tower.

I don't see what the point of my post is, probably just wanted to brag about it. :D

DeletedUser110131

on rugnir(which is faily new world) earlier in the year,the top hood you could have players from OF down to FE in it,an FE player with a decent att bonus could do in a OF player deff,1 hover+7 rog gives a very good advantage over any def being worked by the IA lol
Mixed neighborhoods used to be standard on all servers, even old ones. An EMA player really couldn't expect to successfully attack an AF player on an old server. Even so, believe it or not, most new players managed to survive in these neighborhoods, and complaining was at about the same level it is today. Astonishing, right? We've gone from that, and the whining hasn't declined at all.

It seems Einstein was wrong. There's one more absolute in the Universe: Whining! It's the same, regardless of circumstances. I'm willing to bet that, if you move at near light speed, time will slow, but whining will not.

I wonder if there's a Nobel Prize in that?

Mixed neighborhoods used to be standard on all servers, even old ones. An EMA player really couldn't expect to successfully attack an AF player on an old server. Even so, believe it or not, most new players managed to survive in these neighborhoods, and complaining was at about the same level it is today. Astonishing, right? We've gone from that, and the whining hasn't declined at all.

It seems Einstein was wrong. There's one more absolute in the Universe: Whining! It's the same, regardless of circumstances. I'm willing to bet that, if you move at near light speed, time will slow, but whining will not.

I wonder if there's a Nobel Prize in that?

yeah when i first started it was the old system if i remember correct the top players in hood could be on average 2 eras ahead of the rest,peeps used to say if any were 4 eras ahead you could complain,one hood i was in at least 70 were FE i was ind or prog era,i only got done 10/15 times a day so not to bad lol,,it taught me how to do my collections properly
this week first day on my project town east nagach got attacked 8 times(1 win 7 losses) it makes no difference if your a fast mover up tech tree as who puts in a deal castle(poop) to build up deff,best thing to do is just ignore them,havent got plundered yet

DeletedUser117706

Now that everyone has agreed in the previous Era Trolls thread that bullying and Era Trolls are bad and Era Trolls are not campers, and with InnoGames implementing Guild Battlegrounds, should InnoGames eliminate plundering/sabotage from neighborhood battles and just leave the "wins"?

Do you think InnoGames will lose far less players if Era Trolls (players who hang around pre-Modern Age eras just to bully others) be allowed the "wins" but not the stealing in neighborhood battles?

It was really great to see everyone saying bullies are bad and should be removed by InnoGames from Forge of Empires so for those bullies who want to comment here, stay on topic and control your argumentative spirit/desire to bully posters here and just answer the question of: Do you think InnoGames will lose less players if plundering/sabo is removed from neighborhood battles now that Guild Battlegrounds is coming November 14, 2019?

Goremise

Lieutenant-General
I like how most people in the thread were like "Era trolls? What" And then went onto agree that Plundering is a fine mechanic that is easily avoided if you play well with simple mechanics, use no defence? You asking to be plundered, put up Mounted Archers in EMA? You will never be plundered. Or the novel idea: Collecting on time.

Let people play how they want to play, if they don't want to be aided by their neighbours and plunder everything around them, let them, if they want to play passive, let them.

Edit: lol I see the thread was merged, I honestly should have expected that xD

Last edited:

Emberguard

Legend
Do you think InnoGames will lose far less players if Era Trolls (players who hang around pre-Modern Age eras just to bully others) be allowed the "wins" but not the stealing in neighborhood battles?
Who's going to reimburse players who would lose entire cities if plundering were removed either completely or until Modern Era?

If losing a single produce per 24hrs is your definition of bullying then what's removing 5+ years of work? If players can't cope with being plundered when they're in the largest possible pool of players then there's no way they'd cope better if it's introduced later in the game. For one thing they'd have no way to build up their city for that if you're delaying it until then because they wouldn't know it exists

Do you think InnoGames will lose less players if plundering/sabo is removed from neighborhood battles now that Guild Battlegrounds is coming November 14, 2019?
What does GBG have to do with neighbourhood battles?

no and INNO games have 2 great reasons not to remove it called voyager and Atlantis museum
and St. Basil Cathedral, Deal Castle and every event building that has a defence bonus. Plus City Shield in the tavern

Ati2

Legend
Now that everyone has agreed in the previous Era Trolls thread that bullying and Era Trolls are bad and Era Trolls are not campers

Maybe it's the new look of the forum, but... have we been reading different forums?

Seriously, though... why don't you simply build a city that cannot be plundered instead of trying to shut down a part of the game? A part, that you can already shut down yourself. You just don't want to, for some strange reason.

Ati2

Legend
and St. Basil Cathedral, Deal Castle and every event building that has a defence bonus. Plus City Shield in the tavern

Plus every supply producing GB and every goods producing GB and every coin producing GB, none of which can be plundered, and produce way more than their plunderable twins, anyway.

Why would anyone even have plunderable buildings? That's just beyond me. Sure, you need them to get your city started, but that's before you allow others to plunder you. By the time you click "allow people to plunder me," your city should have nothing left to plunder.

If for some reason you don't want to go that way (why?!), then you can still just collect on time.

As said numerous times before.

interesting,as a fast mover up tech tree i dont think it should be done away with as some peeps get enjoyment from it and it is part of game from year dot,whole thing needs improvement though somehow

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Plus every supply producing GB and every goods producing GB and every coin producing GB, none of which can be plundered, and produce way more than their plunderable twins, anyway.

Why would anyone even have plunderable buildings? That's just beyond me. Sure, you need them to get your city started, but that's before you allow others to plunder you. By the time you click "allow people to plunder me," your city should have nothing left to plunder.

If for some reason you don't want to go that way (why?!), then you can still just collect on time.

As said numerous times before.
"Cheese/over-powered/unfair/bullying" is the battle cry of the ignorant and the unprepared.

'Survival of the fittest' isn't about being the strongest or the fastest - it's simply about being the most adaptable to change.
...building a plunder-proof city/collecting on time are the main ways to adapt to the plundering mechanic. There's other ways too, but the lazy and the ignorant just ignore them, hence why they're always doomed to populate the bottom rungs of every nieghbourhood they'll ever be sorted into. :P

Sure, when I first began playing this game, my BA/early Iron age city was a bottom feeder - while being eaten alive by players from LMA/Colonial all the way to sometimes Future era 'hoodies no less!
But now, because I worked at adapting my city to the changing game, I am safely always at worst Top 6 in my 'hoods. Oh, and the only thing to plunder is a CG set who's production I don't need anyways, but keep it around 'cause it super pretty and I'm a chick. (and because 'Hollywood says its so', we all know what vain & cruel creatures we women truly are!lol;))

@Emberguard: ...and let's not also forget about the upcoming
Tactician's Tower + TT upgrade that gives IIRC, atk% boost to defending armies in this year's Winter event. ;)

DeletedUser110131

It was really great to see everyone saying bullies are bad and should be removed by InnoGames from Forge of Empires
Everyone saying whatnow? I've certainly said no such thing! As I realize that I've been unclear, allow me to set things straight.

Defensive play is an important aspect of the game. The main point of the whiners is that they don't want to play FoE, but rather some other "game" that doesn't present them with any challenges. They want to be able to play whichever way the want, with no consequences for good or bad decisions. They find the concept of having to adapt their play to deal with challenges to be an intolerable imposition. I have zero sympathy for that attitude; the farthest I'll go towards compassion is to offer some advice. Here's the final advice, for those who simply can't be helped: buy a deck of cards, and start cheating at solitaire.

Currently, on my main server, I have a defending army with troops 3 ages ahead of me, as a result of planning and diligent play, and I'm always working improve on that. I also have defensive GBs at a decent level, and a fair number of watch towers. I collect on time, and always take revenge for attacks. No one has ever plundered me for more than I've plundered them back. I'm active in good guilds, have well trimmed Friends Lists, and can afford whichever Tavern Boosts I need, whenever I need them. This is just the start of a long list of deliberate steps taken in order to enjoy, explore, adapt and do well in the game. Why would I have sympathy for someone who can't muster anything better than two spearfighters? Why would I support altering the game, so that my strategic play doesn't offer me any advantages over their lazy and thoughtless play?

Those are very rhetorical questions; attempts to answer them are very unlikely to change my position, because it's a considered position. I've thought it through. Others who have clarified similar positions will also mostly have them well considered. We are players who have made an effort over some time, and given thought to most aspects of the game. Changing our opinions will take some very solid arguments. Simply complaining certainly won't do it.

All things considered, who do you think is the more valuable player to Inno? Someone who can be bothered neither to build a defensive GB, do the Story Quest, fight back, build a plunder proof city, collect on time, nor operate a sound friends list to afford City Shield, or someone who spends time on the game, has plans and ambitions for his/her city, enjoys the challenges, and uses the opportunities the game offers? Who's more likely to spend some real money, or cause someone else to spend it in order to catch up to them? Who are more active in guilds, offering support for new players, turning those n00bs into long term players?

Loosing a few players who can barely be bothered to put in any effort, or even a lot of such players, is a low price to pay to keep active players happy. I'm afraid Inno's position is also carefully considered, and changing their mind will also take more than simply complaining.

P.S.: I'm more than happy to offer advice and help to anyone who wants to enjoy the game as it is. I have nothing against n00bs. Indeed, rumor has it that I was one, myself. Of course, if true, that was a long time ago, and I can't rightly remember it.
P.P.S.: I have plenty of plunderable buildings. Everyone is free to have a go at them.
P.P.P.S.: There's a substantial risk that I'll be wiping out the lower half of my neighborhood on a regular basis, for the next few weeks. I'm starting to think that the game isn't sufficiently challenging for everyone.
P.P.P.P.S.: I'm going to stop with the post scripts, now. Promise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shad23

Emperor
Defensive play is an important aspect of the game.
All things considered, who do you think is the more valuable player to Inno? Someone who can be bothered neither to build a defensive GB,
defence is useless in this game i have 1 rogue as def i colect on time and almost never get plundered only def GB i have is St-Basil and i won't be working on it i only keep it cause i like it's look i think it looks nice and if i'd have enough store buildings i'd sell all my watchfires and ritual flames to the AD
best def is att
+
with my strategy
attacker gets no ranking pts from hiting on me and can't plunder most of the time i colect on time
so if i get attacked most of the time i just laugh it out

Last edited:

DeletedUser110131

By "defensive play" I mean a lot more than just the defending army. In the short term, collecting on time is the most effective defensive measure. A plunder proof city is an effective long term measure. There are a lot of other measures that can be taken as well. Many of them depend on your playing style and the specifics of your situation. What works for one player in one context can make things worse for another player or in another context. Defensive playing is a complex of strategies, tactics, planning and preparation, and exploring it can be as challenging and exciting as exploring the more offensive aspects of the game.

I disagree that the defending army is useless. It's perfectly possible to set up a very nearly invincible defensive army. I know, because I have an army that makes me wish for attacks, and grin whenever I see that there's been one. On the very few occasions where an attack has been successful, I've been excited to see how they defeated my army, and almost felt bad about collecting on time. Anyone who defeats my guys deserves a reward. It's been half a year or more since the last time, though. Of course, this doesn't stop me from retaliating against all attacks, successful or failed. It's a matter of principle; attack me, and I plunder you.

Ati2

Legend
It's perfectly possible to set up a very nearly invincible defensive army.

Sure, but... why? If you put that time, energy and FPs into building a city that has nothing to plunder (ie: all production by GBs), you're better off in the long run, in my opinion.

DeletedUser110131

efficiency wise? Sure. But I think they love the thrill of battle :D
Absolutely! There's one other reason, as well. With a strong defensive army, you're free to have any building your heart desires. A fabulous event building, but it can't be motivated? No worries! In fact, that's great! There's no concern about getting enough aid, and, who knows, maybe it'll tempt someone to attack?

Also, with the Terracotta Army, investments in defense are also investments in offense. Gotta love that!