• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: Enhance Accessibility for the Visually Impaired

Would you agree that enhancements to improve accessibilty for visyally-impaired and/or dyslexic play

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
[Proposal]: To enhance accessibility for the visually-impaired and/or those with dyslexia

[Have you checked for similar ideas?]: Yes

[Reason]: As far as possible disabled members should not be excluded or disadvantaged

[Details]: Having consulted with visuaaly impaired players it seems that the main area that would benefit from greater consideration by the developers would be global/guild/ neighbourhood chat. The font size is very small and it is impossible for a number of players to follow it, particularly when traffic is heavy. Thus far players have suggested that an option to increase the size of the text and an option to use colour would greatly aid players who are currently disadvantaged. It may well be that other aspects of the game might be similarly enhanced if the developers gave greater consideration to the experience of disabled players.

[Balance]: Not applicable

Last edited by a moderator:

Supermum1

Private
I am sure there is quite a few people who could benefit from a working whisper, and for an option to enlarge the font if needed, another idea would be to actually make it possible to include more than one member/player in a whisper

Emberguard

Legend
And you think we are all visually impaired?
No but it uses the smallest text size in the game. Pretty sure the only areas that use text that small is global chat and the ranking points listed in the social bar. You can look up the points in a larger font via global ranking but you can't enlarge the global chat text.

@pgolds you'll need to put this in proper format and add a poll:
Proposal:

Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea?

Reason:

Details:

Visual Aids:

Balance/Abuse Prevention:

No but it uses the smallest text size in the game. Pretty sure the only areas that use text that small is global chat and the ranking points listed in the social bar. You can look up the points in a larger font via global ranking but you can't enlarge the global chat text.

@pgolds you'll need to put this in proper format and add a poll:
Thankyou emberguard - I will check the instructions on thar x

[Proposal]: To enhance accessibility for the visually-impaired and/or those with dyslexia

[Have you checked for similar ideas?]: Yes

[Reason]: As far as possible disabled members should not be excluded or disadvantaged

[Details]: Having consulted with visuaaly impaired players it seems that the main area that would benefit from greater consideration by the developers would be global/guild/ neighbourhood chat. The font size is very small and it is impossible for a number of players to follow it, particularly when traffic is heavy. Thus far players have suggested that an option to increase the size of the text and an option to use colour would greatly aid players who are currently disadvantaged. It may well be that other aspects of the game might be similarly enhanced if the developers gave greater consideration to the experience of disabled players.

[Balance]: Not applicable

DeletedUser102623

Totally agree pgolds, . . surely FoE have a duty of care to its customers/users to provide accessibility?

KnightOnion

Private
It just makes sense that the font size and colour should be customisable for those who have difficulty reading small text.

DeletedUser114177

As for me, the lowercase letters are ok.
But the fact is, there are many players who are older, and I support that option ..
And inserting Font size / colors would not bother anyone or bring anything wrong ..
It would just make it easier for players with poor eyesight...

DeletedUser112882

such a thoughtful post. I noticed on beta there were color "changes" in regards to the text of attack and/or defending buildings and it's roles, thinking that red for attack and blue for defence would be common choice but didn't stop and think to those that are color-blind.
Are you also positive there is not a compatible tool for current browser versions that can't support this situation? I mean... using Ctrl & mouse wheel to zoom in only solves the text but also over-inflates city pixels. Wonder how they would fix the contrast/aspect ratio. Lot's of things to consider

Emberguard

Legend
I mean... using Ctrl & mouse wheel to zoom in only solves the text but also over-inflates city pixels. Wonder how they would fix the contrast/aspect ratio. Lot's of things to consider
If your screen is a size and resolution that would suit that sure. Otherwise good luck

DeletedUser112017

I'm here fully supporting older friends (and enemies) in-game, so far I'm 20/20, but I'm happy to know internet will be more accessible for me down the road when that won't be the case anymore.

I'm aware some people use browser-enabled text enlargement, but that's not the best solution as it doesn't work well in FoE.

Accessibility should not be a topic of discussion in a game like FoE which is primarily played by adults, it's something that should be "a must".

I'm often working on EU-supported projects and Accessibility is one of the key elements we have to take care of - due to

Online games are not currently directly targeted by laws at the moment (nor EU or USA ones), but they probably will be.

There are other bodies fully supporting it like EU Games Federation

It makes little sense to wait for a law to enforce it, Inno should cater to their customers anyway.

Currently deployed solution in game by visually impaired is to use all-caps in chats, where then all guildmembers are switching to all-caps to make it easier for their friends to read, even if there are some researches claiming otherwise, using sentence case should be faster due to nature of our reading by scanning (not really reading every single letter). Using all caps removes a virtual margin between lines and all you end up is a cluttered all-caps text.

All that said, please think about visually impaired users so they can enjoy this game the same way well-sighted people are.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser116786

There are also the colour blind, who would haves problems reading the red text on green background, like in Feudal Japan embassy

patrick3377

Corporal
Apparently, it's not just about visually impaired but it's also valid for 4k/8k display users. I use 4k monitor, quite big 49'', yet the font in the chat and quest progress are hardly visible. I can live with mini-guild-expedition and mini-gbg, but to read those small letters I have to stick my nose to the display ;) Hopefully Inno will do something with those tiny fonts.

Status
Not open for further replies.