• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Egypt Cultural Settlement

Just finished the Egypt Cultural Settlement with 21 hours left to spare for third prize, kind of disappointed with the time reward though, only 2 fragments of the ancient obelisk selection kit :( Idk if I should do it the second time, or start on another cultural settlement. Any recommendations?

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
The only recommendation I would give you, is do it again. Egypt is considered by many to be the most time considerate settlement, with many people having 10 or more days left when they finish. Whatever the issue was that caused you to complete it with so little time remaining (for the bonus building fragments building ONLY - you get the main building award no matter how long you take to complete) - will most likely be the same issue on any other settlement.
Whatever you think you might have done wrong, or what you think you can do to improve the time you spend doing the settlement is best served by doing it again (and when you complete the 2nd time, you will get an emmissary to use in your Town Hall) and you will hopefully find ways to improve your method.
Myself, personally I am working on my 4th Egypt. Boring as hell, but the final prize at the end of the tunnel is a valuable addition to your city.
People may tell you that Japan or Vikings is quicker to do - and truth is, yes it is - but, you also have much less time available to complete, if you have a goal to obtain the fragments for the secondary building.
If you can figure out what you need to do to hasten your Egypt settlement, that will probably be very much what you will need to do to complete other settlements at a quicker pace.

Do you think it's true that some people say you have to spend diamonds to remove the impediments in order to complete it quickly? Maybe this is where I became too slow, because I have to knock down existing buildings first. Although to be honest, idk about the usefulness of removing some of these impediments.

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
Do you think it's true that some people say you have to spend diamonds to remove the impediments in order to complete it quickly? Maybe this is where I became too slow, because I have to knock down existing buildings first. Although to be honest, idk about the usefulness of removing some of these impediments.
Absolutely not. No need to spend diamonds at all on any of the settlements. Removing impediments quicker (by spending diamonds) will open up your access - but there is plenty of time available to complete without ever using a single diamond.
Remember - this game is about taking your time. There is basically no need to ever do anything quick - and when you do play quick, you end up creating more problems (i.e. aging up too quick leaves you with a lack of goods and resources that are needed in the next level - you have GB's that should receive some attention in every age - like Zeus, add at least 5-10 levels per Age). The game is designed to take time to play. The settlements are designed to take a certain amount of time. You definitely do not need to be online 24/7 to achieve anything in this game - as long as you are online once or twice a day, you can take it leisurely and move forward. Spend a little more time and find what you like to do.
Probably one of the biggest headaches for the players that want to race through this game - they sit around for hours and hours with nothing to do - because the game is not designed to be completed quickly.
In regards to impediments, myself, I have one tool sitting in my inventory, because I do not really need it yet. Waiting until I can get some more expansions (naturally, via game play, not by buying them with diamonds) and then with my new expansion(s) I will decide the best use of my current tool and maybe I will have a 2nd one as well.

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
Another thought perhaps, in regards to impedents - think of it like a jigsaw puzzle. Try to figure out how the pieces you have will best fit in the space you have available. Players who feel that they need to spend diamonds to remove the impediments most likely do not have the patience or understanding how to solve a jigsaw puzzle. 60 pieces of all sky - might be nice to have a clue and figure out where a couple pieces could go - but in the end, you know that you will be able to figure out the sky pieces - just takes a little bit of time.

Very nicely put, i do actually find satisfaction in being able to fit buildings around impediments, playing games is about satisfaction right? Sometimes I feel like spending diamonds is the easy way that reduced the satisfaction a little.