• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Ecclesiastical Warriors

Romalo5

Corporal
I am an Ecclesiastical (Church) Historian and I think that FoE is missing a trick. There are numerous occasions when Bishops led troops into battle, or were simply present to encourage the fighters. What about having a Priest/Bishop/Muezin/Fakir/Monk as well as the 'Champions"? They could add Happiness, Fighting Bonuses, Special Powers, ....
This is without even going near the possibilities offered by the Military Orders (Templars, Hospitallers, Teutonic Knights, Knights of the Sword), the Varangian Guard of the Vikings, The Sufi Brotherhoods of Islam, the Fighting Monks of the Far East, ......
We already have temples, cathedrals, etc. Why could they not produce a "holy warrior' - say one per week/day?

After all is it not true that most (if not all) wars have been caused by Religion in one form or another? But then, perhaps the liberal lovey-dovies might object. Just let them have a read about Anthony Bek, Prince Bishop of Durham (and a monk), who commanded the forces of King Edward I of England on so many occasions! No 'shrinking violet' he!

Agent327

Overlord
How are they supposed to implement this into the game?

You are talking about way back, but the game has reached Virtual Future. At that time they have found out that religion is all make believe.

DeletedUser99588

How are they supposed to implement this into the game?

You are talking about way back, but the game has reached Virtual Future. At that time they have found out that religion is all make believe.

Not saying the OP idea is good but if virtual future can have samurai, ninja etc. then it doesn't really rule out some historical religious based warriors. Virtual Future kind of allows the developers to do whatever they like really.

Emberguard

Legend
Yeah and has there been any in game evidence that religion ceased to exist in virtual future? Science advancing doesn't mean religion gets negated. If it did you wouldn't have any faith today in first world countries. Fact is faith provides something science alone can't: hope, forgiveness and purpose

Most modern science was founded on an assumption by Christians that if the universe had a creator then there'd be order and rules that can be understood.

As far as monks go it's most common in fighting game for them to be medics for your team. We could have them heal every 1-2 turns, or just give a bonus amount of health represented by blue over the top of the green. As the blue depletes it'd turn back to green (that way health bars can stay the same size)

Alternatively, make it a GB. Perhaps the monks could help towards research.

For the passive produce FPs that automatically go towards a research (whichever you last put a FP on / the earliest research in the tech tree skipping the diamond one). Of course you'd still have to unlock the research once it's full of FPs.

For the active produce the all ages monk that does.... Something

DeletedUser113901

+1 on a new special unit.
Monks already help you fight in the monastery defense special. But please not trough a GB.

DeletedUser96901

the church is the biggest criminal of the history

they killed more than everybody else
even worse than ******

I don't want them leading my army

What about having a Priest/Bishop/Muezin/Fakir/Monk as well as the 'Champions"? They could add Happiness, Fighting Bonuses, Special Powers, ....
they could use their ability: abuse children

Agent327

Overlord
Not saying the OP idea is good but if virtual future can have samurai, ninja etc. then it doesn't really rule out some historical religious based warriors. Virtual Future kind of allows the developers to do whatever they like really.

They are augmented samurai.

OP suggests a unit like the champions, which means every age. It's something as useless as a colorguard or a drummer.

DeletedUser99588

They are augmented samurai.

OP suggests a unit like the champions, which means every age. It's something as useless as a colorguard or a drummer.

The OP was a little vague with what he wanted from the religious warriors so I guess it would be left to the imagination of the developers. So I concur we would probably end up with more dross like a drummer. Not keen on the OP term special powers, makes it all seem a little less historical and more super hero. I wouldn't be against some historical figures whether religious or not being introduced if they actually had equal merit applicable to all ages of the game and were actually useful without causing an imbalance to the game.

the church is the biggest criminal of the history

they killed more than everybody else
even worse than ******

I don't want them leading my army

they could use their ability: abuse children

I agree many if not the majority of wars have been in the name of some religion (God(s) worshiping) or other but that doesn't mean the teachings of all religions are wrong just that some people twist them to fuel their own desires. By raising this point you kind of highlight that they probably should be included in a historical based war-game. When you look at the death toll of the likes of Stalin and Mao Zedong who were Atheists you can see it isn't necessarily religion that is the cause of such atrocities but that some people capable of committing such atrocities are drawn to positions of power and religions have historically held great power and some still do.

Shad23

Emperor
special powers
well i think he was thinking of somthing like healing the rest or some of your troops after some time in batle like doctors but as he said we have temple cathedral , doctor but no actual troop that could heal like doctors or give a moral boost during fight
but like Agent said we'll probobly get somthing like a drummer

DeletedUser99588

well i think he was thinking of somthing like healing the rest or some of your troops after some time in batle like doctors but as he said we have temple cathedral , doctor but no actual troop that could heal like doctors or give a moral boost during fight

Maybe. The fact we we are hypothesizing suggests the idea needs a bit more work. I'm sure the Op has lots of ideas in their head of what they want but needs to find a way of defining them absolutely for the developers.

DeletedUser115821

A healer would be great even if it choose randomly one of your troop to heal it and then disappear like the CE missile launcher unit.

As for drummer, against the computer on auto battle I like drummer, I use them as decoy, the computer always go for your special units. Drummers, Flag and Champions are crowding my cemetery.

Agent327

Overlord
As for drummer, against the computer on auto battle I like drummer, I use them as decoy, the computer always go for your special units. Drummers, Flag and Champions are crowding my cemetery.

How does your Kraken do against drummers?

Galladhorn

Monarch
It would be nice if the Idea could be more specific – what are the special bonuses etc, abuse issues etc,

As such dissucssing religion in regard to the game makes little sense imo. It really does not matter – it is just a game. Perhaps in VT they are just called Oracles or something else...same same.

Last edited:

Emberguard

Legend
A healer would be great even if it choose randomly one of your troop to heal it and then disappear like the CE missile launcher unit.

Maybe the healing could revive the first 2(?) units that fall during battle and then the healer dies. If it's simply healing a single unit and then disappearing I'm not sure that's any better then if you just had a different unit in the battle instead of your healer. Especially without knowing unit stats for the healer. Are they completely defenceless unable to inflict damage? Or do they have a set unit strength like the drummer? Or like the champ does their strength depend on age? What's the trigger for healing if it's completely random?

Alternatively once per battle if the total combined unit health dropped below a third the monk could fully heal everyone that's still alive. Then the healer can either remain around as a weak unit or disappear depending on balance.

DeletedUser113901

Once a turn everybody gets 1 HP refilled if there's at least 1 monk alife.