• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: easy communication

Do you support this Idea

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Proposal: i have noticed in my short time in the game that the guild forums are rarely used and mail is rarely replied to

Reason:
1-i believe people don't notice when they have mail because people rarely reply
2-i believe people find it difficult to find guild forums

Details:
1-make the mail button flash a different color when you have mail rather than gold flashing a slightly darker gold
2-use the spare button in the UI for a direct link to the guild forum which also flashes a different color...

Visual Aids:
none

Balance:
1- will make it easier to notice you have mail
2- will make it easier to find guild forum

Abuse Prevention:
i don't believe this opens any abusive situations

DeletedUser2029

+1 on more visible contrast for mail

as for "guild button", since you can access global ranking through the link in the top of the screen, why not change the "global" button into "guild" exclusively?
+1 on this also

DeletedUser

+1 on more visible contrast for mail

as for "guild button", since you can access global ranking through the link in the top of the screen, why not change the "global" button into "guild" exclusively?
+1 on this also

great point! i did not think of the top screen ranking link, thanks

DeletedUser1094

+1 to the 2nd proposal.
I believe it (or some of it) has been proposed before. I can't recall just how far up (or down) the system it went...
I like the idea, not just because of the insane amount of times I have had to explain to other players, just how to access the Guild-Forum, but most definitely also because it's a pain in the...., Click Global, Click Your Guild, Click Guild Forum... "Oh, no new posts."
I would like it to be implemented...

And also +1 to the third proposal. Just a renaming of the Global button to Guild would be sufficient.

Edit : Forgot the 1. proposal : I have no problem seeing the bright-yellow, but other players might have. Maybe a darker colour for flashing could help some, but that I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Short answer; If players are not using the forum or message center, making it easier to see is not going to change anything.

Long answer;
There are tons of threads that explain how to find the guild forum, even though it only takes 3 clicks.
King Dael's illustrated guide is as simple as it gets: How to get to the Guild Forum

If you use the Search Function of the forum you'll find countless replies on how to get there, too.

For easy Guild Forum access, open the Guild Forum in a seperate tab and Bookmark it.

As for the Message Center not being clear, I suggest you try a different contrast on your screen.
Because this seems pretty clear to me, especially with it flashing:
nmz56p.png

So if people are not using these 2 simple features, making them easier to spot is not going to change anything.

- L

DeletedUser

@ Lodroth

I know how to get the forum, i found it by chance when i was messing around so does that mean others would do the same?

if others don't stumble across it to them it wouldn't exist especially if it is hidden away there is a button for the prop forum if that wasn't there how many people would visit the prop forum?
especially if there's no reason to ie: wars etc

and seeing as it's hidden away from the speculated user and to them doesn't exist why would they come on the prop forum to search for it?

so basically it doesn't matter if i book mark the forum or not it won't help other guild members find there forum...

DeletedUser

Guild Forums are only available to guild members. So you'd have to be in a guild.
Because of this, I think it's the guildleader's responsibility to mention the forum to players joining. Either through a guild message now and then for updates, or in your guild profile.

That leaves unaware guild leaders.
While editing the guild profile you inadversely come across the giant GUILD FORUM button.

Also, anyone who is already on the open forum, might want to request a guild forum (as has been done countless times). If they'd take a look at the FAQ or guides section, they'd find that it's already available and how to get to it.

- L

DeletedUser

i agree with unaware guild leaders the first guild i joined i had to make the forum then send messages to all guild members 2 3 times asking them to use it for trading etc i left because no one used it.

the second the leader made the forum but still no one uses it but the 2 of us i know from past games not everyone likes to use the forums but most still do as its an important part of the game

"anyone who is already on the open forum, might want to request a guild forum (as has been done countless times)"
as it has been done countless times does that show you there is a problem with the current system?

DeletedUser

as it has been done countless times does that show you there is a problem with the current system?

In my opinion it just shows that people are taking the trouble to go to the FoE forum, register, create a thread and ask a question that's already been covered in FAQ's and can be found in the search function, instead of just trying what those 8 buttons on the bottom left of the screen do.

I don't see that as a problem with the game.
I thought it was general knowledge that when you start playing a game you find out what your interface does.

- L

DeletedUser

In my opinion it just shows that people are taking the trouble to go to the FoE forum, register, create a thread and ask a question that's already been covered in FAQ's and can be found in the search function, instead of just trying what those 8 buttons on the bottom left of the screen do.

why should they have to go to all that trouble for something that could be fixed by making it more easily accessible...

I thought it was general knowledge that when you start playing a game you find out what your interface does.

- L

of course it is! it's the first thing i done when i started and when i joined a guild i expected the guild forum to take up the eighth button when it didn't i thought there wasn't one until i stumbled across it. My original mmo game was Tribal Wars so i was trying to see if there was a diplomacy section to see if my original guild had enemies i could attack there was none obviously but i did find great big GUILD FORUM was there...

it was previous game experience that eventually led me to the forum, if i didn't have previous experience, didn't know a forum existed as it's hidden behind two selections i probably still wouldn't know about it especially if the guild leaders where unaware or incompetent

DeletedUser

+1 for the idea

If players are not using the forum or message center, making it easier to see is not going to change anything.

I have to disagree. That's like saying that people are not going to buy more bread if the shop will be located near them.

DeletedUser

I have to disagree. That's like saying that people are not going to buy more bread if the shop will be located near them.

At least I wouldn't. I buy the amount of bread I need, if the shop is further, I'll just buy 2 at a time instead of 1 ;) It still lasts just as long as 2 breads bought one at a time..

But yeah, I do think the message center is quite visible enough. So if someone is not using it, they are choosing to ignore it.

The forums are quite a different case though, and I agree it would be nice if I could get on them with a single click. Just because I'm lazy :D And I can see how some people might never stumble on the forum button, not everyone is as curious as me and goes out to check the guild profile the moment they join one. My solution has been just telling everyone how to find the forum as they join the guild. It works pretty well. Some people still don't use the forums. They don't use it when I send them mail about stuff being on the forums either.
Some people will just never use the forums. But for the rest of us, it would just make life a tiny bit easier having it behind one click :)

~Mutzena~

DeletedUser554

Have you guys ever taken into consideration that other Inno games have guild/tribe forum indicators for new posts? And seeing this will start to be a guild/tribe based game very soon, it would make a lot of sense to have guild members notified by some sort of indicator like the blue star they have on Tribal Wars. And even an indicator for guild chat would be very useful. After playing for a year and in the same guild since May of last year, our guild forum is quite dead. Mainly due to the fact no one knows to check it for new posts. We are communicating through mass ingame mails. And that's not very productive. I'm pretty sure the forum masters on this forum site have their own forum set up for them selves with an indicator for new posts. Why can't the "beta" FOE have one as well? It is a small simple request a lot of players want. Why haven't you all put this in yet?

DeletedUser554

So its been 4 days mods. You think I could possibly get a response this week? :)

DeletedUser1094

Ohh... the Mods can reply... but that doesn't get any ideas implemented any faster. :p

We all... well, most of the posters that has responded... like this idea, and would also like to see it implemented asap. Unfortunately, we do not make this game... a group of professional game-developers and software-engineers are doing that, and we are all at their mercy regarding what to implement and when to do it. All we can do, is to try to point them in the direction we want to go... and pray for, that they'll comply. ;)
The do read these ideas and I'm sure they already have this idea written in the book of things to tweek and perfect, but are too busy, finishing the major game-plans. In time, they'll start with the tweek list...and I reckon it's a fairly large list.

Btw : It's futile to compare FoE to other games (even other InnoGame games). This is the Forge of Empires and it's unique.:cool:

DeletedUser554

Well thank you very much,King Dael! That's all I was looking for! Some sort of input.

I understand the uniqueness of FOE, I love this game btw. And I found it weird that a flashing icon was missed in the implementing of the guild forum. I played TW beta seven years ago and that was there in the beginning and also on some other games as well. But you made me very happy to give me a response.

I also understand that all ideas that are posted here are passed along to the game developers. I was a tiny bit frustrated not hearing a reply in almost a week. :p And as mods I must say you guys are doing a great job here. :) Keep passing along these great ideas because its making FOE a very great game!

Thanks again, King! :cool:

DeletedUser107196

+1 For the change to the Guild Forums

Something really needs to be done, as it currently is, everyone has to use email, b/c the Forums are too time consuming. One has to browse through all the tabs to see which Tab was replied to. When a person posts in a Tab (Forum Topic) that Tab should be highlighted to show that, at a glance, there are new posts in that Tab's Threads. This would reduce the time was has to spend just trying to catch up on the latest news. Email could then be used for either Guild notifications and individual communication. While the Forums could be used for Great Building Forge Point donation requests, Trades, Polish etc.

I also think it would be beneficial to switch the places of Guild Forum and FoE Forum. We don't need quick access to the FoE Forums, but it would be nice to have quick access to the Guild Forums.

Changes:
1) Have Guild Forum Topics (Headings) be highlighted when there are new posts in them.
2) Switch the places of Guild Forums and FoE Forums. Ready access, like email.

DeletedUser2989

Hi OutWardExpansion,

The change to the guild forums part of this idea is outdated (the spare space it references is now used up), the only part of this idea that is still relevant is to change the flash of the message button to a different color.

I can't find any ideas that propose either of the 2 changes you brought up, so those ideas would be best proposed in a new thread. I might recommend that they be split into their own ideas, some people may like one and not the other and it makes it harder to see what is popular about the idea and what isn't (and thus what should be forwarded and what shouldn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.