• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Does the German privacy law apply to this Forum ?

Emberguard

Legend
different laws and with police being law enforcement they'd need to be thoroughly versed on the specifics what can and cannot be included in those reports. Those reports would also have limited information depending on the situation.

I would expect a police officer to be far more familiar with what the law allows then from a volunteer. Both because of the nature of the role and because there's a big difference in the amount of time on the job applying it to actual situations.

That and employees / volunteers would base their decisions on company policy. If the policy is say less so we don't get our butts sued if you accidentally say something, then that;s what they'll base their decisions on.

DeletedUser111359

Report sent, not report recieved.

If I send a report to the police I get a message that they have recieved it and later on I recieve a copy of the report. Are you telling me they are breaking the law?

GDPR doesn't apply to the police investigating an offline crime anyhow. GDPR specifically applies to what "private" information a business can release to other people. Police records are public records, unless sealed by the court, on a case by case basis.

Agent327

Overlord
No different law at all. You are grasping at straws now. An automared message stating that your report has been recieved and will be investigated isn't against any law and no volunteer can mess it up.

Agent327

Overlord
GDPR doesn't apply to the police investigating an offline crime anyhow. GDPR specifically applies to what "private" information a business can release to other people. Police records are public records, unless sealed by the court, on a case by case basis.

It isn't German, it is European law that prevails and aknowledgeing you recieved a report does not give away any private information.

Emberguard

Legend
Not to mention all emergency services are governed by specific laws that do not apply to the public.

Just because police can do something, doesn't mean a company can follow suit

DeletedUser111359

It isn't German, it is European law that prevails and aknowledgeing you recieved a report does not give away any private information.

GDPR is a European law. Not a German one. General Data Protection Requirement.

DeletedUser99692

Every time you report you receive a message thanking you for the report. This is your confirmation that it is in the system. We then review the reports and act on them. INNO games conforms to GDPR and we conform to company policy for player privacy protection. It has been explained that the system does not allow for further confirmation of receipt and investigation.

Consider this. For as much satisfaction you may receive from naming and shaming a fellow forum user would you have the same satisfaction if you were the one named and shamed. User privacy is your safeguard don't ask us to breach it.

DeletedUser111359

No different law at all. You are grasping at straws now. An automared message stating that your report has been recieved and will be investigated isn't against any law and no volunteer can mess it up.

You certainly sounded like you were asking for a second automated message.

Agent327

Overlord
Every time you report you receive a message thanking you for the report. This is your confirmation that it is in the system. We then review the reports and act on them. INNO games conforms to GDPR and we conform to company policy for player privacy protection. It has been explained that the system does not allow for further confirmation of receipt and investigation.

Then why do you tell me I should report it when you can see in the system I did?

If I send an enail I get a messages saying I send it. Strangely enough that is no guarantee it will arrive.

Consider this. For as much satisfaction you may receive from naming and shaming a fellow forum user would you have the same satisfaction if you were the one named and shamed. User privacy is your safeguard don't ask us to breach it.

I give you the permission to name and shame me all you want. You have absolutely nothing on me that will be a breach of my privacy. You have a made up name, an email address and an IP, that's it. This entire privacy argument does not mean a thing.

Agent327

Overlord
You certainly sounded like you were asking for a second automated message.

No, I want only one message, but one that confirms it has been read and will be dealt with. Not a message that thanks me for reporting it and then days later I can still see nothing has been done with it.

DeletedUser111359

I give you the permission to name and shame me all you want. You have absolutely nothing on me that will be a breach of my privacy. You have a made up name, an email address and an IP, that's it. This entire privacy argument does not mean a thing.

Not every user has given them the same permission you have. And they aren't going to pick and choose who has, and who hasn't when there is a possibility of releasing any information.

And while you may think that the privacy argument is much ado about nothing, you'd be wildly wrong. GDPR violations would probably end Inno, if they were in breach. The penalties would be catastrophic, and the types of data covered are pretty widely ranging.

Agent327

Overlord
And while you may think that the privacy argument is much ado about nothing, you'd be wildly wrong. GDPR violations would probably end Inno, if they were in breach. The penalties would be catastrophic, and the types of data covered are pretty widely ranging.

It is. A confirmation of a report being dealt with has absolutely nothing to do with privacy.

DeletedUser111359

It is. A confirmation of a report being dealt with has absolutely nothing to do with privacy.

You specifically said that the argument was made up, in regards to releasing your account data, or others. Not just with regards to "dealt with".

rjs66

Lieutenant
quite simply....

the servers and everything on them belong to Inno Games, provided that Inno act within the framework of applicable law then they can run their servers however they please.

the only rights you have are what Inno grant you at their discretion, plus the right to see what information they hold about you and to have that information removed at your request.

so any argument about the law regarding this is moot, i'm sure their legal representatives have told them exactly what their position is.

DeletedUser111359

quite simply....

the servers and everything on them belong to Inno Games, provided that Inno act within the framework of applicable law then they can run their servers however they please.

the only rights you have are what Inno grant you at their discretion, plus the right to see what information they hold about you and to have that information removed at your request.

so any argument about the law regarding this is moot, i'm sure their legal representatives have told them exactly what their position is.

If people didn't argue about things they don't understand, can't change, and have no hard information on, there wouldn't be an internet at all would there? ;)

DeletedUser112892

I am sure tgere could be workaround. Many multiplayer games have report system like "Your report has been received" and "one or more players you reported received a penalty". Just a notification to player, and without naming player that was reported and received penalty.

Emberguard

Legend
@agent what you were told was general advice because you mentioned there was a problem. Just because advice was given doesn't mean it was never received, you could have had more to report and they wouldn't know until you report.

If you didn't trust the first automoted message saying it was received then why would you trust the second?

Agent327

Overlord
If you didn't trust the first automoted message saying it was received then why would you trust the second?

That message tells you the system recieved it. You do not know if something will be done with it. You trust it will, but yet you keep seeing that person insulting other players day after day and you keep getting mesages from him.

Now how would that look to you?