• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Does the German privacy law apply to this Forum ?

Emberguard

Legend
Okay, but at least player should be notified whether player he reported has breached forum rules or not. Okay, no need to reveal actions mods will do, but at least notify player about their report.

Minimum would be more like "We've received your report and dealt with [or are in the process of dealing with] the situation "

DeletedUser653

We do not respond to the player who sends in the report neither do we tell any player what actions we have taken in response to that report. That would be a breach of player privacy. Please be assured that we do deal with every report that is sent to us in a fair and impartial manner.

Amy thats incorrect on GDPR, you are allowed to tell the reporting player that the report that that player did was valid and action is being taken, nothing in GDPR prevents you at least doing this. Its also common decency to at least let a player know that a report he made was valid and that you are doing "Something". The "Something" details can be withheld.

DeletedUser111359

Amy thats incorrect on GDPR, you are allowed to tell the reporting player that the report that that player did was valid and action is being taken, nothing in GDPR prevents you at least doing this. Its also common decency to at least let a player know that a report he made was valid and that you are doing "Something". The "Something" details can be withheld.

But if you have a blanket policy of not saying anything, you avoid accidentally saying more than the law allows, and getting yourself in legal hot water. And given the draconian penalties for violating the law, that's a very understandable precaution.

As to your question, what should you do - well a mature response would be not to retaliate in return

Sadly, mature responses seem severely lacking. On all sides.

Virtual world discussion, real world butthurt feelings.

Not reality, just blips on a screen, easy to erase or ignore. Easier said than done, obviously.

DeletedUser653

But if you have a blanket policy of not saying anything, you avoid accidentally saying more than the law allows, and getting yourself in legal hot water. And given the draconian penalties for violating the law, that's a very understandable precaution.

its easy to have a standard answer whcih can be copied pasted by a mod, Ie
a) report received, investigated, no action taken. or
b) report received, investigated, action taken/to be taken.

Today, i report players cheating and report them and all i get is "thanks, but we cannot tell you if we are going put your report in the bin or even read it" type mail, wheres the motivation in a player helping to police the game here?

DeletedUser111359

I suspect that even an answer as vague as "action taken" or "action not taken" gives enough information that a properly litigious person could try making a case that it breaks the law, and thus is more than they are willing to say as a result.

And I'm not sure how much useful information an acknowledgement of receipt notice by itself really provides without that added part. They can just as easily say "we investigate all reports" up front and give the same information.

Emberguard

Legend
Would "We've received the report and if necessary will take the appropriate action. We are unable to discuss the matter further due to privacy laws" be vague enough?

DeletedUser653

No because you get the same report for everything. Emberguard, If i report you for your post above mine i will get that same report. Its so vage to be useless and they might as well shortern that to "message received"!

DeletedUser111359

You're just not going to get more out of them, than something saying "message received" unfortunately, because anything more than that could be interpreted as giving out too much.

And saying message received doesn't really convey any useful information, unless you're sufficiently paranoid that you think that the system might be losing reports.

Agent327

Overlord
Even an automated message saying "Report recieved" would be better than nothing.

Look at the answer twomsuk is giving

We are not privy to your private conversations unless they are reported to us as containing abuse.

He is a senior forum moderator. He should know it has been reported, so we do know what it takes. Then why this answer? It only makes things more confusing.

Emberguard

Legend
It's a pretty straightforward thing he's saying.

He no more has access to your PMs then an outsider would UNTIL you report the message. Once you report he has access but only for the sake of the report

That's not just this forum, that's the same for pretty much any forum website.

DeletedUser111359

At the time you report a message, you the system tells you that the report was filed. Sending you a separate message would be redundant. And wouldn't add any additional information.

Amy Steele

General
its easy to have a standard answer whcih can be copied pasted by a mod, Ie
a) report received, investigated, no action taken. or
b) report received, investigated, action taken/to be taken.

Unfortunately it's not so easy with xenforo, and would add hugely to the workload of the moderators concerned. Additionally, we would only be able to send a 'report received, and will be investigated' type response, for reasons already outlined in my earlier response in this thread (ie German privacy laws, under which we cannot discuss action taken against a player with a 3rd party).

Agent327

Overlord
It's a pretty straightforward thing he's saying.

He no more has access to your PMs then an outsider would UNTIL you report the message. Once you report he has access but only for the sake of the report

That's not just this forum, that's the same for pretty much any forum website.

I did report it, so he had access to it. Telling me I should report it is only confusing. Did he not get it? Did I not report it right?

They have had multiple reports on this and their answer is: you should report it??????

Emberguard

Legend
Unfortunately it's not so easy with xenforo, and would add hugely to the workload of the moderators concerned. Additionally, we would only be able to send a 'report received, and will be investigated' type response, for reasons already outlined in my earlier response in this thread (ie German privacy laws, under which we cannot discuss action taken against a player with a 3rd party).

yeah. Because if you replied only when the matter is resolved that in itself would give information. If it takes a week obviously something needed attending to. If it takes 5 mins then either it was very quick and easy to solve, or there was no breach of rules.

In other words: it'd open up the possibility of Angle shooting

I did report it, so he had access to it. Telling me I should report it is only confusing. Did he not get it? Did I not report it right?

They have had multiple reports on this and their answer is: you should report it??????
Case in point, this is angle shooting.

Agent327

Overlord

German privacy laws do not prevent you from letting someone know the report was recieved and you will look into it.

Emberguard

Legend
German privacy laws do not prevent you from letting someone know the report was recieved and you will look into it.
You already know that if the system says "report sent"

Short of having a list you can access of all reports you've ever sent with no reflection of whether or not they've been dealt with then that's all you're going to get without specifically asking if it was received (assuming they'd answer that in a direct manner).

Emberguard

Legend
but you've already been told that by the system. (and I said the angle shooting would be if they said something at the time of fixing the reported problem)

Agent327

Overlord
You already know that if the system says "report sent"

Report sent, not report recieved.

If I send a report to the police I get a message that they have recieved it and later on I recieve a copy of the report. Are you telling me they are breaking the law?