• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Does the German privacy law apply to this Forum ?

DeletedUser114563

I've asked Amy more then once and still I've had no reply.

DeletedUser111359

GDPR certainly does apply to the forums. But your understanding of it, is almost certainly flawed as well.

If you send a "private" message to someone else, they can still tell others about it. Inno can't make the message public without the consent of those involved. But when you say something to someone else, that other party is under no obligation to keep it confidential. And when your "private" messages to others are abusive of the system those others are encouraged, if not obligated to call you out for abusing the system.

The only way you can keep your thoughts of others completely confidential, is if you keep the tucked away in your head where nobody else can see them

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser99692

Can I ask you to have a little patience. Whilst Amy and the rest of the team try to provide information as quickly as possible please remember that we are human and occasionally other matters have to take precedent over responding to a players query. One of the senior team will fully address your concerns when they are free to do so.

DeletedUser114563

Thank you ma'am.
I'll wait for an official reply from Amy.

Agent327

Overlord
GDPR certainly does apply to the forums. But your understanding of it, is almost certainly flawed as well.

If you send a "private" message to someone else, they can still tell others about it. Inno can't make the message public without the consent of those involved. But when you say something to someone else, that other party is under no obligation to keep it confidential. And when your "private" messages to others are abusive of the system those others are encouraged, if not obligated to call you out for abusing the system.

The only way you can keep your thoughts of others completely confidential, is if you keep the tucked away in your head where nobody else can see them

100% correct.

Dead-Eye

General
This is the first I have heard of this. How would this be enforced? I just cant see the German courts issuing an international warrant for some guy called Richard of Shaw or another guy called Agent327 over their posts on this forum

DeletedUser111359

This is the first I have heard of this. How would this be enforced? I just cant see the German courts issuing an international warrant for some guy called Richard of Shaw or another guy called Agent327 over something as silly as what happens to every thread Pedro starts.

The German data privacy laws would apply to the company not to individuals posting on an open forum. And would cover what Inno does with private information that's not being openly shared. The data protection laws are purely, and entirely about keeping non-public data private.

And like I said. The laws that Pedro squalls about constantly don't apply to cases when someone he sends a message to repeats those words in the public forum. And since there is absolutely nothing "privileged" about the communications in the first place, his interest in the law is based on a faulty understanding of it, not on the actual laws at all.

When you send a message to another party, you can't dictate what they do with those words, without some sort of prior agreement with that other person. Once you put your words out there into the ether, they no longer are your private property.

Emberguard

Legend
https://danashultz.com/2015/01/15/telling-facebook-friends-means-telling-the-world/
^ there's a case for reference from America if you want to read

Without carefully reading what German law says it's difficult to say whether or not Agent broke any laws. This is not a case of reading a email without permission - you gave that permission by sending it. It's a case of can he having had a conversation with you then share that conversation with others.

In addition to German law there'd also be whatever was covered by the terms and conditions signing upto these forums. However that's a agreement between you and Inno, not you and Agent.

As such you and agent do not have a non-disclosure agreement between you. So unless the sign up terms and conditions stated we're not allowed to post conversations from "private" conversations on the forums then you're relying purely on finding something in german law about sharing information from a public forum in a semi-private location that you could invite anyone into.

Last edited:

Amy Steele

General
I'll wait for an official reply from Amy.
And here it is, though Sir Francis has already answered fully.

To expand a little, and relate it to this game and forum specifically - the German (and indeed now EU wide) data protection laws are there principally to protect customers (in our case players) from having data available to the company, relating to their account shared by that company with a third party (ie another player). This is therefore something as mods we can never do. It is for this reason that our rules forbid the discussion of moderation decisions (including content of support replies either via ticket or private message on this forum). Quite simply, these posts cannot be replied to, without the mod in question being at risk of breaching data protection law. To be clear, a player who posts regarding a moderator reply, action or decision, without first obtaining permission from the moderator concerned, is in breach not of data protection law, but of InnoGames rules.

Another player, to whom you send a private message, is not bound by these laws, as they are not privy to any data relating to your account, except insofar as you have freely shared with them (ie telling them how many level 1 Ships or Royal Kits you have in your inventory). This kind of information, once shared either on the public forum, or in private messages, may also be freely passed on, either by the sender, or by the recipient(s). Such posts may however be deleted by the moderation team, if they are off-topic for the thread they are in.

I hope this clarifies matters. My apologies for the delayed reply, and thank you for your patience. As twomsuk has said above

Whilst Amy and the rest of the team try to provide information as quickly as possible please remember that we are human and occasionally other matters have to take precedent over responding to a players query.

DeletedUser114563

Thank you Ami, have a nice day :)

And thank you again for removing the uncalled for insulting posts :)

Agent327

Overlord
So unless the sign up terms and conditions stated we're not allowed to post conversations from "private" conversations on the forums then you're relying purely on finding something in german law about sharing information from a public forum in a semi-private location that you could invite anyone into.

We never had a private conversation. He unsolicited send me and others insulting messages thinking German law would protect him.

The German privacy law forbids that any messages between two people be read by any one else, so it's I and you and nobody else :) LOL

Guess he now knows better.

Emberguard

Legend
Eh. For the sake of argument I'm saying conversation because that's what the private messages are called on here when clicking on the button

well I'm sure the law says we're not allowed to open his mail from his account without permission. Which is different from sending your own mail to someone.

Agent327

Overlord
well I'm sure the law says we're not allowed to open his mail from his account without permission. Which is different from sending your own mail to someone.

Does it really matter what the law says? This is a forum. He is sending insulting messages to multiple persons and mods let him get away with it.

Emberguard

Legend
Does it matter? Yes. It matters. We're all under the [relevant] law for as long as we use these forums. Whether we agree with that law or not.

DeletedUser112892

We never had a private conversation. He unsolicited send me and others insulting messages thinking German law would protect him.
Does it matter? Yes. It matters. We're all under the [relevant] law for as long as we use these forums. Whether we agree with that law or not.
I agree here with Agent. Should I just keep going while a player sends me serious insults? No.
I've reported his message in private conversation, didn't see any action from mods. So, what should I do after, except to show the conversation to other people to see what this player does?

DeletedUser99692

We are not privy to your private conversations unless they are reported to us as containing abuse. The same applies to your in game guild conversations, and private conversations, and private messages.

We do not respond to the player who sends in the report neither do we tell any player what actions we have taken in response to that report. That would be a breach of player privacy. Please be assured that we do deal with every report that is sent to us in a fair and impartial manner.

Agent327

Overlord
We are not privy to your private conversations unless they are reported to us as containing abuse. The same applies to your in game guild conversations, and private conversations, and private messages.

I did report them.

We do not respond to the player who sends in the report neither do we tell any player what actions we have taken in response to that report. That would be a breach of player privacy. Please be assured that we do deal with every report that is sent to us in a fair and impartial manner.

I know you do not respond, but fact that he has been reported several times by multiple players and can continue to send these type of insults says enough.

DeletedUser112892

Okay, but at least player should be notified whether player he reported has breached forum rules or not. Okay, no need to reveal actions mods will do, but at least notify player about their report.

Emberguard

Legend
I agree here with Agent. Should I just keep going while a player sends me serious insults? No.
I've reported his message in private conversation, didn't see any action from mods. So, what should I do after, except to show the conversation to other people to see what this player does?

In regards to Agent I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do with the message itself, I'm saying it still matters what the law says.

If it ever did come down to the court of law you can't justify your actions based on someone elses actions. If you tried you'd be laughed out of court and it certainly wouldn't do anything to lower any punishment or jail time. You can only justify based on the options available, how you responded and what would have been the right thing to do. There's no point in getting yourself in just as big trouble if it got out of hand as the person that's wronged you

As to your question, what should you do - well a mature response would be not to retaliate in return