• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Do You Hate Unfair Trades?

Yeah, I read them to my daughter. It was from Just William, written many moons back and only really pertinent and recognizable to British children of the '50s and'60s from home, Primary/Junior School and British TV. Lol, the grand old days of print and B+W TV.
I don't think Pippi was in the Just William stories. Pippi is Swedish. She has her own books, films and tv-series. Still going-strong today alongside other great works of Astrid Lindgren: Emil of Lonneberga and Ronja the Robber’s Daughter, for instance.

Well, totally off topic here, sorry :-)

DeletedUser

What I meant was that the character I described was from JW not that PL was and that I read the PL stories to my daughter, not the JW which are far too dated for later generations or other cultures for that matter.
Always liked her shoes, my girl persuaded me to make her a pair but ended up tripping over every time she wore them, we had DVDs of the shows which she enjoyed .

DeletedUser

Back on topic; just been having a good look around the Market. I'm still chuckling about the bizarre trades being offered. I only make or take the ones that suit me so I'm not really affected but I am now tempted to kick the chancers and those still trading like Noobs.
The most unfair of all Trades are from the Dealers but many of those I viewed come close,lol.

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
This topic / issue is still inconclusive.

We must take a step back, go to ground floor and examine the foundation of the structure, instead of arguing about the superstructures.

By foundation I mean "unfair trades" -- what is it, the definition of unfair trades need to be consolidated / refined; the categorization of unfair trades need to be differentiated.

By superstructures I mean overlying layers on top of what may or may not be unfair trades -- the issue such as guild rules and bullies.

I. Are the unfair trades ill-intended? Does the trader think the trades are unfair, or is it only the taker who thinks so? This leads to an issue perhaps discussed more in-depth in another thread (or some other threads) about "what are fair trades" "what should be the fair ratio". And I'm sure many people already agree, the official fair ratio or fair trade definition of "1:1 same age, 1:2 one age apart" (and therefore "skipping an age not allowed") is flawed. Everybody likes taking "down trades" where they spent 100 goods and received 200 the age below. And they are reluctant to give 200 and get 100 regardless of age. In this case, this current thread actually means "Do You Hate Unfair Trades (wherein 'fair' is by official definition)"

II. Who are the potential takers (that the trader has in mind or is targetting)? If the targets are neighbors, the scope of possible trades is limited. Neighbors are generally in the same or similar eras. They are not likely able to take trades that skip many ages. For the taker, the "Show only acceptable offers" button filter those out. (DT tower factor and buying goods with FP factor are excluded from this "study" due to limited resources). -- And that leaves friends and guildies. Who would intentionally entrap a friend? Does not make sense. And they can defriend him. This goes back to Point I, that the dealer deems the trade fair.

III. Further on from and a part of Point II, extracted as a separate part because of its significance and complexity. Unfair trades between guildies. In this part, me the researcher completely agree with those who vote "yes" to "Do You Hate Unfair Trades". In FOE, interactions are more extensive and tacit understanding is more important among guildies than among friends. Guildies are all mutual. Friends are not mutual. Where A is friend with B and is also friend with C, there B and C are not necessarily friends. As a result, however, the friend circle is looser, but wider. By contrast, the guild circle is narrower. It is a smaller and enclosed circle. Speical rules are allowed there. But they do not really want to lose a guildie because of such rules. The guild wants to have it both ways, as does an individual trader. The trader wants to enjoy the benefits of a strong guild as well as the freedom of seeking seemingly unlikely rare and curious encounters. The guild wants the convenience of blindly taking all trades without looking as well as the inclusiveness of having all types of members in all ages. This is more of the guild's dilemma and not the individual trader's fault.

*disclaimer*
This article is intentionally acclivitous (upward-inclining) in terms of wording to make the author sound more sophisticated. But no concrete material (substantial connotation) is guaranteed. The author hereby advises the readers to beware.

DeletedUser

Love the Disclaimer, lol.
Well put even without it.
I get it that Players get cheesed off with some of the very odd ratios and multi-Era spanning Trades, {sometimes also at odd ratios}. I shake my head, laugh and move on. For me; 2:1, 1:1 and 1:2 ratios have always seemed appropriate and "fair" regardless of the Goods Building's footprint. Up, across and down; clean, simple and no rancour incurred. But, feel free to disagree, do.
When I spot multiples I, like many others, rationalize them into single Trades, list and msg originator. Done that right from the beginning. Only once has anyone had an issue with this by demanding to know why he should pay 1FP when I wouldn't spend 10! I kid you not.
I don't take any of it personally, same for the rest of the Game and other Players. I'm playing against myself and the Game, not other Players some of whom have been here since day 1 and some who started a month ago. It's all good, chill and play each to our own way.

Last edited by a moderator: