• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Not a Bug: Display problems

DeletedUser

I did not do a proper bug template because I asked for support in game 12 hours ago and I am still waiting so no point to do it here also. I hope that there will be other members who can advise me if this is a game bug or a Shockwave bug or a bug on my own pc.

When I sign in the town displays normal. After a while (15 minutes to hours) I may notice that the floating crates or half moons are not appearing. I can hover over my production building, for example, and it says I can collect or begin to produce but there is no indicator). The same thing happens, even more frequently, when I go to a friend, neighbor, or Guild member to mot or pol. The light is on, I can hover to see what is available, but there is no floating sun/star to suggest "pick me"

If I then go to the next town I get a total collapse of the display. It looks like a bare field but it is not. I can hover over a blade of grass and get the info that there really is a building there. I took a screen shot of that to illustrate:
Disappearing towns.jpg

Any questions or suggestions? I can add that this has been happening for the last 24 hours. It is fixed temporarily by a reboot. I have emptied the cache for the site and reloaded (Ctrl F5) I used to get lots of Shockwave crashes but not lately (perhaps due to frequent reboots) I have a 2G wireless connection so it is slow by most standards but gets the job done.

EDIT: This is getting worse for me now. When I try to plunder after attacks there is (sometimes) no lightening bolt over plunderable buildings so I have to hover over each building to see what is available. The game is getting almost unplayable for me

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Taking a look at your screenie and seeing at your edit I'd suggest to try the following:

Please try clearing your cache and cookies.
Also note that having multiple tabs open will reduce priorities to FoE, which can make it extremely slow, as will having old cookies and cache.

Here are some guides on clearing your cache for Firefox, Chrome and IE:

Firefox:
Click me

Chrome:
Click me

IE 7, 8&9:
Internet Explorer 9 and 8:
- Click Tools, and select Delete Browsing History... .

- Deselect Preserve Favorites website data, and select Temporary Internet files, Cookies, and History.

- Click Delete.

Internet Explorer 7:
- From the Tools menu in the upper right, select Delete Browsing History... .

- To delete your cache, click Delete files... .
- To delete your cookies, click Delete cookies... .
- To delete your history, click Delete history... .

Click Close, and then click OK to exit.

Also make sure you have the latest Flashplayers:
Click me

Note that logging into the game after a cache clear will be slow the first time, because all the game data has to be downloaded into the cache again.

That should help.

- L

DeletedUser

I appreciate your trying to help and I did get explanations in response to my ingame ticket but for some reason my display problem seems worse than others. It got worse when my neighborhood merged to 80 members but that is likely coincidence. In one world I have 80 neighborurs, 79 friends and 79 Guild members but on another world I have little of either and get the same problem.

The problem with clearing the cache is that there are lots of other sites on my computer too. Every time I clear the cache I have to go to each site and adjust the settings and wait for downloads. I have a slow connection so all of this is frustratingly slow.

I have gone so far as to delete my flash player and try to install an earlier version. I have not had much luck with that yet. In short, the game is really unplayable for me now and that is sad. I like it. But there is no point in playing it if it is going to frustrate me more than entertain me so perhaps I will try again in a month or so. Maybe the bugs will be out of it by then.

Best of luck to all. I hope I find a solution, but after dropping all my friends and guildies its going to be useless to come back.

*waves

EDIT:

I am stubborn and I hate to give up until all avenues have been exhausted so I came up with an idea that seems to be working for me. Allow me to share. I use Google Chrome for my day to day web browsing. I decided to download the latest version of Firefox to use ONLY with this game. Then I updated everything I could think of, deleted flash and shockwave and reloaded both, defragged my hard drive and more that I cannot even remember. Played around with it for many hours.

So now I use Firefox exclusively for this game and it seems to be playable again. Its not perfect but I can live with it :-) The game seems to use a LOT of resources. More than any other browser game I have tried. But my plan is to delete the cache on Firefox once in a while without having to do so with my main, Chrome browser.

Wish me luck. I really enjoy the game when it plays well.

DeletedUser

Hey GrossEyeEh,

The game does indeed use an extreme amount of resources.
This is being worked on gradually, but with new features being implemented often that sometimes need to go back to the workshop, it doesn't do much good to clean up the code for something that needs to be changed again.
As Blacksmith stated a few other times, once the game is reaching a more final stage, a bigger clean up of coding will be done and the game should run smoother and with less resources.

For now, just look at it as a construction yard. It just looks like a big mess, but once the structure is finished it's awesome. ;)

6812804217_595c34fa28_z.jpg
473ee9d58c915&filename=211239773_940d75fc4d_b.jpg

- L

DeletedUser

Being in the construction business, i am amazed at how a straight grid of metal beam turns into an arched roof.
:p

DeletedUser

Good question, but those were definitely nice illustrations of the idea that he was trying to convey, i.e. messy (but mostly functional) now; but will be cleaner and more shiny later on. :)