• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Discussion on healing time. Digressing discussion of unit production time.

DeletedUser

I realize that there could be many valid arguments concerning the realism of units getting injured and healing or damaged and repaired. This, however has only borderline relevance in a computergame that needs gameplay first and foremost.

So healing time of units.

Its a work in progress, I know, but at this point Ill postulate that its simply too slow. - It takes away from the gameplay by encouraging behaviour that shouldnt be effective.

As I understand it a unit that has a 2 hour production time (we can have a discussion later about whether it should only be spearmen that dont take forever to produce, but its a big jump from 20 secs to an hour to two hours etc. etc. Is there a point to slowing down the production of units to the point where it discourages people from spending time in the game?)

But I digress.

As I understand it a unit with a production time of 2 hours will take approximately (correct me if Im wrong) 3 hours and 20 minutes to heal from a theoretical 0 hit points. 90 % heal would take 3 hours.

Why? It slows down the pace of the game. - Yes, it should be a challenge to attack many players, but as the competition element in the game largely consists of the pvp tourneys, I find it too limiting to be sitting around waiting for units to heal for several hours. - It means that people will spend less time in the game and while the sun and a IRL life is a good thing, Im figuring that its not the responsibility of the FOE to get the kids out into the healthy sun for (admittedly) probably much needed vitamins and exercise. - Shouldnt the game encourage as much time as possible spent online in the unhealthy pale glow of the computer screen up to and including the point of slowly wasting away or suffering a passing away from a massive overdose of pizza and coke?

In any case, having a longer healing rate than a production rate will mean that there are quite a lot of situations where it pays off (I know there is a production cost, but its neglible next to the time issue) to let units die instead of using clever strategy in the battle to make them survive. - That seems to be a wrong priority to me.

Id say that for gameplay purposes the healing time of a unit (full heal of all hitpoints) should be no longer than the production time of a unit. Id prefer it shorter, but then again, I would prefer much smaller jumps in the production time of units. The 20 seconds of spearmen works. - It could even be a minute. - Swordmen could be 5 or 10 minutes then moving up to say 1 hour. - I must admit, I dont see the reason to past an hours production time. I mean get 3-4 heavy units that you depend on killed or seriously injured and you cant do anything aggressive for half a day other than going outside and shouting at the kids enjoying the fresh air and the sun. And thats a slippery slope. I might even get some exercise chasing them around waving a big stick.

Irony may have been used in the above, but my argument remains (even if you build multiple buildings of the unit you like to get killed). Personally Im depending a lot on spearmen as fodder units, which theres of course nothing wrong with. They have it coming running around and waving pointy sticks at people. But its going to be a bit silly when Im still deploying them against tanks and theres still a very decent point in it. I also find myself spending a very healthy amount of time away from the game when my units are damaged or building for hours and hours yet again.

It leads me to ask the question: Dont you guys like me. Dont you want me to spend ALL my time in the game. (Sniff)

DeletedUser

That's a really good point, actually. The cost to build the units I've seen, so far, is a paltry sum. As it currently stands, if the unit is sufficiently damaged in battle, it makes more sense to dismiss the unit and train a new one. Healing time should never exceed training time. Really, the best (read: easiest and simplest) policy would be a linear progression that equates 100% health recovery with the full training time. Thus, recovering 1% of the health of the unit should require 1% of the training time. If you wanted to get fancy, you could develop a logarithmic progression, but I don't think it's a good idea (I'm ignoring the protests of my inner math geek). Although such a thing would provide an incentive to keep your troops from getting hurt in battle, it would be a lot of work to tweak properly. More trouble than it's worth, imo.

DeletedUser2974

Tviorr,

This is actually quite a great idea. I don't think that the healing time for the units was set for any specific time or reason as I have seen. It does seem more like a work in progress as you said. It might be a good idea to post this in the Ideas forum in the format provided. I would like to see what other people think about the healing time being the same as training time, I mean, as you said, it would only make sense to have units heal faster than you can train them.

However with that, I also think it is the way it is right now because the developers want to penalize those people who wound their units and then just dismiss them to train them again by making them pay resources to get them back. Even though thye don't cost many resources, it's still cheaper (free) to let them heal.

Those are some of my thoughts, maybe a good idea would be to make the healing time double the training time. That was if your unit is under 50% health and you are willing to spend the resources you can get the unit back to full health faster by training, but if the unit is over 50% health it would be better just to let him heal.

Again, I would recommend posting this to Ideas. :)

~Ninga78234