• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Diamond Alert in High Scores List

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Idea for modified high score list

I just had the idea that somehow in the high score list there would be an indicator of how many diamonds the player had purchased next to their score.

First of all, I naturally knew that this idea would not be accepted, since it was against the idea of making money.

Second, I realize that it might be impractical from a technical point of view.

It has been commented that how people spend their money is their business. That may be true, but if you were competing in the olympics for the bronze medal, since the top two performers were using steroids, and you knew you could not beat them, then you would naturally ask the administrators, even if you thought that it was in vain, if they could maybe at least let the public know that the "winners" were using steroids. I think that the analogy is quite accurate. But on the other hand, if the people buying the diamonds pay for the game, as some people have also reminded me of, then naturally it makes things... well, complicated.

Excuse me for thinking that someone is actually winning based upon their high score. Usually that is what the high score list is supposed to do. And a little bit off topic, why couldn't we optionally sort the players by battles played? That is not a privacy issue.

The medal rankings are all at zero on my browser, so they do not give any perspective.

In any case, I think it is just an interesting discussion, and that is why I am changing it from the original, because I just wanted to generate discussion in this revised post.

Naturally not everyone will share my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1081

... everyone can get diamonds from quests.
and using diamonds doesn't preclude anyone being a skilled player, a good helpful neighbour to other players, and/or having any of a number of fine attributes.

DeletedUser

I have received diamond from a quest and also bought some, my theory is you buy a game from a shop or online so why not support the makers of this game. Just a quick question - do you rent movies or download them for free?

DeletedUser1081

I do not think that that the person in first place in Cirgard right now got their diamonds from quests.
They have bought every building there. It would have cost them probably $100 or more.

... so what?

if the number one player got there by beating up on all his/her neighbours nonstop, someone else wouldn't like it. if they got there by clicking every 15 minutes, someone else would consider that unfair. but in this game, one person getting ahead doesn't mean someone else is being trounced, so everyone who's feeling bitter about someone else's status should just feel free to focus on their own game and not worry about what other people are doing.

if you haven't gotten any diamonds in quests, either you've been skipping quests or you haven't been playing long enough (or both).

this isn't an actually an idea proposal - you're just griping about someone else's status, and doing a lot of negative stereotyping. so i'm wafting it off to another section of the forum. have a nice waft :cool:

DeletedUser

I have not yet found any diamonds in the quest, and I am leading my neighborhood, as well as coming up in the rankings in Cirgard. It has been noted that only 8 of the top 20 in Cirgard got there without buying things with diamonds which no one else has had access to at this point.

If I am not mistaken you can get up to 50 diamonds through quests, but yes, it takes more than that to get to the place where the top people are, lol.

Diamonds are in my view, which is debatable, a way for the game to make money/ a way for people to pay for a high score. The reason I think it should have an alert posted (at least how many diamonds they have used), is for people who play for stinking hours on end, like I have been, along with many others, without spending money buying diamonds, also have a sense of accomplishment. Also, for those who absolutely cannot afford to spend anything, it makes it more fair to know who else has not gotten diamonds.

I hope that makes my point more clear.

I am fairly sure diamonds are the way this game makes money. There are so many games in the world that you can buy premium, and even though I do not buy diamonds at this point in the game," waiting for them to drop in price a bit." I do not condemn people for buying them.

I can tell who has bought diamonds just by looking at their city.

Think about it, if Innogames made this game without premium, how long would you expect them to stay running? They would not last long without being able to pay for servers, and this, and that.

DeletedUser

If I am not mistaken you can get up to 50 diamonds through quests, but yes, it takes more than that to get to the place where the top people are, lol.

I am up to 150 diamonds through quests and the last two gave 25 diamonds each for having one of each of the 5 HMA goods buildings and the other was to have 3 of each HMA military unit at the same time so they can be annoying to get but going for a expansion with them will help.

However I have not purchased any diamonds and I am ranked 6 in Arvahall.

Fighting a lot helps.

He is probably looking for a notification on the rankings page to show who has bought them as everyone can get them from quests and it's easy enough to show by looking at a persons purchase history.

Maybe make different color icons for the amount going from bronze - silver - gold.

DeletedUser276

:) I understand where he is coming from however this goes on par that its not really anyones business who is buying what and how much. Thats like asking who here has a credit card and what the rate on it is. The only business my credit cards belong to are me and the mrs and our credit card company.

While I see that you want to know who buys (excessive) amounts of diamonds the best way to know it is just to look at their cities.

DeletedUser

I don't think we want to know how deep their pockets are but a 'diamond' icon next to their name or score or w/e could indicate if a player bought diamonds, be it $1,- or $1000,- worth, and seeing people can see this from their cities anyways, what is the hassle for adding an icon in the list.

If one wants to compete without diamonds one doesn't have to look at each and every city to determain if a player has any bought and then see which player is the one playing without spending any cash, so they can 'compare' themselves with this player, and see how far/much they have to go, and one would just exclude any buying players from the mental 'competition' list, making being the highest non buying player a meta-game (game within a game).

Thus again, no need to know howmuch spend, just 'if' spend, and seeing this info is clear from the players city, this is already info out in the open, thus there is no reason to exclude it from any list, other than making it a hassle to find out which is the top player in your personal 'to get to' list...

DeletedUser

i got 25 diamonds from my quest... but after the updates... all is gone.
I post before but no reply till now...

DeletedUser

I am going to play 'devil's advocate' here, just because I try and look at both sides of the picture (and get a chuckle out of annoying people, sometimes) - instead of a diamond for people that buy diamonds why not a little Scrooge for people that don't? :P

Why are we the bad guys?

DeletedUser

I am going to play 'devil's advocate' here, just because I try and look at both sides of the picture (and get a chuckle out of annoying people, sometimes) - instead of a diamond for people that buy diamonds why not a little Scrooge for people that don't? :P

Why are we the bad guys?

No one said it's a bad thing but can be a unique icon.

I don't see how that's a bad thing so much as a cosmetic bonus like many games have.

DeletedUser

I'd like to see the vp's for diamond stuff brought back to the level of non-diamond items.

You already get the bonus of higher production, happiness, etc but it doesn't promote game play with your new found wealth.
These players should still be able to be in the top tier because of the advantages provided by what they've got, but they shouldn't be there because they bought a pretty town.
I think this would satisfy most of the non-diamond players. It looks from what I've seen of the arguments that the main complaint is that some are able to buy their position rather than earn it through playing.

I don't mind games that have premium content, but I like the ones that give some way to get some of it through play.
Here you get a few diamonds from quests, but in a game like WestWars you get a daily logon bonus, which after five days is one gold piece, the equivalent of a diamond. This is a good way to encourage people to play on a regular basis as well as giving a small bonus to these people. OK so it's still going to take ages to get much but it's still more than you get now.

DeletedUser

Why are we the bad guys?

You're not. There's nothing wrong with being a premium player, so I don't get why some people are taking such offense to this idea and are getting all defensive about their diamond usage :confused:

As for your 'Scrooge' suggestion lol that's a bit unfair, don't you think? :p
I doubt all of us non-premium players refrain from buying diamonds because we're too stingy to do so. Some of us like the challenge and get a bigger sense of accomplishment playing the game this way. That does not mean I look down on the players who do buy diamonds, by the way. Then there are those of us who are simply too poor (I happen to belong to both those categories :p).

DeletedUser1081

You're not. There's nothing wrong with being a premium player, so I don't get why some people are taking such offense to this idea and are getting all defensive about their diamond usage :confused:

probably because of the way the original post was initially worded, Lord Zena. the poster has changed it considerably, which may make some of the responses look a bit off.

DeletedUser

probably because of the way the original post was initially worded, Lord Zena. the poster has changed it considerably, which may make some of the responses look a bit off.

I know, I've been following this thread from the start. I just hadn't posted anything before now because the idea/suggestion isn't all that important to me personally, though I see no harm in it either :)

Edit: Having said that, I don't think there should be any indication of how many diamonds a person has bought. Just an icon showing who the premium players are should be enough. As Blacksmith posted earlier, it's none of our business how much someone chooses to spend on this (or anything else, for that matter).

DeletedUser

We should all concentrate on building our own cities and forget whats going on elsewhere this is getting to much, what does it matter that player One is using Diamonds and player 2 isn't. It doesn't interest me in the slightest who has bought diamonds as it wont help me increase the levels in my own village.
You have 2 choices spend or dont' there is no right way and there is no wrong way to play the game.

DeletedUser

I believe that part of the charm of this game is that you can play the game in anyway you like and the only person effected is you. If you want to build a pretty village and not bother with killing then you will not get destroyed and your game ruined because some bigger and stronger then you comes along and destroys your village.
If you cannot afford diamonds it takes a little longer to grow but does not adversely effect the outcome of your game.
If you spend I do not believe it gives you any huge advantage over your neighbor apart from gaining points faster.
You still have the same number of troops as them, you cannot build a huge army (as in other games) and destroy them, you are in the long run no stronger them them.
All it does is gives you a chance to grow faster, so if people are prepared to pay for that then so be it. In the long run it effects no one, and helps the developers of our game get on with the work needed to make a great game greater.
So each to their own way of playing and however you play enjoy :)

DeletedUser

...It doesn't interest me in the slightest who has bought diamonds...
Then ignore this thread it's just a discussion not a ruling council

I believe that part of the charm of this game is that you can play the game in anyway you like and the only person effected is you. If you want to build a pretty village and not bother with killing then you will not get destroyed and your game ruined because some bigger and stronger then you comes along and destroys your village....
That's what I like too. That and the fact that it's hard for anyone to ever crush you like some games by the simple mechanism that your defence doesn't actually die. You may lose a bit of stuff but your not knocked out and having to start all over.

Diamonds do give a production advantage, I would just rather see victory points being earned through activity rather being for sale . I have no problem with diamonds existing or anyone making an income from selling them.

DeletedUser2111

Hello..
is it possible to make Diamond Ingame shop? like ihave seen in other Browser games they sell ingame items for real money ..
or sell items for resources/gold ;)
maybe we can do the same in Forgeofempires ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.