• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Device not supported

Vesiger

Monarch
One of the main reasons I wanted to update my 2013-era tablet was because FoE was becoming so horribly unstable on it. So I bought a 'new' second hand tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab E) that was bigger, faster and had more storage space.
Unfortunately I can't even download FoE onto it, because the Play Store tells me "Your device isn't compatible with this version" (and I'm somewhat taken aback to find that it apparently runs a lower version of Android - only 4.4).
What are the device requirements?

Emberguard

Legend
Vesiger! :D Long time no see :)

1637017815121.png

Android - only 4.4).
First up, are you able to update the tablet you bought to anything above 4.4 or is that as high as it'll update to?

Secondly, I see one of two options:
(1) try to get it to work on that tablet (maybe contact support so they can communicate with the devs or something)
(2) see if you can get it refunded and look for something with a higher Android version

The main issue I can see with your new device is even if you get it to work on the version it's running, we're now on Android 12 and with Android 4.4 being so close to the cut off point there's no telling how long a version that low will remain compatible for.

Vesiger

Monarch
US models apparently go up to Android 7.12, but our European ones don't upgrade beyond 4.4!

I'll have to see if the shop will take it back, and sell me a more expensive model, I think. FoE isn't the only app that doesn't work (though I'm puzzled, if it really only requires Android 4.3), and the newer device turns out actually to have less storage space than the old one - half of which was instantly consumed by downloading the latest version of Google Play Services to get the app store even to launch in the first place :-(

Vesiger

Monarch
Done it.
I now have a £110 Samsung tablet from 2016 with Android 8, and (after sitting through a thousand-megabyte download; the 117M is only the game engine itself, not the buildings, special events, etc) I now have the game up and running. Let's hope this fixes the problems I've been having for years with FoE crashing the onscreen keyboard and/or itself when I try to use the message system!
I even got to see the animations briefly before the performance hit got to be too much; I'd actually forgotten about roads having cars on...