• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Implemented: Defensive Great Buildings

DeletedUser2989

This was implemented along with the GB rebalanced if I'm correct... None the less effectively implemented. :)

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
I know this is an old post and "implemented" which means, like, "closed", but, a brilliant idea lighted upon me that is related to this one, i.e.,
There should be a Great Building that boosts the army's AI.
This applies to both the attacker and the defender.
For a defender, it is always the AI doing the fight for you.
For the attacker, AI is at worker as soon as you click "Autobattle".
I think the current AI is intentionally made stupid. Surely the programmers can do much better. They just chose not to.
Think about chess, and think about playing chess against computer.
There are beginner level, intermediate level, master level, supermaster level, and so on.
Maybe also the Ultimate level such as Alpha Go.
Eventually, no human player can win a fight against the smartest level of AI, using equivalent forces (armies).
When these different levels of AI are in place, a new Great Building can be introduced whose bonus is to increase the smartness of the AI.
Or, an easier-to-implement approach:
Only two levels of AI are required: the stupid AI (the current one) and the smart AI.
And the new Great Building's bonus is to increase the percentage that a computer-controlled military unit should become smart.
By that time, a player can just enter a battle, click "auto", and sit back and "watch and learn".

As an example to make the AI smarter, first let's notice that currently, a military unit controlled by AI often attacks the enemy unit who is to act in the next turn. Obviously, the AI unit hopes to kill that enemy unit so that it does not get its turn. A smarter AI, however, can calculate whether it will be able to kill the enemy unit with one shot. If not, it does not attack the enemy unit who has the next turn, but the one who has the next-next turn, so that two adjacent AI military units can kill an enemy unit so that that enemy unit dies before getting its turn. Sounds easy enough.

Last edited:

Agent327

Overlord
I know this is an old post and "implemented" which means, like, "closed", but, a brilliant idea lighted upon me that is related to this one, i.e.,
There should be a Great Building that boosts the army's AI.
This applies to both the attacker and the defender.
For a defender, it is always the AI doing the fight for you.
For the attacker, AI is at worker as soon as you click "Autobattle".
I think the current AI is intentionally made stupid. Surely the programmers can do much better. They just chose not to.
Think about chess, and think about playing chess against computer.
There are beginner level, intermediate level, master level, supermaster level, and so on.
Maybe also the Ultimate level such as Alpha Go.
Eventually, no human player can win a fight against the smartest level of AI, using equivalent forces (armies).
When these different levels of AI are in place, a new Great Building can be introduced whose bonus is to increase the smartness of the AI.
Or, an easier-to-implement approach:
Only two levels of AI are required: the stupid AI (the current one) and the smart AI.
And the new Great Building's bonus is to increase the percentage that a computer-controlled military unit should become smart.
By that time, a player can just enter a battle, click "auto", and sit back and "watch and learn".

As an example to make the AI smarter, first let's notice that currently, a military unit controlled by AI often attacks the enemy unit who is to act in the next turn. Obviously, the AI unit hopes to kill that enemy unit so that it does not get its turn. A smarter AI, however, can calculate whether it will be able to kill the enemy unit with one shot. If not, it does not attack the enemy unit who has the next turn, but the one who has the next-next turn, so that two adjacent AI military units can kill an enemy unit so that that enemy unit dies before getting its turn. Sounds easy enough.

Not really brilliant and absolutely stupid to add it to this thread.

MP75

Master Corporal
No. And the reason why is becouse there are 3 offensive GBs and only 2 defensive GBs. The current maximum offensive boost is 150%, while the current maximum defensive boost is 200%. If you nerf the defensive GBs to just 5% per level, we will end up with 150% offensive boost and only 100% defensive boost. And then, we will end up in the exact same spot again, less defensive boost even though the attacking player has a base-advantage.
Don't forget The Kraken,it gives a huge advantage to the attacker only and it isn't working in both ways like Arctic Orangery that could be helpful when you attack a player or defend your city !

DeletedUser108359

Iv got to agree that the AI should be addressed. Saying its stupid is being polite.
For example, even fighting manually i sometimes click on the unit i wish to attack next then click again and my unit then attacks. But lets say im using a Ranger against a Dragoon ( im just using example here ) the ranger has bonus against the horseman and gets an extra defense bonus from forests as well as the hide ability.
next to the dragoon is a forest and a plain, the AI sends my Ranger to the plain where he has nothing instead of to the forest. and if the enemy has a rifleman who must move next, he shoots my ranger who has no cover.
This happens a lot with different troops, the AI should send your troop to the position where he has the best boosts.

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
Iv got to agree that the AI should be addressed. Saying its stupid is being polite.
For example, even fighting manually i sometimes click on the unit i wish to attack next then click again and my unit then attacks. But lets say im using a Ranger against a Dragoon ( im just using example here ) the ranger has bonus against the horseman and gets an extra defense bonus from forests as well as the hide ability.
next to the dragoon is a forest and a plain, the AI sends my Ranger to the plain where he has nothing instead of to the forest. and if the enemy has a rifleman who must move next, he shoots my ranger who has no cover.
This happens a lot with different troops, the AI should send your troop to the position where he has the best boosts.
I (think I) understand what you are saying. When you are fighting manually, there are six honeycomb cells surrounding the enemy unit you wish to attack, maybe including more than one that is reachable by your attacking unit. If you directly click on the enemy unit to attack, your unit won't go to the optimal honeycomb cell to carry out the action. (Apparently, it will go to the cell with the minimum movement cost.) (Also, I'm not quite sure. Sometimes if you rotate the mouse / the cursor around a little, draw the cursor closer to any one of the six edges of the honeycomb cell, then your unit will go to a different position, to attack from a different angle. Either that or I'm confusing the FOE battleground with the Heroes of Might and Magic battleground...)

Contrary to the above, when in AutoBattle, the AI will do the exact opposite, say it's a Spearfighter, or a Berserk. Due to defence boost in forest, the unit will always try to find trees/bushes to hide. Even when the opponent has all Artillary units. So if a tree or bush is one cell (/mesh) away, then the Spearfighter or Berserk will move only one cell / mesh distance, to reach that tree or bush. And it'll take the unit forever to reach the long-range Artillery!

Nevertheless, all in all, how did I landed on this thread, is that I was searching for info on Saint Basil's Cathedral to see whether I should build it. So that was my starting point, or motive, or intension. I tried to stick to the topic while not giving up my problem at hand, by doing what is similar to the OP, that is, proposing a Great Building, that boosts AI, because, the title says "implemented," like concluded and closed. Provoking a sleeping post and wandering off topic, that's like double crime. So let's forget about the AI and get out here before become arrested. You'll return to the Black Pearl I guess. I'll find my way back to Aiur or the planet Char... where I have some some personal matter to attend to... 8-)