• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Defensive Army AI

Groovy Prof

Corporal
I am constantly being attacked by armies consisting of 1 x regular unit and 7 x rogues, and being annihilated.
I've watched playback and the AI for defence is atrocious!
It was sending units into fire zones with no purpose then targeting rogues leaving the only regular unit untouched!

Is there a way to program my AI Defence to have an order of targeting/importance?
If not why not?
Surely we should have a modicum of control over how our defensive units behave?
Maybe in a future update this can be considered, or just an overhaul of the defensive AI?

Groovy Prof

Corporal
But would it take a lot to change/ tweak the defensive AI to not be quite so dumb?
I can retaliate and wipe out the army with not a scratch....just seems crazy that defence is so poor.
At high levels on world map, expedition and battleground the AI does not target rogues....so obviously there is a setting for the AI that is more effective.

Groovy Prof

Corporal
How about introducing a new GB like Dover Castle, The Great Wall or Tower of London which allows you to set parameters on your defensive AI?
Maybe giving you the ability to change order of playing your units...?

Powe

Brigadier-General
But would it take a lot to change/ tweak the defensive AI to not be quite so dumb?
I can retaliate and wipe out the army with not a scratch....just seems crazy that defence is so poor.
At high levels on world map, expedition and battleground the AI does not target rogues....so obviously there is a setting for the AI that is more effective.
Here, let me correct that.

Knight of ICE

Would it be so bad to have the same AI defence from world map in defensive mode?
As opposed to idiotic mode?
I appreciate nothing has changed so far, but is that a reason to not improve the future?

Yes it would be. If it was as easy as you think it is, it would have been changed already.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Would it be so bad to have the same AI defence from world map in defensive mode?
As opposed to idiotic mode?
I appreciate nothing has changed so far, but is that a reason to not improve the future?
YES!

Consider the hoops that attacking players must jump through in order to plunder someone;
a) defeat the Defending Army.
b) find something worth looting.
c) wait for a target building's production to finish.
d) hope & pray that said building doesn't get polivated, thus removing it from the possible 'plunder pool' of buildings.

That's a fair amount of obstacles to overcome, while also noting that 99% of the most desirable buildings to plunder, can be motivated and thus protected from plundering!

So no, we don't need to dumb down the plunder mechanic anymore than the 'baby's first multiplayer game' levels we already have... if you don't want to get plundered, then improve your game. (it's honestly not hard - just add .05% of effort really:P)

PeePee Pleb

Lieutenant
Every player needs to cope with the fact that FoE favors offense, not defense.
For defense, you can only stack %s (attack and defense boost for defending army), while for offense you also have bonuses like AO critical strike bonus, Kraken bonus and Virgo bonus.
No matter how many tweaks does defense AI get, the only thing that will happen is that attackers won't auto-battle you, but do manual battle instead.

Knight of ICE

You could first get rogues in 2014.

You could first get rogues during the 2013 Easter Event and it is all about how you want to look at it. Is this about the AI, or about rogues. Anyhow, you are wrong.

potatoskunk

Master Corporal
It would be easy to change the AI to be somewhat smarter than it is now; simply changing it to target non-rogue units ahead of rogues (champions and defending armies on the campaign map already do this) would make it more expensive to attack. It would still be inferior to a human, so you would still expect the attacker to generally get through.

Regardless of whether any changes are made to the AI, though, you should assume that a determined attacker will find a way to get in.

DESYPETE

Lieutenant
You could first get rogues during the 2013 Easter Event and it is all about how you want to look at it. Is this about the AI, or about rogues. Anyhow, you are wrong.
that makes me feel old as i was first here when we got the rogues, i first started playing before we had industry era, i quit the game when they brought in gvg and all the cheating started. i came back for a 2nd go about 4 - 5 years ago and i have to admit i loved the early part of the game, it got me hooked again, but now there is just so many players all finding ways to exploit the game, there not cheating as the game lets them get away with it, but it certainly not a fair game like it once was.

the rogues were the most powerful unit in the game, and you will need them if you ever hope to compete with high hitters in the game. certainly it would make the game so much more harder if they were removed, but then me being a game dinosaur, i would want the removeal of the 1.9 and arks from the game, and go back to setting gbs to max level 10 no higher like it was when i first started playing. but no one listens to my rants : (