• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Defensive Army AI

Knight of ICE

I use a combination of relevant units and rogues in my battles.
I am at progressive era and have experienced the AI both on the world map and in expedition, not targeting my rogues first.
Maybe this is due to my era and the era I am battling against...but think if available elsewhere why not as the defensive AI as well?

You can go on with this as long as you want. You are making statements about what you experienced, but what it comes down to is that you really did not pay attention to what happened, why it happened and how it happened. You have made multiple statements on how the AI works that are totally wrong. If you really want to improve something, learn how it works first.

Once you have, I am willing to discuss this with you. Till then, have fun chasing windmills.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
As to the 'catch up' not expecting it either. But I'm sure we have all encountered the player that has a city, the units, the attacking power commensurate with their ranking points of millions attacking the small sub par, less than 100k players. To me these easy wins, no brainers, auto wins, to steal goods or whatever, do not formulate a challenge, and are to a certain degree, beneath me. But to those who need to do them every day and incessantly it is a form of bullying. To those who take pleasure and gratification from doing it, it is bullying.
If these supposedly helpless & weak players can't be arsed to pick up their goods/productions on time, then I will always happily put those finished productions to a better & more productive use for them.
I'm sure we all know the type... the city with 10-50k or so pts that leaves 24/48hr productions sitting around, uncollected for a day or more at a time, never bothers to hit the aid button, etc... Why should I feel anything for such a player? They obviously don't care that much about what happens to their city, so if I can swipe 20-30 previous era goods to cover the cost of a couple GE negotiations, then why shouldn't I do something that's a positive benefit for myself and by extension, help out my guild too?!

And yes, if someone wants to leave their 8hr/24hr productions uncollected every single day, I'll gladly help myself to them, especially if they're sitting there, lonely & looking for a more loving home. :)
It's not that hard to set your productions to finish at a time that fits into one's daily goings-on. If a player can't figure out how to do that, then that's on them, and not the daily plunderer/s. (...damn, maybe this inability to add 2 and 2 together is the so-called "new math" some are always going about?!:P)

In sports you don't seek out lesser players to compete with, you take on those at the same standard and preferably better, in order to improve your own game.
Riiiiiiight... so because the Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won a Cup in 53 years, the other 30 NHL teams just give them a pass and don't beat up on them every single year? It's not like they only made the play-offs once across 12 years or anything... and let's face it, what a bunch of evil, disgusting bullies those big bad Bruins are for bashing the Maple Losers every time in game 7 and booting them from the play-offs!! After all, they should have just left them alone and let the Loafs win, right?! (...sorry Leafs fans, but you guys are still the joke of the league, especially after the zamboni driver "incident"!lol :P )
And of course, no NFL team ever looks ahead and relishes the chance to grab an easier game vs. say, the Jags or the Brownies! (...and yes, I know the Browns are in the play-offs this year, but they still suck and only skated through because of their weak-sauce schedule + the Steelers sat literally their entire starting roster in their final game!)
No MLB team has a fun time vs. Baltimore, or derides their sorry-sack team as 'baseball's avian flu' due to their roster being a bunch of no-name, under-talented minor leaguers... (note: we can insert the Blue Jays here too, because, well yes, we suck again!lol)

In chess or bridge, the idea of a ranked player playing against a beginner is just not done, bordering on the abhorrent unless for teaching purposes.
...unless it's you know, an actual competition and the so-called beginner decides to go and play in the big boys pond.
Or should the ranked player just give up and conceede the match so as not to hurt anyone's feelings?

Premier league clubs do not relish the games against conference league teams as it poses no real challenge, and is viewed more as training.
...and what happens when the lower league club advances up into the Premier Leagues, even if the newly minted team is still complete trash? Oh right, they still compete and get their backsides handed to them, because the whole premise of "mercy rules" is only for 4-6yr olds who are still just learning the basics of 'insert sport here'.

In society the strong, bigger, older person beating up the smaller, weaker, younger persons is by definition bullying. Hence we have laws and a moral code against it.
And in those same societies, the smaller, weaker, younger person also gets charged with a crime when they kick the bigger, stronger, older person in the back and/or bully them on-line or say, in the school yard.
I mean, it's almost as if moral codes cut both ways, and personal responsibility is an actual thing. :P

Any Empire

Sergeant
You've presented several issues, which are loosely related but not the same.

This was about the defensive A! and how it unfairly targets rogues 1st

"Unfair" is an opinion. The fact that the AI targets rogues and operates with the equivalent of a single digit IQ are game features. Each person is free to decide how to manage those, and any other game features (e.g. some trade, some fight, some do events, some don't, etc, and that leads to major differences in GBs pursued, fight/trade strategies, even what guild they'll join.

Defences are all well and good but it is the defensive AI that determines how your defensive units behave. To have it making your units defend in such a sub par manner seems ridiculous when there are blatantly better AI systems at work elsewhere in the game.

For me, there is already too much the same in FoE, so getting rid of differences in how AIs work would make the game even more predictable and, for me, less challenging and less fun. Overall, there's more I like in Foe than not, so I keep playing, The day that changes, I'll stop. Pretty simple choice, really.

If something is wrong it doesn't matter that it is wrong for everyone, it should be put right.

'Wrong" is another opinion, not an objective fact. You don't like a game feature that I and some others find tolerable, or possibly even useful. That’s a difference in opinion, not an issue of right and wrong.

If you can't find compelling arguments that succeed in changing the views of others on this forum, which is the bare minimum to get Inno to even consider making a change, then options are largely limited to enjoying a game that has some features you don’t like, or find another game that offers more of what you do like. It is fully your choice to play, or not.

Any Empire

Sergeant
And before you say he should put up his defensive army or that he should build a defensive GB and have it levelled up to level 10 or more when he hasn't even had time to get the BP's for it....please take a moment to just think! Plus not all players play 24/7 or have the time to repeatedly collect the instant something is produced...the real world has other demands on our time.

Casual players, and I'm one, or players who advance too quickly. should expect that they will achieve less and advance more slowly.

And the angst about getting plundering is just silly. Even if you aim to play 24/7, inevitably there will be days where RL means you'll delay or skip a collection. You lose more goods/FPs in even one day of non-collection than you’ll lose in months of being plundered.

What matters is not the few Fps or supplies you lose, but how well you manage what you have. This forum, the various wikis, and many other FoE references provide plenty of clues. You want to help your guildies? Point them to this forum and those resources, so that they can get practical, time-tested advice on how to reduce being plundered; i.e. help them learn how to play the game better.

PeePee Pleb

Lieutenant
Let me tell you something that happened to me couple of days ago. I wasn't paying attention to the time I collected and my Terrace Farm and both Flourishing Cider Mills, productions worth total of 26FPs, got plundered.
You know what my reaction was?
Well, I wasn't complaining about my resources being stolen and I attacked back (tho I didn't get the chance to plunder, but I don't care). If someone plunders me, no matter how strong he/she is that's my fault, not theirs, I send kudos to them for being able to pick the right time to visit my city and plunder me.

Groovy Prof

Corporal
You all keep missing the point!
This thread is not about if, whether, how, what, why you get plundered!
It's about the AI that is used for your defensive troops when attacked.

PeePee Pleb

Lieutenant
Yes, we are slightly missing the point, but let me just ask you one thing. How many times have you been attacked by an army consisting of Rogues and how many times have your defenses been breached? Just have one thing in mind, it isn't only about defebsive army AI, if you have defense consisting of Rogues mainly and attacker decides to auto-battle you, his units will also prioritize your Rogues.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
And you keep missing the FACT that if we *did* use the much harder main c-map AI, attacking & plundering would literally be all but removed from the game, especially for the lower to mid eras where it would be absolutely mandatory to fight everything manually. (due to the auto-battle AI also being rather stupid.:P)

You'd have a leg to stand on if the attacking/plundering mechanics in this game were actively detrimental to players who got hit.
As it is, plundering at most is barely an annoyance, and *IF* daily plundering is truly detrimental to one's city, then the only thing it means is that said city is complete crap and one should be figuring out how to actually improve it.