• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Defending in CA

Tut60

Private
I understand why

Since the attacker loses his dead troops and the defender's troops get replaced / revived, why not put max defense and kill some of the attacker unites ?

Knight of ICE

Since the attacker loses his dead troops and the defender's troops get replaced / revived, why not put max defense and kill some of the attacker unites ?

You can always do that, but there is not one "best combination". The best combination is determined by the units the attacker uses and since you can have multiple attackers that use different units there is no best combination. All there is, is a general combination that works best and again, that is determined by the units your attackers use.

In other words, there is no answer to your question.

Shad23

Emperor
for goods it's good for it's size was just saying don't count on galata to solve all your plundering problems as def is useless someone will always get through your def no mater how good your def is your best option is to work on your att % so you can do same as those who plunder you

DESYPETE

Lieutenant
What's the best troops combination for defending in CA
have a look what the attacker uses in his line up and plan a defense on that, but they will switch also if you manage to beat them so then you have to think what would they switch to and plan again, so you see there is no one size fits all in defenses, then of course you have the brain dead who hang around in low eras but making sure they have the higher era troops, which gives them an even bigger advantage, hence they are brain dead as they only prove they can not play the game without it, lol but anyone stick to spears and rob them of some points is about the best defense you can have lol

Burpo

Sergeant
I understand why

I'm with you Tut, I always like to take at least 1 attacker's troop with me.
I consider the battle a 'win' if I manage to make him replace his dead troop before his next battle.

Burpo

Sergeant
What's the best troops combination for defending in CA
I like dragoons best for defence because attackers normally use a combination of musketeers, grenadiers and field guns.
The dragoons cover the most ground in the fastest time.
But that means you cannot use any rogues since your dragoons will die before you reach the enemy.

Tut60

Private
I like dragoons best for defence because attackers normally use a combination of musketeers, grenadiers and field guns.
The dragoons cover the most ground in the fastest time.
But that means you cannot use any rogues since your dragoons will die before you reach the enemy.

So I shouldn't use dragons with Rogues ?
Is this in Def only or does it also applies to Att ?

Tut60

Private
I would not use dragoons with rogues.
I would also not use dragoons for attack - grenadiers and rogues are much better.

I used Dragons with Rogues among others when Att a 2 diversifid wave army with defending Arteillery in 2nd wave

Will the grenadiers fair better in this case ?

Burpo

Sergeant
I used Dragons with Rogues among others when Att a 2 diversifid wave army with defending Arteillery in 2nd wave

Will the grenadiers fair better in this case ?
No - dragoons are great when you know artillery is the defence.
Musketeers and rogues are a good attacking combination too.

Burpo

Sergeant
No - As Knight of Ice said above, there is no 'best' combination.
This is especially true at the lower ages.
You will just have to try all the different arrangements to see what works best against which defence.
That is what the game is all about - there would be no point if you could just pick one pattern and forget about all the rest.