• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Defending AI Behaviourial Patterns?

DeletedUser

I was wondering if anyone has studied the AI's behavioural patterns when defending your city.? I believe that if you have long range units the AI will try to use it's other units to protect them, that sort of thing. Any insights would be welcome.

DeletedUser

I once set 4 trebuchets and 4 knights to defend my city. The knights just clustered around the trebuchets instead of going out to attack the enemy, and they all got clobbered by attacking long range units.

I said "Well, not doing that any more..." and stopped using long range on defense.

DeletedUser10587

I think they do the same thing with SR too. I don't mix them any more, if I use ranged units that's all I use. Otherwise it's like Taeriyn says, the infantry or mounted units all gather around to "protect" the ranged units and get picked off anyway.

I could be wrong though, it's only happened thousands of times before ;)

DeletedUser

Thought i just post my recent result for reference

Had 4 Ballistic, 4 Mounted archers,
The enemy are mix of Soldier, Archer, Slinger and warrior
At first turn, the Mounted Archers charged and shoot on the soldier and archer on the first row.

Hope its helpful, in your deduction.

DeletedUser3157

More like:
1) Ranged units (anything without a range of one)
a) damaged
b) closest to attacker
c) farthest from attacker
2) Melee units
a) damaged
b) fastest OR closest to attacker
c) slowest OR farthest from attacker

This is correct and good place to start with to explain the logic of how AI targets units.

DeletedUser7137

AI long ranged units will also target, example if you use all of the same unit type, melee, the unit that have the 1st turn to move, or the next if the 1st is out of range.

DeletedUser

Is it me, or has the AI gotten smarter?

There appear to have been some changes to the AI... not sure if the basic rules have been changed or if its just that there are different rules for transformed rogues (as it's been transformed rogues which have behaved slightly differently for me - or it could be that they are the ones that survive the longest so I notice them most).

DeletedUser

I have seen small differences in expected actions from the AI lately. I assume their priorities have been tweaked a little since so many Industrial units are ranged.

For example, I have seen ranged AI units moving further up to take a shot at a Short Range unit, instead of taking the easy, expected shot at a Grenadier that was closer.

DeletedUser7719

I've also noticed the Jaeger Infantries fire from trees. Really smart tactic