• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Defeating Iron Age units with spearfight & slinger?

DeletedUser

I've read somewhere that one can stay with "spearfight+slinger" combo for quite some time, but I seem to do something wrong, my tactic definitely need "polishing" ;)

Could someone please give a tip on how to defeat 3 soldiers, 2 archers & 1 Legionnaire, or 3 soldiers & 3 Legionnaire with spearfighters & slingers ONLY?

DeletedUser5621

Hello,

Every unit tipe has got bonuses against another tipes. For example to kill soldiers and Legionnaires, use Horses, and Slingers.

DeletedUser

I can't seem to find a decent and comprehensive chart of bonuses that up to date, but regarding horses I thought that they die rather quickly. I wanted to skip horses for other buildings. 1-2 hits from soldiers & legionnaires are enough to kill it (hell, even spearfighters kill horses like flies). IMHO they are only useful for kamikaze missions to take out ranged units, but even then they might get shot and killed before they reach their target. Probably I'm missing something here? I tried to stay with my spearfighters on every bush/forest I could find, but they get killed anyway....

DeletedUser

The ULTIMATE GUIDE is now up again, so:

Soldier (light melee, bonus: fast +4)
Legionnaire (heavy melee, bonus: light melee +3)

Slinger (short range, bonus: heavy melee +3)
Horseman (fast, bonus: short range +3)

So, even though Slingers should hit Legionnaires harder, they can do this only if the Legionnaires are fighting some other units and are busy. The Horses have no bonuses against Soldiers/Legionnaiers, they'll just die quickly. They can't even get defensive bonuses on the field like Spearfighters.

Is there a special tactic behind this, Trys?

DeletedUser5621

Personally, I never use horses. To kill thoose units, use Slingers, and Spearfighters. The special tactic is, send them to bonus fields, like bushes, and trees, and hide your slingers behind the spearfighters. I think 4-4 is the good amount.

DeletedUser

Personally, I never use horses. To kill thoose units, use Slingers, and Spearfighters. The special tactic is, send them to bonus fields, like bushes, and trees, and hide your slingers behind the spearfighters. I think 4-4 is the good amount.

I tried this a couple of times already and even though my spearfighters were all on bushes/forest titles they got owned.... Hiding Slingers works only (AFAIK) if one manages to build a wall of spearfighters between two lakes e.g., otherwise they become easy targets for enemy solders - they just go around my spearfighters and take out my slingers...

DeletedUser5621

Another tactic:

Attack the Soldiers with Legionnaires, or warriors, and attack the Legionnaries with Slingers, or archers. Always try to stay way from the Legionnaries with the Slingers.

DeletedUser

Another tactic:

Attack the Soldiers with Legionnaires, or warriors, and attack the Legionnaries with Slingers, or archers. Always try to stay way from the Legionnaries with the Slingers.

Surely a good one, but as of now I don't have any Warriors, nor Legionnaires. My research is at the end of Bronze age. That was the reason for my question - I need some more battlepoints and even warriors are not an option right now.

DeletedUser5621

Hm....

But if your research is at the end of Bronze age, you should research Phalanx, which contains Warrior. And its good against Soldiers.

DeletedUser3157

You can just ignore all the bonus and whatever stats for now - FoE battle system is actually all about not getting hit. Or if you absolutely will get hit(can't escape), choose a non-shooter as the target so he would at least retaliate. Basicially what you do is close in on your targets with your shooters on positions where minimal amount of thier troops is able to reach any of your shooters. On ideal you manage to kill off all those troops who were previously able to reach/shoot you and repeat it next round or 2. Once you master this strategy(and it will get much easyer once you get long range to deal with enemy shooters and archers who have better range) you can easly attack all your nabers every day taking very minimal overall losses.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Nice one, hint! Thank you! I'll try just that, let's see how it works out.

Trys Asgon, I agree, thanks for the tip. Warriors are the preferred new melee unit IMHO, and I thought building 2 Warrior Barracks would be a good idea, don't you think? Or what amount of Barracks is usually enough for fighting on a regular basis?

DeletedUser5621

I started to play yesterday, so far, I made wikis, and guides, so if you need any help, or you have got any questions, feelfree to ask.

But the best tactic is buying 100k diamonds, and negotiate with the territories :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

...it will get much easier once you get long range to deal with enemy shooters and archers who have better range...

What long range unit are you thinking here of? The Stone Thrower of the Bronze Age is so weak I hardly think it can do much harm to any unit before it get's destroyed. Even with it's heavy melee +2 (good vs Legionaiers & Warriors at that age), +5 maximum attack is quite weak, considering the defensive values of the aforementioned units. And +3 attack won't bring a spearfighter down also, who can hide in forest/bushes and will reach the ST in 2 turns. Ain't I right?

DeletedUser3157

Nice one, hint! Thank you! I'll try just that, let's see how it works out.

Trys Asgon, I agree, thanks for the tip. Warriors are the preferred new melee unit IMHO, and I thought building 2 Warrior Barracks would be a good idea, don't you think? Or what amount of Barracks is usually enough for fighting on a regular basis?

I would recommend spearmen for your melee unit for now. They are much faster than warriors so you get a lot more options with them, but they are not really that much weaker. Plus they are really cheap and can be trained very fast, so they are ideal to use with mix of slingers as "goat" units who take all the hits and keep enemy busy, while your slingers sit a bit further back and deal ranged damage staying unhit. Then when battle is over you can just replace those spearmen within minutes, because it takes 20 seconds to train a spearmen and 1h to train a warrior.

And once you can build stone throwers, you can just move them in instead - they are great taking out enemy shooters long before they ever get near enough to shoot.

DeletedUser

I would recommend spearmen for your melee unit for now.

If I manage to succeed with your tactic, I guess you're right. I was just excited to try a new unit out, bit waiting 4h for another chance (if all units get killed) is a long time. Considering that Real-Life also needs some attention, :rolleyes: it can lead to only a few attacks per day.

And once you can build stone throwers, you can just move them in instead - they are great taking out enemy shooters long before they ever get near enough to shoot.

So, you do recommend ST instead of Slingers after all? Even though they have such a weak attack? How many ST's would suffice then for a regular fight?

DeletedUser5621

I'm now making the tasks goide at hungarian Forge of Empires, and one ofour embers suggested to give me infinite diamonds, and resources xDDDDD

DeletedUser

I just had a nice battle, hint. It took me way more time, than my usual battles, but it was fun! :cool:
After two careful retreats my slingers finally took up their position between two lakes, guarded by my trustworthy spearfighters, who skillfully dodged enemies' attacks resulting of only two casualties among the latter. My 3 slingers and 5 spearfighters were standing against 7 spearfighters and one slinger.

The AI is still dumber, than the average human, but it plays carefully at times, not rushing forward all the way like mad. Never let your guard down folks! ;)

DeletedUser3157

So, you do recommend ST instead of Slingers after all? Even though they have such a weak attack? How many ST's would suffice then for a regular fight?

No i meant STs to replace spearmen. I think I would fight with something like 4/4 or 6/2 mix of slingers/spearmen, then upgrade it to prolly 6 slingers 2 STs. Then upgrade slingers to archers and keep increasing the number of long range with every next upgrade since they improve a lot. By LMA I almost enterly use trebs in PvPs(HMA long range) since 2 shots of them is enought to kill pretty much any iron or below age troop. For map you know what you fight tho, so you take either more long range(STs) if enemy has more shooters(both long and short range) or you can take down to none if enemy has no shooters. Their attack is low yes, but shooters defense is so low too, that 2 shots by your ST kills slinger, archer and any long unit enemy might have. Against melee they are more useless though, usually best for finishing off troops which are down to only few health bars etc. Odd man out can be very heavy horses army - in such occasion you are almost quaranteed to be reached, so you want some non-shooting units in the mix to be the ones which get hit, because shooters do not retalite when hit and almost insta die.

DeletedUser

No i meant STs to replace spearmen....

Excellent, hint! That's just the most valuable hint ;) for a starter who has no clear idea on what's coming up next, but strives for a plan of action. Since this is my first attempt at FoE it's hard to evaluate how battle will evolve with ages. Now, that's a good basis one can build upon.