• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

New Content Cultural Settlements

• Thread starter DeletedUser4727
  • Start date

DeletedUser117610

Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes.. the recent adjustment to the stone fragments didn’t go far enough. Having completed one settlement I received 9 (6 + 2 + 1) fragments. The adjustment gifted me 3 more, making 12 total. However, with the new structure the reward should have been 15 (9 + 4 + 2) which is enough to complete a runestone. So while it’s nice to have been gifted 3 fragments, the amount should have been 6.

The difference for me is between having a runestone, and having none. And as I’m on track to get 15 fragments for the second settlement, the 12 fragments from the first settlement will just sit there until some time when I fail to get the top prize. Who knows maybe that’s useful, but maybe not?

For players that have done a lot of settlements, I understand that it would be very difficult to determine the shortfall. However if you did a matrix of possibilities you’d see that for just a few settlements you’d be able to identify almost all combinations of reward and could have adjusted properly. This would have been a little extra work but it would have avoided a situation where players like myself have insufficient funds to complete a runestone (or the next runestone).

I somehow doubt anything will be done about this but I do wish you’d given more thought to the compensation adjustment and wanted to provide that feedback for future consideration.

Agent327

Overlord
I somehow doubt anything will be done about this but I do wish you’d given more thought to the compensation adjustment and wanted to provide that feedback for future consideration.

They did and explained why. All you had to do is read this thread and you know why, but why should you. Right?

DeletedUser117610

FWIW I had read all 18 pages of this thread before posting and read it again after the feedback. To help the next person; unless I missed it, the answer is not in this thread but rather it’s in the patch notes here https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/update-to-1-154.37754/. And the answer isn’t an answer at all, it’s just a statement that it wasn’t “feasible”.

So I stand by my comment that I wish more effort had been made. It’s not a big deal I just wanted to give some feedback. Moving on..

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
FWIW I had read all 18 pages of this thread before posting and read it again after the feedback. To help the next person; unless I missed it, the answer is not in this thread but rather it’s in the patch notes here https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/update-to-1-154.37754/. And the answer isn’t an answer at all, it’s just a statement that it wasn’t “feasible”.

So I stand by my comment that I wish more effort had been made. It’s not a big deal I just wanted to give some feedback. Moving on..
As someone who's been heavily procrastinating on doing the settlements, I think a better way to look at things is;
1. Yes, because I may only have completed 4 settlements before the update/rebalancing, I'll now end up with an odd number of fragments just sitting forever in my inventory.
But then, I was *always going to have this anyways when trying for a single lv5 Runestone, since the initial format required 9x finished settlements w/gold reward (=81 total fragments, but only need 75 for Lv.5 building)

2. I now come out overall ahead though, since now a player needs to only complete a max of 5-6 settlements within the shortest timeframe to earn the Lv5 Runestone!

So while I'll still have some useless fragments forever kicking around, I now only need to torture myself with 1 more 'speed run' settlement, and then I can sit back and take a breather for the final 7 to finish off the Lv9 Yggy Tree. :)

...and
...there's some interesting info in the 'Spoilers' section on the beta forums that are hinting at a possible way for us to trade/sell 'useless' items in the future in a kind of 'items market'!

Agent327

Overlord
Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes.. the recent adjustment to the stone fragments didn’t go far enough. Having completed one settlement I received 9 (6 + 2 + 1) fragments. The adjustment gifted me 3 more, making 12 total. However, with the new structure the reward should have been 15 (9 + 4 + 2) which is enough to complete a runestone. So while it’s nice to have been gifted 3 fragments, the amount should have been 6.

The difference for me is between having a runestone, and having none. And as I’m on track to get 15 fragments for the second settlement, the 12 fragments from the first settlement will just sit there until some time when I fail to get the top prize. Who knows maybe that’s useful, but maybe not?

For players that have done a lot of settlements, I understand that it would be very difficult to determine the shortfall. However if you did a matrix of possibilities you’d see that for just a few settlements you’d be able to identify almost all combinations of reward and could have adjusted properly. This would have been a little extra work but it would have avoided a situation where players like myself have insufficient funds to complete a runestone (or the next runestone).

This has nothing to do with the time you have, but all with the time you are willing to spend. Some want "easy buttons" for everything. Why do it yourself when others can do it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser96901

finished my 18th settlement
first with the new last quest

13 hours remaining

only need 6 more fragments to finish the 3rd greater runestone
so I could make it slow and finish my 19th settlement in the 2nd time frame

Dragonhost

Private
I've just received my second viking emissary but it requires 800 diamonds to unlock a slot in the town hall which I have absolutely no intention of paying. Is every new emissary going to need 800 diamonds to unlock a town hall slot? If so, I can't see the point of doing the viking settlements other than to get the yddrasil updates every second (?) completed settlement. It seems a long and, frankly boring, way of getting a better tree and not much else and takes time / coins /supplies away from the main game. Sorry if the answer may have been given elsewhere but I haven't found it yet (but not read everything!).

joesoap

Major-General
I've just received my second viking emissary but it requires 800 diamonds to unlock a slot in the town hall which I have absolutely no intention of paying. Is every new emissary going to need 800 diamonds to unlock a town hall slot? If so, I can't see the point of doing the viking settlements other than to get the yddrasil updates every second (?) completed settlement. It seems a long and, frankly boring, way of getting a better tree and not much else and takes time / coins /supplies away from the main game. Sorry if the answer may have been given elsewhere but I haven't found it yet (but not read everything!).
when you finish settlements 7 & 13 you get an extra free slot

DeletedUser653

Yes 7 and 13, would have been much better to actually tell us this up front as i decided not to do the settlements afterr the first once i saw that 800 diamond cost. Inno when will you learn to stop hiding things from us?

SilverFoxes

Master Corporal
There's a helpful little explanation in the mouse-over though ;)

Id495jN.jpg

DeletedUser

Firstly; a quick belated "Thankyou" to Inno for the extra Fragments, very much appreciated.
Dragonhost; all the information we need IS in easily accessible places if only you look as per SilverFoxes very helpful pointer, everyone else seems to have looked behind the ? Box.
Finally; I have found the Settlement quicker to complete post changes, as has one of my Guildies who has not completed in time prior to said changes.
{When I say "in time", I of course, refer to those of us who actually want the Runestones.}
Win/win all round, nice one Peeps.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Firstly; a quick belated "Thankyou" to Inno for the extra Fragments, very much appreciated.
Dragonhost; all the information we need IS in easily accessible places if only you look as per SilverFoxes very helpful pointer, everyone else seems to have looked behind the ? Box.
Finally; I have found the Settlement quicker to complete post changes, as has one of my Guildies who has not completed in time prior to said changes.
{When I say "in time", I of course, refer to those of us who actually want the Runestones.}
Win/win all round, nice one Peeps.
It's slightly faster at the tail end thanks to Inno reducing the 8hr build times down to 4hrs, which is a very good buff to the overall playability of the Vikings.

However, the balance between copper production and the cost of goods is still beyond horrific... (ie: if you can't make 1hr collections, then don't bother trying for the 'gold' level timed reward)
Hell, even just shaving 250 copper off the cost of every 4hrs worth of goods production would greatly ease the need to stay chained to the settlement.
OR
Add in the Merchant from the upcoming Japan settlement to the Vikings

DeletedUser

None of us can do a thing about the costs, that's just how it is. The reduced times do help, as you said and I try to further ease the pain by delaying Q1, Q2 and Q4 initially to concentrate on placing Exps then fill up on Pop and Shrines early on to build Copper stocks. Later on I do the same to expand the footprint so I can earn more. We all get hit with 5 min production runs for DCs and Qs in the main Game so I treat the Settlements the same and batter the Hell out of lots of Shrines. Likewise during GE sessions, I set for 15 mins and alternate between Battles. Timing and perseverance TC, yes it is a pain but the rewards are there. If it's all too much bother then that's that, the Devs don't want it to be quick and easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
They could always rebalance it for the greater benefit of newer players and with the idea of even more new players down the road, but as we know all to well, Inno is lazy as gak! ;)

Talking with some of the beta players, it actually gets to the point by the 14th/15th settlements that you rely entirely on the 4x goods pay-outs, simply due to the challenge of producing enough copper -> goods in time.
While I don't agree at all with the whines to reduce the overall amount of goods needed for the Vikings research, Inno should slightly rebalance the copper requirements so that the later play-throughs especially can be 'enjoyable' vs. '24/7 most boring job from hell'. :P

I'm lucky in that I have the time to devote to running plenty of 5min/15min and later on, 1hr copper runs... and being "re-run season" on TV now, it means if I choose to, I have all night to delete my goods & replace with a field of shrines for 5min festivities.
However, that doesn't make the settlement 'fun' to play, just annoying as gak! (good thing I can sit back and read a book at the same time!)

DeletedUser

I fully agree that it could be improved by a rebalance and think the current demands are off-putting, especially to Noobs and Players with poorly balanced Cities. Also, I too believe that without the 4x multiplier it would be almost, if not totally impossible to complete within the allotted time.
Hopefully, Japan and Egypt will benefit from the experience gained by the Devs in the Viking Settlements which, do seem to me to have been something of a trial run and us all the Beta Testers. I try to make the best of the extant conditions and put a positive spin on it, working within the constraints to find the best work-arounds that I can.
The Impediments bug the Hell out of me as I have had a couple of runs where most of the existing squares and available Expansions were liberally infected with the little blighters, my current one being the third so badly affected.
From what you write, it seems that we do in fact have a similar approach to the Settlements, they can be a pain but WTH we do them anyway, ha ha.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Honestly I absolutely LOVE the impediments!:D
Sure you can get utterly gakked on at the start, but that's half the challenge. Honestly without them, the Vikings would just be dull as feth.

What I actually find to be the most aggravating/frustrating thing for me, is when I see that I'll need roughly equal amounts of each good to research the tech tree...
Personally I find a settlement run goes a lot smoother when I need only 50-80 or so of one or two goods vs. needing at least 150-200 of each. (the absolute *worst* being if I need at least 150+ wool, 'cause those things are a PITA to fit into the city!)

My 'basic plan' is to go with 2 axe/3 mead/2 horn/3 wool expansions for space...
I race to unlock my initial 5 expansions & Huts ASAP, which gives me a 3x3 grid of expansions, then run 3 factories + 6-7 shrines depending on how the impediments impact things.
Then race to unlock horns -> wool, at which point I can sit back, take a breather and run 4-5 factories to finish out the rest of the goods to complete the remaining tech tree, and then finish out the quest line & collect my gak so I can start it all over again.

I'm only chasing after 1 fully evolved Greater Runestone anyways, and now that I have it, I'm not really too hyper about finishing within the gold timer anymore. :)