• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Crafting

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Proposal: A new feature that would give players the ability to turn old junk into new & usable items for our cities.

Reason: Most players after even just a few months of playing, end up with inventories full of various buildings & items that will never, ever see use in their cities...
Instead of having 30-40+ pages of junk, there should be a way to turn old trash into new treasures. :)

Details:
1. a new building is added next to the Friends Tavern called the 'Academy of Arts' or something similar.
When opened, there are 2 new tabs to choose from:
a) Disassemble
b) Crafting Forge
Clicking on the 'Disassemble' tab brings up the inventory menu, but now every item has a new bar underneath it that read "+X", where X denotes the number of 'Components' and item can be recycled into... the more powerful the item in general, the more components it yields.
Once you have some components, then clicking on the 'Crafting Forge' tab bring up a menu of 5 randomly generated items that can now be crafted using a set amount of components. The items that are available to craft will reset every 12hrs, giving players a total of 10 choices to choose from everyday.
The better the crafted item, the more components that will be required to craft/forge it.
Each item takes a specific amount of time to craft, with better items obviously taking much longer times to complete.
Once an item is completed, it can then be collected by simply clicking on the Academy of Arts.
A completed item also generates a number of 'Artifacts'. Once enough artifacts are collected, they will unlock the special 'Historical Archive' chest, which will contain extremely powerful rewards that can be won!

Balance:
Inno can control the balance by making really good items like Lv1 buildings from previous events & certain upgrade kits relegated to the special 'Historical Archive' chest.
Thus if it takes say on average of roughly 7-8 days for an active, daily player to gain enough artifacts to open the Archive chest, that will limit to only 50'ish or so per year. On top of adding a random prize pool, which would further reduce the ability of players to simply use this new feature as a 'work around' vs. actively playing in the main events.

Abuse Prevention:
Only 1 item can be crafted per day. And/or give the better items 36-48hr+ crafting times and again, put hugely expensive diamond costs to simply auto-complete.

Summery:
Yes, this is simply porting in Elvenar's new similar feature to FoE!
BUT!
It is a fun new feature, and best of all, it gives players the ability to de-clutter their inventories without just throwing all the useless junk into an empty black hole of nothingness!
The majority of the time, the options up for crafting would be things like time-reduction instants (and introduce better ones like 8hr & 12hr time instants - very helpful for events!), fps, bp's, event decos, lesser event buildings (ie: Haunted House, Scarecrow, Well of Welcome, etc...), Watchfires/Victory Towers, etc...
Of course, there would also be some nice 'uncommon' options like Cider Mill & Graveyard upgrade kits, Watchfire & Victory Tower upgrade kits, Obs bp's, etc...
The 'rare' options could include things like the Cherry Garden Selection kits & Maharaja's Palace/Elephant Garden set pieces.
Finally, the 'best' items such as Lv1 Ships or Tholos of Idols + their relevant upgrade kits would be relegated to the special 'Archive' prize chest that is unlocked by collecting artifacts from finished crafts.

While some players would very likely just ignore this new feature, it would definitely be quite handy & useful to a good majority of players, while also putting the inventory to use besides just an "I'll never use that" dust collection. :)

DeletedUser113110

EDIT: My vote is now -1.
Based on the arguments below, I am now against this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galladhorn

Monarch
Hi Thomas, sorry but did you check for similar ideas proposed, becase there has been a few.

Quote: "it gives players the ability to de-clutter their inventories without just throwing all the useless junk into an empty black hole of nothingness!".

...yep Useless Junk – part of the current way to play FoE is to rid the city from outdated items and thereby change and continue to develop the city.
What remains useless in the Inventory can simply just be deleted with no further due – there is plenty of ways to win more stuff throghout the year; all the Events, Dayli quests not to mention GE.

Now I am not going to diss your idea just like that, but it appears a bit complex so perhaps it would be helpful to create a few visuals, and I do not mean designs (though can be helpful), but perhaps some schematics – or perhaps take some screenshots from Elvenar to show how it works there.

Overall I must admit to have given -1 to all ideas of reusing Inventory items so far, because it is just useless junk, that people hang on to even if they never going to need it ever again – in other words Collectionism for things that really does not have any value since FoE is game.

We can just fact check and say the FoE has changed in that way the players get more Wins than ever (because that is apprently what "we" like) but we do not have enough space to place all the stuff, so we have to make choices accordingly to how each player plays. FoE has always had the space incentive for spurring players to use some Diamonds on the game and thereby fund InnoGames. Essentially nothing has changed except we have more stuff in the inventory - By the way the Inventory was a feature asked for for a long period of time and now we have it.

Emberguard

Legend
By the way the Inventory was a feature asked for for a long period of time and now we have it.
Well that's nice to know. I've spent more money on stuff for the inventory so I'll have it for when I age up then what's actually in my city xD

--- --- --- --- --- ---​

Would there be a limitation on what kind of stuff can be recycled [for this proposal]? Currently as is you can already recycle anything in your inventory that would normally cost supplies/coins by placing in your city and deleting (returns 1/3rd of cost).

We also have the DC that gives random stuff daily. You mentioned you got Elevnar as inspiration, do they have anything equivalent to DC at all? Or do they only have the crafting idea you're proposing?

If it did become a thing I'd expect Fragments to be available through this.

DeletedUser113901

Or the recycling process must be extremely unproductive. Like you would recycle a victory tower that would cost 15 A-parts and 5 C-parts to get 1 random part, and the SoK could cost 1000 B-parts (and give 50 random parts).

Vesiger

Monarch
My main current complaint is that it is so very laborious to delete the obsolete stuff from inventory. (On mobile, scroll down to very bottom of display to see lowest-ranked stuff - six or seven repeated swipes. Delete one private security company out of six. Inventory display zooms back to top. Scroll all the way back to where you were fifteen seconds earlier. Delete another duplicate. Groan and abandon spring-cleaning for yet another day. . )

Why clean it out? What harm does it do?

Besides, one day I might decide that what I really need is a ceramics factory a lo and behold, there's one in my inventory from a few years ago :)

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Well that's nice to know. I've spent more money on stuff for the inventory so I'll have it for when I age up then what's actually in my city xD

--- --- --- --- --- ---​

Would there be a limitation on what kind of stuff can be recycled [for this proposal]? Currently as is you can already recycle anything in your inventory that would normally cost supplies/coins by placing in your city and deleting (returns 1/3rd of cost).

We also have the DC that gives random stuff daily. You mentioned you got Elevnar as inspiration, do they have anything equivalent to DC at all? Or do they only have the crafting idea you're proposing?

If it did become a thing I'd expect Fragments to be available through this.
Elvenar doesn't have any DC equivalent, but their GE equivalent gives a stupid amount of various instants & spells every single week that are used to fuel crafting...
While some items, (namely the unique event buildings that are typically 'one time only' winnable items), will give large amounts of components, (called fragments in Elvenar), most 'basic' items, which would be for us things like basic buildings, VT's, Watchfires/Ritual Lames, etc..., give a bare handful of components. (ie: 1 - 25/35 or so)

But yes, the idea is that you have to break down multiple items, sometimes dozens or more, to gain enough components to forge 1 'new' item.
And the better items typically require 1000 - 1500+ fragments!
(note: Elvenar's version, being fantasy-based also includes the need to fabricate additional spells, which an FoE version would simply replace by simply increasing the ratio of breaking old stuff down into components vs. the cost to forge new items)

Anything in the inventory besides goods & bp's would be available to break down into components. (ie: anything that's an actual item or building)
To keep things balanced, taking any 'basic' residential building for example and breaking into components would yield just 2 components. (perhaps 3 or 4 if it was a premium). If a player wanted to gain a large amount of components quickly, then they'd either have to sacrifice the better items like SoK's/shrink kits/'Lv X' buildings/TF's, etc...

As for the actual crafting, even the most 'basic' recipes of items to craft would require at least 100-140+ components, while the better items (say, a cider mill upgrade), would cost well over 1500+ components to craft!

It's a system that's been an instant smash hit for that "other" game, and was in part founded on the same idea of wanting a way to put inventory items that will never see use to an actual practical use! ;)
(oh, and because a certain building was beyond a waste of space, but that has no baring on porting this concept to FoE)

Outside of spending a massive horde of diamonds, you can't use it to insta-power your city, but over time, it could become a good way to gain a few little extras per year, and maybe to complete the final level or two on an big event building like the PoH's or Tholos, etc...