• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Competition ideas and suggestions

DeletedUser

Following the August epic empires competition, I decided to add a thread here so as a community you can offer your feedback and also suggest other ideas.

I am aware this competition is similar to the old one, but in truth we just wanted to get you a competition in place, but these are for you guys and should be competitions you enjoy. So for that reason we would like to hear any suggestions you might have for future competitions, to either accompany, or replace the Epic Empires.

I realise the August one did not go as well as planned at all :( all I ask is please post constructive suggestions and feedback :)

I have edited to september thread in the hope of making it a little more clear, but any suggestions are welcome as always, but definitely we want to hear any ideas you might have for future competitions, these would ideally run monthly and would offer the winner a diamond reward.

And finally, sorry for any players who did feel unhappy with last months competition, hopefully we can now improve this moving forward with your help :D

DeletedUser65431

Thought the original format of Epic Empires had a lot of potential. Obviously method of judging requires further consideration. Improvement would be to show only the winning pictures in a separate thread updated monthly. In time an impressive collection of 'Epic Empires' would be easily available to view.

If you think a short story competition is a good idea and there is demand then create one. Same applies to a literary and visual crossover competition.

DeletedUser65431

Obviously method of judging requires further consideration.

Do you have any suggestions?

Maybe include the winner from the previous month in the process, alongside one moderator and one community manager. With two of the three required to be in agreement. Judges to be reminded of competition guidelines in advance and expected to provide explanation for their decision.

DeletedUser

Maybe include the winner from the previous month in the process, alongside one moderator and one community manager. With two of the three required to be in agreement. Judges to be reminded of competition guidelines in advance and expected to provide explanation for their decision.

Some valid suggestions here. However, I believe excluding players and moderators was deemed to be the most unbiased method of judging the entries... But we'll see what other people have to say.

...alongside one moderator and one community manager
There's only one Community Manager :cool:

DeletedUser99445

This is not what we'd hoped to discuss :facepalm: ;)

If the August Comp had not been turned into such a farce then this would all have been avoided.
Personally, I need someone to do something to restore some faith as no one has bothered to address the mistake made and instead have altered the criteria in some ridiculous attempt to cover up the farce of the previous competition.
The Previous Criteria was Spot On as we all wanted it to be. It's the winning entry that was off.
We LIKED! Awe Inspiring etc etc.
The competition was itself flawless but sadly the judge/ judges let all the entrants down. An intelligent Judgement was required with the Judge writing the Short Story explaining the decision and NOT the entrant writing the explanation for the Judge.
It looks even worse then when no one will admit it was a farce and instead offers more flawed arguments trying to prop up the decision.
If the audience is displeased then the performance was likely poor.

DeletedUser5180

As a player who was critical of the August epic empire competition I wish to apologise, my thoughts were posted on the relevant thread so won't go into that again.

I'd like to see that competition continue, I think the diamond prize is secondary to the winner, the fact their city has been acknowledged here on the forum would come first in most players eyes.......

With that in mind, how about having different categories based on age / era of the city. Perhaps if players know they will be judged along with other cities of their age / era far more players would enter.

The winner of each category would then be judged against each other with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize, maybe 750, 500 and 250 diamonds.....a few more diamonds overall but a far more interesting competition.?

DeletedUser99445

As a player who was critical of the August epic empire competition I wish to apologise, my thoughts were posted on the relevant thread so won't go into that again.

I'd like to see that competition continue, I think the diamond prize is secondary to the winner, the fact their city has been acknowledged here on the forum would come first in most players eyes.......

With that in mind, how about having different categories based on age / era of the city. Perhaps if players know they will be judged along with other cities of their age / era far more players would enter.

The winner of each category would then be judged against each other with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize, maybe 750, 500 and 250 diamonds.....a few more diamonds overall but a far more interesting competition.?

I care nothing about the diamonds. They aren't even worth discussing. The competition is continuing but now with adjusted criteria to support last months decision so the competition is different. If you have an awe inspiring, magnificent example of what can be achieved then "Don't" bother entering as that is not what the judges are looking for.
However, if you have a city that isn't functional but has pretty flowers, shrubs and trees with some bits and pieces of architecture then Enter ASAP.
I'm still annoyed because when a Mod or Mod type person makes a decision in the Forum, Our Forum. It never seems to matter if the decision is right or wrong. So any wrong decisions are never addressed or corrected. An alteration to accommodate the mistake is made instead or we are told off like naughty children and silenced by mail or posts edited/deleted.

ddevil

Chief Warrant Officer
I care nothing about the diamonds. They aren't even worth discussing. The competition is continuing but now with adjusted criteria to support last months decision so the competition is different. If you have an awe inspiring, magnificent example of what can be achieved then "Don't" bother entering as that is not what the judges are looking for.
However, if you have a city that isn't functional but has pretty flowers, shrubs and trees with some bits and pieces of architecture then Enter ASAP.
I'm still annoyed because when a Mod or Mod type person makes a decision in the Forum, Our Forum. It never seems to matter if the decision is right or wrong. So any wrong decisions are never addressed or corrected. An alteration to accommodate the mistake is made instead or we are told off like naughty children and silenced by mail or posts edited/deleted.

Well just a small correction ...My city which was entered in that competition is functional for the age I m in ... I really dont know why would u say its not functional ...its not all pretty flowers shrubs and trees as you seem to accuse though i do have those for it to look good ... I do have all the essential buildings in it and all of them are connected by the road... I am making progress with that city as i had submitted and to the best of my knowledge for the age i m in its a fully functional city .... I produce goods ... I produce supplies I produce coins ... I do have the military barracks if i need to do some battles ... so in what sense its not a functional city I would like to know ?? Is it becoz it does not have the huge GBs in it ?? Of course it will not have those bcoz I have just started playing on that world ... Now if u guys feel a just started bronze age city is not worth winning against a ME /PME /GB filled city then then thats a different argument altogether...but please do not blindly accuse saying that the submitted city as non-functional city without even seeing it properly...

thank you

regards

ddevil

Last edited:

DeletedUser99588

Although I think last months entrants deserve an apology for the unusual judgement against the competition criteria or at least a detailed explanation to how/why the winner was chosen. I do not believe it will happen as there is an underlying issue with the powers that be that starts with the developers and works its way down through the ranks. It appears to be the company culture to never or rarely admit to getting something wrong. Once they manage to admit a mistake then maybe we can look at addressing those mistakes and improving the game. The same appears to apply to the forum team although not necessarily every member of it.

I actually think for future months having a limited written explanation of why your city should be the winner is a good idea. Whether it explains how efficient it is or the reason for the layout it would help the judge look at the city in the same light as the entrant. In fact it would hep those cities that aren't pretty to state a case for winning by being able to explain it's positive attributes. The competition is a good idea and it's unfortunate that it has got of to a shaky start.

I actually applaud them for changing the September format as although a formal apology hasn't been made it at least takes on board that either the August competition requirements weren't presented correctly or the judgement wasn't carried out correctly to the criteria given. A silent apology if there is such a thing :)

The only other thing I would like to add is I was also disappointed that the other thread was closed without a satisfactory conclusion. It was very dismissive of those that had posted concerns.

DeletedUser99445

Well just a small correction ...My city which was entered in that competition is functional for the age I m in ... I really dont know why would u say its not functional ...its not all pretty flowers shrubs and trees as you seem to accuse though i do have those for it to look good ... I do have all the essential buildings in it and all of them are connected by the road... I am making progress with that city as i had submitted and to the best of my knowledge for the age i m in its a fully functional city .... I produce goods ... I produce supplies I produce coins ... I do have the military barracks if i need to do some battles ... so in what sense its not a functional city I would like to know ?? Is it becoz it does not have the huge GBs in it ?? Of course it will not have those bcoz I have just started playing on that world ... Now if u guys feel a just started bronze age city is not worth winning against a ME /PME /GB filled city then then thats a different argument altogether...but please do not blindly accuse saying that the submitted city as non-functional city without even seeing it properly...

thank you

regards

ddevil

Please read my post before replying.
I have not made any reference to your city. I have referred to the criteria of the competition being changed in September.
This is not about you. It is about the person or persons who judged the competition and how they have now changed things to cover up what we consider to be a mistake on their part. Not About You! It's about them.

ddevil

Chief Warrant Officer
I have not made any reference to your city. I have referred to the criteria of the competition being changed in September.
This is not about you. It is about the person or persons who judged the competition and how they have now changed things to cover up what we consider to be a mistake on their part. Not About You! It's about them.

Well then I m sorry if it was meant with the New competition criteria ... I lost interest in all of this the day I saw so many bad comments and arguments about my winning the competition ....and didn't really bothered to even check out the New competition ... I understand i was lucky to win it but I feel there's a limit to how far that discussion can go on ...Posts after posts thread after thread the same things are being said again and again ... This whole competition was supposed to be just for Fun ...not something that had to be taken as seriously as its been made now on the forum ... Anyways I actually never wanted to say anything about all this but couldnt hold back myself today and blurted out .... I am sorry for that ... no more comments from me on this ...

have fun

regards

ddevil

DeletedUser99445

Well then I m sorry if it was meant with the New competition criteria ... I lost interest in all of this the day I saw so many bad comments and arguments about my winning the competition ....and didn't really bothered to even check out the New competition ... I understand i was lucky to win it but I feel there's a limit to how far that discussion can go on ...Posts after posts thread after thread the same things are being said again and again ... This whole competition was supposed to be just for Fun ...not something that had to be taken as seriously as its been made now on the forum ... Anyways I actually never wanted to say anything about all this but couldnt hold back myself today and blurted out .... I am sorry for that ... no more comments from me on this ...

have fun

regards

ddevil

ddevil, none of the posts were ever intended to offend you but it has proven very difficult to prevent this from happening.

DeletedUser97349

So, to summarise: the competition as it was originally was not good enough. Now it has been changed to reflect feedback we are 'covering up'.

I respectfully request that you keep your posts constructive, as was the aim of this thread.

DeletedUser99588

I respectfully request that you keep your posts constructive, as was the aim of this thread.

To be fair if the other thread had not been so abruptly closed then this one may well have continued on a positive note. What is done is done and it seems the CM is above giving any explanation so probably best to move on. The new criteria is in place and hopefully future decisions will be based solely on it.

I would imagine the August competition has left a bad taste for all involved whichever way your opinion falls. The unfortunate consequence is that after much positive work the CM team have given the impression of being beyond reproach. I'm sure that wasn't the intention but failure to justify the decision leaves no other conclusion that it couldn't be legitimately justified to the competition criteria.

Fingers crossed to a successful September competition.