• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Colour combinations on the forum

DeletedUser100341

I'm not sure where this should be posted, but this tread brings it to mind. For those of us that are color challenged "color blind", please do not use colors that are not in strong contrast to the background color. I can hardly read some of the text in Jaskoo's post that has COLOR="#FF0000".

If one of the moderators could let me know where this advise should be posted.

DeletedUser

I'm not sure where this should be posted, but this tread brings it to mind. For those of us that are color challenged "color blind", please do not use colors that are not in strong contrast to the background color. I can hardly read some of the text in Jaskoo's post that has COLOR="#FF0000".

This is good general advice for the forum as I am aware that different colours can be problematic when used on the brown background. The COLOR="#FF0000" is a red colour that may not contrast well with brown, and I know that there are some other colours that also do not work terribly well. I think it would be a useful point to make for the guides section in particular, as this is the area where colours are most likely to be used.

Surge

Brigadier-General

I have determined that COLOR="#00FFFF" is the direct contrast of the forum's background color, if not a slightly lighter shade.

1FUO8cX.png

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I have determined that COLOR="#00FFFF" is the direct contrast of the forum's background color, if not a slightly lighter shade.

1FUO8cX.png

Slightly lighter might be better, as that particular shade is a bit 'bright'. (well, for me anyway)

Possibly more like COLOR="#AFEEEE" or COLOR="#ADD8E6"?

Surge

Brigadier-General
Slightly lighter might be better, as that particular shade is a bit 'bright'. (well, for me anyway)

Possibly more like COLOR="#AFEEEE" or COLOR="#ADD8E6"?

How did you manage to find those colors? The forum color selection doesn't seem to have them, even the "advanced window."

DeletedUser

How did you manage to find those colors? The forum color selection doesn't seem to have them, even the "advanced window."

That's exactly where I did find them. I don't think I have 'extra' colours as a mod, but this is the basic colour selection I get:

Forum colours.png

And this is the 'More Colours' link at the bottom:

Extra Forum Colours.png

As this discussion is more about colours and less about the guide itself, I'm going to move it to a new thread.

DeletedUser100341

1FUO8cX.png

@Surge, how did you get your screen to look like it does in the spoiler. The colors are totally opposite of my screen. If I could customize the way forum pages look perhaps I could overcome this color problem.

Surge

Brigadier-General
It's not a website feature. I simply used Print Screen to copy the entire screen as a picture, pasted the picture in Paint, and simply inverted the color. However, you can use functions provided with the basic operating system given on Windows 7 or on a Mac.

If you're using a Windows 7, you can invert colors by searching up the term "magnifier" in the search bar of the start button, opening the magnifier there, and simply pressing Ctrl+Alt+I. However, keep in mind that you can invert the color as long as the magnifier is open, or you could still see the magnifying glass on your monitor. If it's gone, you'll need to reopen the magnifier if you want to invert colors. You can just dump the magnifying glass in a corner if it bothers you. It's much simpler on a Mac: you simply press Control+Option+Command+8. You don't even need to search or open anything.

You might find something further on Google that might allow you to customize color inversion for specific websites. Those solutions invert the color of the entire computer (and can be undone).

Last edited:

DeletedUser100341

The following table is the basic Text Color dialog box. It should be obvious the colors with the most contrast with the background, lighter colors, would be the best to use for text.

BlackMaroonSaddle BrownDark Slate GrayTealNavyIndigoDark Gray
Fire BrickBrownGolden RodDark GreenTurquoiseMedium BluePurpleGray
RedDark OrangeGoldGreenCyanBlueVioletDim Gray
Light SalmonOrangeYellowLimePale TurquoiseLight BluePlumLight Grey
Lavender BlushAntique WhiteLight YellowHoneydewAzureAlice BlueLavenderWhite

I believe there are plenty of options to have different colored text and still be easily recognizable. The light shades (almost white), yellow or lime, orange, gray/teal/cyan. Might I suggest the following colors be used.

Teal
Golden RodTurquoiseGray
Dark OrangeGoldCyanVioletDim Gray
Light SalmonOrangeYellowLimePale TurquoiseLight BluePlumLight Grey
Lavender BlushAntique WhiteLight YellowHoneydewAzureAlice BlueLavenderWhite

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7719

Hey TheWizEd, I keep on forgetting to ask, but does highlighting over the text (like if you wanted to copy it) help?

DeletedUser

Hey TheWizEd, I keep on forgetting to ask, but does highlighting over the text (like if you wanted to copy it) help?

Just tried that on a guide with some red text in it, and it all shows as blue background and white text.

Another option would be to print screen and then do greyscale on the image followed by invert, instead of the invert option suggested above. I know that's not an option in paint, but there will be other image manipulation applications that can do that - probably photo ones as they allow you to do black and white or sepia photos.

Unit Guides greyscale.png

Further work on using white balance, selecting the area with the lighter text in, changing the contrast and then applying white balance to that area, resulted in this:

Unit Guides White Balance.png

The main point with all that is it's quite a lot of work, so it depends exactly what you want to achieve.

DeletedUser7719

Exactly, is white in blue easy enough for you to read when it comes to posts like that?

DeletedUser100341

Yes. I tried it with my color table above. If you hold the mouse and select the text it makes it white on a blue background. At least I think those are the colors.

At least its a quick and dirty solution.