• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Cold: Color coding for player names

Would you be in favor of color coding player names?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles Teg

Private
Proposal:
Player names should be color coded based on their relationship to the player
Edit: Point is to have quick and easy view into your relationship with the other players at the GB contribution screen

Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea:
Yes, haven't found it.

Reason:
Currently, the only way to identify if a player is in your guild is to find him in the global list and see to which guild he/she belongs.
We can see the guild info also in the contact list (bottom of the screen) when we hover over the players name but this is possible only for players in our neighborhood and/or friend list.
This is a problem when contributing forge points to great buildings because it is impossible to quickly see if the people who are contributing are in someone's guild or not. The hover thing doesn't work here! (it give only to option to jump to players city)

Details:
The solution is quite simple - color code the players names. Yellow remains for other players, white for players from your neighborhood, green for friends and blue for guild members.
This is important because most guilds have an unwritten rule of not competing for GB leveling rewards with other guild members. So this color coding would allow players to know against who are they investing FP's and competing for rewards.

Visual Aids:
Yellow name color - player has no connection to the player
White name color - players are in the same neighborhood
Green name color - players are in friend list
Blue name color - players are in the same guild

Balance/Abuse Prevention:
Ne balance/abuse problems perceived.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

This doesn't make sense to me. From which point of view are you looking from, your Friends' list or your Neighbours' list?
I take it you're looking from the Neighbours' list. In that case, you would only need Green and Blue. No idea why Yellow is suggested, as you only have Friends, Guild mates and Neighbours.

And wouldn't it be just easier to click on the Guild tab, to see if the player in your neighbourhood, is in your guild instead of searching the global ranking?

Last edited by a moderator:

Miles Teg

Private
This doesn't make sense to me. From which point of view are you looking from, your Friends' list or your Neighbours' list?
I take it you're looking from the Neighbours' list. In that case, you would only need Green and Blue. No idea why Yellow is suggested, as you only have Friends, Guild mates and Neighbours.

And wouldn't it be just easier to click on the Guild tab, to see if the player in your neighbourhood, is in your guild instead of searching the global ranking?

Point is to have quick and easy view into your relationship with the other players at the GB contribution screen.

If you see yellow names you can add FP's and push those players down the list without hesitation.
You see white or green - you pause and ask yourself whether you want to hurt them.
You see blue - you skip the contribution completely so not to hurt guild member.

And all this at a glance... without searching the global rankings or neighborhood/friends/guild lists...

DeletedUser

"Point is to have quick and easy view into your relationship with the other players at the GB contribution screen."

This should be your Proposal.

Not this

"Player names should be color coded based on their relationship to the player."

Then it will make more sense, and I will support it:)

Miles Teg

Private
why not just have the same icons after the player name as are used in the ranking list
houses, shield, people
(right justified in the field) , this would be consistent with the current interface style

I would be OK with that as long as we have a way to quickly know if we are sniping a friend or a foe. :D
The question is what would be easier to implement - color change of a text based on some (if-then) logic or adding an icon based on the same logic. I leave that part to professionals.

rjs66

Lieutenant
it is quite simple to see the exact status of the player if the system current,ly used in the ranking list is used
it will either display 0 icons , or 1 or 2 or all 3
you can see at a glance whether they are guild, friend, hood, some combination of 1,2 or 3 of those, or no icon=just another player

just look at the current ranking system

Last edited:

Jouchka

Private
I would love to add a color mark for every player, but rather a small dot or a coloured small shield .
But it only makes sense to me if you could assign the color yourself. I'm not interested to get a rainbow view on GBs. But I would like to give players of friendly guilds one color, hostile guild members another. Players I can beat in neighbourhood one color, players I cannot beat another color. etc...
This fixed color allocation doesn't make sense for me and doesn't give interesting information.

In the ranking screen you already have icons indicating the proposed categories. It would be logical to me to use the same icons in GB's rather than making it a ugly rainbow page.

Knight of ICE

This idea does not have enough Community support. Closed and archived.

Status
Not open for further replies.