• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

City Planner

DeletedUser

In an attempt to help those who have problem planning their cities, I created this file that should be a handy tool. The file is in PPT format (2003); all you have to do is copy, paste many times, drag and arrange stuff.

View attachment Grid (city planner).zip

Last edited by a moderator:

Surge

Brigadier-General
I was too dumb to download this without any precautions, but it worked. Next time you try to put up these files for download, put a virus check verification link that guarantees the file is virus free. I've seen a lot of people on some forums trying to trick people.

Also, you forgot the 1x1 buildings, like Deco and Roads.

DeletedUser

I was too dumb to download this without any precautions, but it worked. Next time you try to put up these files for download, put a virus check verification link that guarantees the file is virus free. I've seen a lot of people on some forums trying to trick people.

Also, you forgot the 1x1 buildings, like Deco and Roads.

I didn't forget, is just that I didn't care since 1x1 decorations should be put on free spaces, and when you lay out the other shapes, the path kinda forms itself. I don't know how to add a virus check verification link, if you know how, please let me know it.

Surge

Brigadier-General
Never put up files on the 'net myself, feared I could lose my account or be accused of stuff. You know... "AVIRA DETECTS TROJANS! LINK IS A LIE!" And yes, now I understand why you didn't put 1x1's.

DeletedUser1080

Thank you! I was using pencil-and-paper until now, but this really helped shorten the amount of time that takes. ^_^ <3

DeletedUser

lol

i got a virus scanner that scannes while downloading..

anyway... i think you also did not put them in as that is what you need to do anyway..

remove the paths first at the box where you are start moving.. (be aware that most production will get on a hold as they are not connected to your town hall).

this way you got the space to shift stuff more easaly of course.. as the first age path don't cost anything anyway. (so think b4 you build costy paths)

just my 2 cents ;)

DeletedUser

I just want to find a game that people are willing to leave alone, not make any programs to help in any way, shape or form. I understand that it shows dedication to the game (in a manner), but it just seems like anymore people won't even play Monopoly without using a program designed by a hedge fund manager to help them. (PvP; not PVP+PC)... I had almost posted the 'equation' for figuring the most flexible layout pattern for figures having between 2 and 5 sides but I stopped myself - the thing I liked about this game is it makes you think, in many different aspects.

I applaud the effort, it shows that you do like the game.

DeletedUser

Or you could just look at my city and plan from there. :cool:

DeletedUser

How do you use this? A couple of clicks and all i get i a black/blank powerpoint presentation.

DeletedUser

How do you use this? A couple of clicks and all i get i a black/blank powerpoint presentation.

What version of PowerPoint are you using? Try downloading the file again. The first slide has a grid, the second has the shapes so you copy, paste them and move them to the first slide. From there, you can drag and arrange them.

DeletedUser

Do we have to have a power point? I don't have any of that stuff on my laptop. It's telling me to buy winRAR. I do have Microsoft power point viewer, but it doesn't let me copy or paste anything. After the 2 slides it closes off.

DeletedUser

The file extension is .zip, so if it asks you to get WinRAR, maybe you have associated the extension to it. I'm not sure about this, but you may try Open Office and let us know if it works.

DeletedUser

OpenOffice.org works great. When you first try to open this file, without a Microsoft PowerPoint of some kind, the computer will probably tell you that it can't be opened. You have to click on search for the file on your computer, select OpenOffice, and it works. Microsoft doesn't want you using Oo_Org, which is why their program acts stupid...they want you to spend a TONNE of money and by MS Office.
OpenOffice.org does everything the complete MS Office suite does, and more, and it is free from Sun Microsystems...just go to openoffice.org and download it.
Years ago, we stopped using MSOffice and now have Oo_Org on all of our computers.

cliff
GRB

DeletedUser

I use Adobe Illustrator. I create the different buildings, then can cut and paste them into a grid that represents my current town.

DeletedUser

This is easier and quicker than a pencil and graph paper. It is NOWHERE close to a program that figures it out for you! All this does is make it easier to manipulate the symbols, which makes it easier to figure out in you mind how you want to arrange your city.

I do not recommend doing this (I am a little too compulsive sometimes), but I changed the colors and text in the blocks: I have house blocks, goods blocks, Mil blocks, Happiness blocks and Production blocks. I made each type of block look different, which helps me with the planning. Probably too over the top for most people, but I for me it is great.

Namaste.

cliff
GRB

DeletedUser

This is WAY overkill, but I liked it, and would appreciate it if others would add their numbers:

I calculate the various percentages of what types of square usage I had...
Total Squares in my city = 336: The original 16x16 grid plus 5 additions.
Town Hall:
= 12.5%. This % will go down as your city increases in size...as the dimensions don't change.
Houses x 20 = 24%.
Production x 6 buildings = 21%.
Happiness x 44 squares = 13%. I filled in all my blank squares with those ugly Obelisks to make it easier to count. When I have more time and money I will changed them to Trees-they look nice vs. the ugly monoliths!
Goods x 2 bldgs = 7%.
Military x 3 bldgs = 6%.
Roads (some Trail, some Path) = 15%
TOTAL = 100%

cliff
GRB

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

OpenOffice.org does everything the complete MS Office suite does, and more, and it is free from Sun Microsystems...just go to openoffice.org and download it.
Years ago, we stopped using MSOffice and now have Oo_Org on all of our computers.

cliff
GRB

Theres a reason Open Office comes with most Linux distros ;) I'd have to agree that it doesn't get much better than OO when it comes to freeware. Also, after reading your posts , I wouldn't mind seeing a screenshot of your city's setup.

DeletedUser

Can't you develop a city planner in flash version?

I think that'd be great.