• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

City layout

Galladhorn

Monarch
Forgot to tell you that i have around 50+/- tiles of Road, that are useless considering Efficiency :P
But i like more my city like this .. Im trying to be Efficient on GBG and i am doing very good there, my City can just be beautifull as long FP's are coming from GBG !

Just consider how much space 50 tiles are! – Roads are another key to effecient City Space utilisation – but a player can have a chaotic city with uneven expansions and still do very well – GB play, Fighting etc etc will have a larger impact overall but 50 Tiles equals about two medium GBs at 5x5 size or a larger GB or other large event buildings – it is quite a siginificant loss of FoE income if if you play nearly every day.

– Roads on the outsides should be avoided – they are only 50% effective since they only connect buildings on 1 side.
One should not have more Dual Lane roads than needed. For players building a lot of buildings needing double lane roads, having a main street (double lane) might be very convienient, but overall dual lane roads a city space eaters big time. 4 DL roads equal a LoA sized building and 6 DL roads takes up the space of a medium sized GB etc.
– Many players make the mistake of adding a lot of DL roads when entering Progresssive Era, and it is about the worst thing they can do - it looks good but is highly ineffecieint and particular in Progressive Era where the DL roads does not even give any happiness.
– GBs and other large buidlings that do not require DL should not be connected with DL roads – it is huge waste of space.

Forwandert

Lieutenant-General
You still can, I use one barrack with traz and its always worked fine. Only affects any attack % bonus the barrack has being disconnected from townhall, that doesnt work. Just if you can cope with the disconnected image above the building.

Agent327

Overlord
You still can, I use one barrack with traz and its always worked fine. Only affects any attack % bonus the barrack has being disconnected from townhall, that doesnt work. Just if you can cope with the disconnected image above the building.

You are right. I just keep those two parts just in case I need to build other buildings that need them. In some cases a building needs to finish being build.

Galladhorn

Monarch
My SAAB city currently has 5 DL roads - but in SAM it was two - I change the area around the City Hall frequently. Players in middle of era progressions should go on their respective servers and take a look at the top players from time to time – usually it tells a lot about how to plan ahead, which buildings are currently "hot" and also which GBs that are worth long term investments. For players in lower ages it might be a bit too much looking at the very top of a server, but trying to find other players and cities that can inspire and more important make players avoid making all those mistakes that a lot of players do is ertainly worth a while. I used to do it a lot and I still take a look on the top players from time to time.

Praeceptor

Lieutenant Colonel
city.jpg

What do you think?
Only 1 double road.

DeletedUser

1591106785434.png

Summer layout, maybe i will put the Kraken in the middle of the TF's :D

DeletedUser

my city is to big to fit in 1 screenshot i need to press ctrl and roll out on mouse to print screen my city then pixels are a bit fuzzy
thats 1 reason i stay in Iron, i don't like big cities ^^

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
Put the largest buildings (usually GBs) on the edges and corners and try to connect two GBs with just 1 tile of road.
And don't worry about the rest.
For example,
2020-06-03 00_05_00-Forge of Empires.png

Two instances are shown in the above picture.
In one instance, the 1 tile road connects total building size of (7 x 3 + 6 x 6) / 1 = 57
In the other instance, the 1 tile road connects total building size of (6 x 6 +7 x 5) / 1 = 71

And these two "anchors" determined the location of the "trunk roads".

Then you can fit all the small buildings however you like, with "branch roads" as necessary.
Even wasteful, because small buildings are small, their wastefulness is also limited.

It is like in the "stories of wisdom" -- when you want to fill stones, sands, and water into a jar,
first stone, then sand, then water.

If you fill in the reverse order, with the same amount, once sand and water are in, you can no longer fit in the stones.

Praeceptor

Lieutenant Colonel
It is like in the "stories of wisdom" -- when you want to fill stones, sands, and water into a jar,
first stone, then sand, then water.

If you fill in the reverse order, with the same amount, once sand and water are in, you can no longer fit in the stones.

Very good analogy.