• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

City layout

What's up foe player,

During these covid boring times I found myself looking for the best city layouts in the game. Let's see what you talented bunch have in store with your creative city layouts.

Galladhorn

Monarch
Many players have their City hall in a corner - it is okay but not the most effective postion – pushing the City Hall a bit inwards and about 2-4 GBs can be connected behind/around the CH with a very small amount of roads. There is a infamous Guide around, cant find it anymore – think it is on a website or blog now. It shows several options to get the most out of your city space and many variations about the Sets as well.

The creativity of FoE city layout is farily limited once a player master all the basic compositions – it is limited because in reality it is about effectiveness at the cost of making a city look nice. Anytime a player goes for the "Romantic*" choice chance are that it is not as effective as it could be and that over time will slow the players progress down. * by Romantic I mean for e.g certain type of buildings that fit togther for their looks etc. or if player chooses a road type that is not the best, but because it looks better to players eye. Some players suffer from various degrees of OCD related issues and their cities are very very strict in their layout – it looks impressive and effective but that is also not the most effective city layout.

With some luck a city can somtimes have a pleasent look to the eye and still be effective, but most of the time it is not the case. I am sure if anybody made a copy of their city with nearly free unlimited space - their cities would look quite different than they do now - it is the part of the whole intent of buying diamonds (not the only one) – that lurking dream of having enough space to do all the stuff and sorround the differnt parts with roads all around etc etc. but the game is not like that at all – it can be played like that but then the game it self will be a somewhat an annoyance or a compromised play style.

Usually the sort of visual creativy is mostly displayed when some players leave the game – then there is nearly no functionality invovled anymore and they can plant 2000 tress or write something with roads etc etc. That is more like an artistic freedom.

The creativy in the FoE city layout lies mostly with space management – like solving a puzzle type game – if I move these buildings over here and exchange this with that then I can make space for this buidling and have a better FP income, atk stats or whatever it is. You can just go and see the leading players on a server – they usually have removed anything that is not worth having and replaced it with the latest best output buildings and as many of those they can get their hands on. In short you have to compromise the aesthetics for getting better effectivity and that brings the so called creativy down to a bare factual calucaltion rather than any payfull creation in +90somethign% of the time. Other creativity in FoE is thinking out the box for solving quests – but again once that this is learned there is no more creativity in it – you repeat and combine the "tricks" to solve the quests the fastets and most cost effective way.

I have a guildmate who always had a conceptual way of his city layout – he changed it many times – right now he has made a a WALL around the entire city and not just 1x1 type, no he is up to 4 spaces in width - Apparently he enjoys it, but it is really bad for how much stuff he otherwise could fit into his city and thereby how much output it could create, wheter it be Production or Stats etc.

Asking for players to show their creativity needs a somewhat more specific breifing – "creativity" just means to create - E.g a baker or a bankman can be creative – the word is not reserved for designers, artists or developers.

So if you want people to show their city(ies) here, you need to specify what the theme really is about and perhaps start by showing your own city at the risk of scrutiny from the forum.

Galladhorn

Monarch
yea often found you can't make your city nice looking and effective at same time

Can certainly be diffcult - It is a players choice – but most of the time I would guestimate a 10/90% balance - where the 10% is the nicification (because you are after all are gonna look at that city a lot). ;)

Last edited:

rising dawn

Private
Find the ability to relay your whole city very useful and do it regularly as new buildings are added.
One development I'd like to see is the ability to remove a Great Building without losing any progress you've made so far.

DeletedUser118102

0.png

i tried decrease rads and cover big gbs near town hall

Galladhorn

Monarch
From the cities Posted I can already say that you are wandering down the "wrong" path – nothing bad meant about the cities but the layouts are somewhat tagged/Irregular (though much worse are seen around). Several years a go it was already analyzed with the result that Square layouts can hold more buildings than rectangualar layouts. One simple reason for a Square layout to work better over longer time is the simple fact that recangular building are best placed with the shortest side connecting to the road – that is particular true if a many of the same type of building are lined up.

If a player having a "normal" progression trough the Eras, then different Era buildings will affect the city as well a new/updated buildings that suddenly becomes more effective and than others. With a Square layout the line up(s) can be arrranged both ways vs a long rectangular layout that might only be effective for less types of buildings that suits that direction of the layout.

A lot of players do very Tagged layouts – it usually works like this – "Ohh if I open a bit here then I can just fit in that GB" – but over a longer period these "irregular expansion "Tooths" will most likely become annoying for most players (with the exception of a large diamond farm with shrinked WW). And it is not only annoying but actually hindering the most effective usage of the city layout – using irregular opening at the early Eras is a common mistake. Usually the early Eras feel like a lot of Expansions are coming the players way – only to find that this does not continue on for ever as expansions becomes less.

The square layout only becomes kind of obsolete when the square can no longer be obtained and at that point the player is most likely at such high level that the income will not be severely affected by the irregularity.

New players should try to build a square layout form the start. It might seem a bit demanding at some points, but it is never the less doable to make the buildings fit within it. Once learned it will be benneficial over the long run. It is somwhat a choice between easy short term fixes or learning the city layout structure at a more indepth level.

Image shows the largest possible Square layout, before a Square is not longer possible.
NB: Was made in 2018, It might have changed a bit since that, but you should get the point on how to look at the overall expansion in regard to a Square.
FoE_Cityexpansion_1st_goal.jpg

Last edited:

DeletedUser

@Galladhorn Thats true, i haven't renovated my city since 10 expansions now ?
To be truth i have enough Units production so i didn't cared much ..
I have a friend using FoE Planner or something, he made a layout once for me but it was too bad looking so i totally ignored it (planner is a 3rd party software and probably bannable, but since we are talking about efficiency)
I mostly renovate my City after Events, so lets see how many Checkmates i will get and maybe i will do some proper renovation this time :P
(staying in a lower Era is also a way to have a smaller City to handle, thats one more reason i like more my Era than the higher ones)

Galladhorn

Monarch
@Galladhorn Thats true, i haven't renovated my city since 10 expansions now ?
To be truth i have enough Units production so i didn't cared much ..
I have a friend using FoE Planner or something, he made a layout once for me but it was too bad looking so i totally ignored it (planner is a 3rd party software and probably bannable, but since we are talking about efficiency)
I mostly renovate my City after Events, so lets see how many Checkmates i will get and maybe i will do some proper renovation this time :P
(staying in a lower Era is also a way to have a smaller City to handle, thats one more reason i like more my Era than the higher ones)

I made a "larger" change to my city the other day – untill that it was based on the same base layout for about 3 years or more. But still I found a bit more space to free up, mainly by changing larger buildings like Terrace Farms and Pallace sets so that the shortets side was connectiing to the road.

I used to use the City Planner – before reconstruction mode it was indeed a very valauble tool and the older version had some very need calculation features.
Reconstrcution mode is quite fine, but can still be improved. Another thing about the City Planner is that the layout can be shared with other players – meaning those that are better a building a city can help others doing it - I used to that soem years ago.

I think the after Event renovation is very common – I do it too and it makes sense if a player has won new buildings.

;)

DeletedUser

But still I found a bit more space to free up,
Forgot to tell you that i have around 50+/- tiles of Road, that are useless considering Efficiency :P
But i like more my city like this .. Im trying to be Efficient on GBG and i am doing very good there, my City can just be beautifull as long FP's are coming from GBG !