• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Choosing your weapon (Browser)

DeletedUser13521

I have seen many posts from people constantly telling people to switch browsers. Hardly ever giving any reasons for doing so either. The thing I find funniest of all is people scoffing at internet explorer and recommending Firefox or Opera. While trying to get the new in game chat working I have downloaded and tested out Explorer 9, Firefox, Opera and Chrome.

I tend to do a lot of switching between worlds, and I noticed very quickly that both Firefox and Opera do a very poor job of caching flash objects used in the game, this leads to around 10 extra seconds of load time to get all images etc loaded up every time you log into a world(You see the spinning load icon). They do run the game quite nicely after the initial load time however, so if you don't log in and out much they do work quite well.

Internet Explorer and Chrome both do a wonderful job of caching the in game content, with no news popup at start you can often have your town fully up and loaded in under 5 seconds. Explorer tends to have some "dirty" loads sometimes that poorly affect game performance, particularly when you have the news pop up at the start. All in all though I would still recommend Explorer over Opera or Firefox for anyone who tends to do a lot of relogging. I've spent the least amount of time on Chrome so far but it seems to shine, fast load times and no performance issues at all thus far.

I can't comment on Waterfox as I did not try it out yet ... or any other less well known ones. Hope this might help some people out struggling to find their best choice of browser to play the game on :)

P.S. Chat only worked for me on Firefox .. but that seems to be different for everyone. Hoping for fix soon ... :D

DeletedUser13521

Been using chrome for many hours since posting ... its only weakness seems to be a little more flash crashes over explorer, no biggie :D

And I'd like to add that all the times listed in my initial post were based on having a 600KB/s DSL connection. If you have a fast cable connection you will likely not notice near as much of a difference between browsers on the load times :)

DeletedUser

I tried many browzers and I am back to Internet Explorer! Go figure =p

Uh, IE does not crash all worlds. IE loads more quickly. IE does not "war/compete" with other browsers. (waterfox was dominated by Firefox = black screen/no load)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8813

I tried many browzers and I am back to Internet Explorer! Go figure =p

Uh, IE does not crash all worlds. IE loads more quickly. IE does not "war/compete" with other browsers. (waterfox was dominated by Firefox = black screen/no load)

regarding waterfox,
since i downloaded and run waterfox there has been no war between firefox and waterfox.both firefox and waterfox run seamlessly side by side.
waterfox stopped the whitescreens and the blacked out city surrounds.
4 weeks and 3 worlds not one crash.
it is fast easy to use

i have tried them all (well most anyway)they all work ,but they all suffer the same problem the flash crash..not a problem for a light user but me i am on all day and when the flash crashes it affects other games i am running so it was a nuisance

DeletedUser

Question: Is this Waterfox browser only useful to people with a 64 bit system? Is there any way that it will help a 32 bit Vista system?

DeletedUser8813

Question: Is this Waterfox browser only useful to people with a 64 bit system? Is there any way that it will help a 32 bit Vista system?

waterfox is a 64 bit browser so it will only work properly with 64 bit system.
you can still use it on 32 bit but it will make no differance

DeletedUser

Thanks for the tip on water fox, much appreciated.

Im going to give a thumbs up to it. I am now running 4 clients using it and 0 crashes (bout 2 weeks now) There are a few mem leak problems, but its a game issue and not the browser. Refreshing fairly often (after the annoying event log pop up, a full p/m round or hood attack) and alls fine.

i was running 2 in firefox and 2 in crome and both would crash fairly often if i didnt refresh in time, water hasnt yet.

Greywolf

Sergeant
My browser of choice is Firefox which runs most browsergames smoothly on my PC, sadly enough FoE runs very poorly on it.

I have the 64 bits version of Windows 8 so I can use 64 bits browsers. Any difference in perfomance between the 32 and 64 bits version of Internet Explorer? Or maybe I should skip IE and download Waterfox instead and see if that works better?

DeletedUser11781

Interesting discussion here, I use Google Chrome which seems to run quite smooth, I might give IE9 a try.. I believe most of this switching browsers is to do with the game crashing a-lot. Well I've been told (and seems to reduce the crashing less) if you change your screen resolution to about 1024x600. This helps quite a bit when attacking the whole neighbourhood. I would like to know if this works for anyone else. ;)

DeletedUser653

About IE, I have a 64 bit machine but found it runs much better in a 32 bit browser and with Flash then at 32 bit. Far less crashes for very little difference in speed

DeletedUser11781

Waterfox is the browser of choice! I've used it 2 days in a row while attacking and not a single crash! :p

DeletedUser12874

waterfox is a 64 bit browser so it will only work properly with 64 bit system.
you can still use it on 32 bit but it will make no differance
It ONLY WORKS on 64bit systems. It WILL NOT RUN on 32bit.
There is no way to run 64bit programs on anything else than 64bit OS.
If you have 32bit XP/Vista/7/8 then there is no solution for you. You NEED 64bit OS!