• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: (New Game Feature) changing timezone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Proposal:
we should have 2 clocks:
1. local timezone which you can adjust from settings
2. server timezone(cannot be changed)
and i wold like to add that we should be able to change from 12 hour(AM-PM) to 24 hour

Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea
didnt find anything close to my idea

Reason:
its hard for the rest of us to "convert" to our timezone

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7719

I thought there was an idea about an in-game time clock, but if there wasn't, I like this idea :)

DeletedUser4089

One central clock makes it much easier to organise things, since everyone can use game-time.

Changing individual time zones just seems like it's unnecessary and would cause too much confusion,

DeletedUser

hmm,i'm not sure how this can confuse players or how can it be abused but anyways
maybe someone can help me figure it out how many hours i need to add or take from that timezone so i know when i got attacked/polished and so on
i live in romania

DeletedUser5026

One central clock makes it much easier to organise things, since everyone can use game-time.

Changing individual time zones just seems like it's unnecessary and would cause too much confusion,

and would be abused big time ^

Bartimaeus, I am not too sure what there is to organise in the game, for the time being. Personally, I find the ability to change time zones to be a boon, since it is definitely easier for me to work out timings in my local time, rather than to have to constantly calculate Germany's time, not to mention the Daylight Savings, which tend to complicate stuff.

Chromeozone, would you care to elaborate on abuse of this proposed feature? At the moment, I cannot think of any.

Forums, such as this one, allow for users to set their time zone, so that they can see when a certain post was written, in their local time. If this is unneccessary, why does such a feature exists? If it causes confusion, no one on any forum I've visited thus far have complained about it. And I have yet to see people abuse such a feature. Would having this feature in the game make things different?

L.R.

DeletedUser4089

Bartimaeus, I am not too sure what there is to organise in the game, for the time being. Personally, I find the ability to change time zones to be a boon, since it is definitely easier for me to work out timings in my local time, rather than to have to constantly calculate Germany's time, not to mention the Daylight Savings, which tend to complicate stuff. [snip]

A couple of examples.
Trading: "I will have x goods available for you at xxyy game time" as opposed to "I will have my goods ready for you at xxyy my time, which is 7 hours different from yours, so i add..? or.. subtract..? 7? and that will be the time? oh how I wish there was just one central clock to make this easier."
Possibly Guild Wars, depending on how it will be introduced: "Ok, we go to war at noon!" "GMT?" "EST?" "MST?" "oh how I wish there was just one central clock to make this easier."

There's also the issue that support staff need to have everything on server time, so that could lead to confusion also between players and support.

Also, if the time settings are so terrible, there is the option for US players to play on the US servers which I believe run off a US timezone, not German. (and all the other language servers set to their respective markets time zones.)

DeletedUser5026

Well, if I could use your example, right now, if someone were to tell a new player, "I will have x goods available for you at xxyy game time", the new player wouldn't know what current server time is anyway, since there isn't any clock ingame that mentions time. You might say, "The current server time can be estimated by the new mail that comes thru", but that is assuming the player is on hand to open the mail the moment it arrives, and has the presence of mind to check the time and do the neccessary calculations. And once DST starts to roll, one has to add/subtract an hour, and I still have no clue which is which.

Yes, there is an option for US players to play on US servers. But English players have to play on the English servers. And English players are everywhere, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Philippines, India, Pakistan.

This will probably get even more rejection votes, but if there's a need to have a unified time system, this is what I propose:
1) First, start a clock somewhere in the game interface, it can even be in the settings.
2) Second, have 2 times shown, one marked "Server" and the other marked "Local", where the player can adjust "Local" to his time zone. Server time can be mandated for all official communications with moderators.

DeletedUser

Or have two small digital times on one of the game corner, with server time, and 2nd is your timezone time. That will eliminate all the confusion. Since this feature doesn't affect any gameplay whatsoever, there shouldn't be any bugs with this feature, and probably the easiest and most simplest feature.

DeletedUser

+1 to this idea. Support staff can do things whenever they wish, based on the server time, no quarrel with that. Simply being able to have the Events list show my time zone would be an enormous boon in knowing when/how much to adjust collection times.

As for trading, I simply say "In about X hours". I've never once told someone a time.

DeletedUser

I +1 Lone rangers idea of two clocks, one server, one local, it has been done on many games I have played, and I see it as a solid idea, do not have to think much on it, it benefits the player of knowing what time something truly happened. Guild wars could be set by the server clock, guild interaction for trading goods could be set by that as well, but all notifications incoming through the event window could go through local time.

DeletedUser4089

Yep, I could agree to that.

Edit: Not that *I* actually decide what goes into the game. Just that I agree that's a fair compromise. It seems to still give the local timings that was asked for, but takes away my concerns as posted earlier. Whee, I'm tired and babbling.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

i have to agreed with you guys,you made a fair point about the confusion that can be created by changing the timezone
but i really like the idea of having 2 clocks
so can i +1 on that?:D

DeletedUser

This will probably get even more rejection votes, but if there's a need to have a unified time system, this is what I propose:
1) First, start a clock somewhere in the game interface, it can even be in the settings.
2) Second, have 2 times shown, one marked "Server" and the other marked "Local", where the player can adjust "Local" to his time zone. Server time can be mandated for all official communications with moderators.

+1 This is a very good solution. I don't see any rejection votes so far. ;)

DeletedUser4089

AloGarA, since this is your thread, you can update your original post to alter the idea to what's been brought up. That way new people opening the thread will see the updated idea.

DeletedUser

ok bartimaeus46 i changed my first post,its much better then before

DeletedUser1094

Proposal:
we should have 2 clocks:
1. local timezone which you can adjust from settings
2. server timezone(cannot be changed)
and i wold like to add that we should be able to change from 12 hour(AM-PM) to 24 hour

Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea
didnt find anything close to my idea

Reason:
its hard for the rest of us to "convert" to our timezone

Hi AloGarA...
The idea of a "local" time showing in-game, has been proposed several times before. But that may have been in the old, and now deleted and forgotten, idea-section. I welcome the proposal again...
A few remarks :
It's easy to make proposals, when you don't have to do the actual implementation yourself. I would very much like you to come up with an idea, on how to implement it. Look at your city-screen, the pop-ups, the event-news, etc.... Where should the second time-display be showed? Should all the time-displays show both times? (that could be a mess!)
Please, expand your proposal...you forgot the Template-item called "Details".
Personally, I don't need my local time showing... I can add and subtract the hours, if needed...but that's just me. ;)
But... I do see a need for it, with the future implementation of a rumoured game-update, where guild-members are supposed to cooperate and might be needed to show up at the same time. (but that's just a rumour)

DeletedUser2989

I like the idea of a server clock fixed to the main user interface. Now with GvG implemented they have a timer set for server time but it is only visible when you look at a province in GvG. It'd make it a lot easier to keep track of things if we could see the clock time for the server in game and not in the form of a count down timer. While the timer is handy to know when calc is happening it's hard to coordinate anything according to a countdown timer that you can only see if you enter a GvG province.

It'd also be nice if the clock could show a day or date according to the server too. That way a guild could organise an attack at "16:00 tuesday (10/06/2014)" server time when it is "16:00 sunday (08/06/2014)". Just a bonus thing to make it easier to be specific about when a activity begins.

I don't think an ingame local time clock is needed as people can use watches, phones, computers and more for the local time.

DeletedUser11930

I would like to see a Game time clock added so we can prepare for events as they are happening ie the events are advertised at starting at a certain time but we all play in different timezones so how can we judge which timezone evnts are in compared to us.
Make it easier and put a game time clock on the login page

DeletedUser

+1 There should be a game clock, but right now the GvG timer is a clock everyone can see and since GvG is where most time organizing would be, this suggestion is not pressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.