• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Certain City Designs to give enhanced boost

DeletedUser108047

Proposal: Building and retaining certain combinations of buildings across eras give a boost to player based on the combination of buildings

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?

Not that I could find

Reason:

City Building is quite linear. There is the general design distinction between fighting, farming, fp farming etc but as a general rule you level up as you go. Once you have passed through an era there is not much reason to use a lower age technology. Currently the element of city design in the game is mostly limited to efficient use of space and the balance of coin, supply, goods, barracks and GBS.

My proposal would add another level of complexity to city design and provide another strategic element that will extend the game and make it more interesting by allowing players to further customise their city to be more reflective of their style of play.

Details:
This is a development concept proposal so the precise details will need to be fleshed out and balanced but I am proposing it for discussion. Please comment on the broad concept and whether development of the game for individual players should head in this direction rather than critque the as yet undefined detail:

There are five principles that should apply to the design:
First: the boosts should be sufficient to incentivise differential city building.
Second: the boosts should not be so much as to unbalance the game
Third: the boosts should not be easy to achieve ie the building sets should be diverse across ages and
Fourth: the requirements for the boosts should allow players to access them reasonably early in the game but be scaled to give an incentive for high level players to use them
Fifth: the boosts only apply when all the required buildings are built and retained and you can only have one of these boosts (although they can combine with GB boosts etc)

The general idea is that if a player has say 5 (perhaps more) buildings in a themed set (from production, goods and culture, even GB) across a range of ages they would receive a bonus that would apply whilst they had those buildings.

The buildings would be relevant to the theme of the boost. There would be multiple buildings to choose from. No building would be relevant to more than one them., These boosts could be:

happiness boost (a % happiness boost): tavern, brewery, ampitheatre, theatre, inn, circus, amusement park etc

research boost (% decrease in research costs): library, publisher, alchemist, computer games company etc. paper mill

military boost: (% fighting increase) blacksmith, gunsmith, aircraft factory, gunpowder, etc

health boost: (for troops - as per the drummer) doctor, chemical plant and other health orientated buildings and/or a healing boost

supply production boost (% supply increase as per gbs): logistics center, transport etc

Alcatraz production boost (1 extra fighter per day or a random boost daily) : police station, gallows, pillory, private security etc

coin production boost (% coin increase as per gbs): financial center, gold etc

farming boost (random increase in goods production): have no barracks and a range of produce related supply buildings such as goat farm, cattle ranch etc

defence or anti plunder boost: (% increase in defence like watchtower or a random chance to avoid being plundered) tourism related buildings - museum, hotels, motels etc

religion boost: (%increase in fighting power) church, St Basil, Notre Dame, Stone Circle etc

Visual Aids:
NA

Balance:
This proposal needs careful consideration to ensure that the boost is not too easily achieved and that it provides sufficient gameplay without providing too much to the individual player

Abuse Prevention:

Not relevant

Summary: See above

DeletedUser108379

I am confused :?

Do you mean that keeping a bunch of lower era buildings of a certain type should give a boost?
And did I read correctly that you include diamonds buildings in the needed buildings? (would be the first time in the play for needing diamonds to get some important part of the gaming experience, so a big -1)

DeletedUser108047

Thanks for the comment @Cardena

on the question of diamonds - no that was not contemplated. The buildings should be those obtainable in ordinary game play

On the question of 'lower era' - not precisely. what I am proposing is if you theme your city as a research city by building and keeping research buildings then you would get a research boost. Those buildings would be relevant to the theme ie a library etc. The buildings would be selectable over a range of eras...

DeletedUser

I understand what you're trying to do and I like it in theory, but I don't know if the suggested incentives would be enough for me to keep outdated buildings in my city. I'd probably only be interested in an attack boost, but since I don't know what that percentage boost would be, I can't honestly say I'm interested at this point.
Neutral.

DeletedUser108047

thanks for the comment @lady-lexis

If the themed buildings were available in all eras (ie you have to have 5 out of a possible 10 buildings) ... so you didn't necessarily have to have all outdated buildings,( but you could chose to do so for population or space reasons...) would this make it more attractive?

I'm guessing that a military boost would have to be either a critical hit percentage like the Orangery or somewhere around 8-10% as it would have to be at least as good as having a drummer and a strike team (which would take less space)

DeletedUser

If the themed buildings were available in all eras (ie you have to have 5 out of a possible 10 buildings) ... so you didn't necessarily have to have all outdated buildings,( but you could chose to do so for population or space reasons...) would this make it more attractive?
I'm not quite sure I understand. Do you mean that the themed buildings that need to be combined to create a boost would still be from different eras? I think what would appeal to me might be a certain combination of buildings from the age you're actually in needing to be your city to provide a boost. The trouble with that though, I think, would be finding enough buildings in one age with the same 'theme' to make that work... so again, not sure how viable that actually is without bringing in new buildings.

DeletedUser109385

Hmm....the boosts like religion boosts are a little confusing to me so just to make your idea simple to understand you mean that if you have different buildings of different eras in your city you get a boost?

DeletedUser720

You lost me at "add another level of complexity to city design". Planning out the city is hard as it is. We need to make it easier, not harder.

DeletedUser107476

A similar idea has already been suggested but through the research tree rather than city design where those who wish to follow a more militarised play would get additional boosts in that field and those that wished to produce goods would also get own branches in tree and get boost to goods etc.

DeletedUser108047

Thanks @markp27 - didn't see that one :( Through the research tree is the simpler design. My suggestion would not require a change to the research tree to make some branches optional...but it seems the consensus so far is that there is sufficient complexity in the game