• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Bullies

stevejohnson

Private
I only want to help you guys understand so you can decide whether to continue playing. I hope you do, but it's completely your choice. Attacking and plunder is part of the game. If it is something you really don't care for, you might want to check out Elvenar, which is another city building game without the PvP component.

The player who is attacking you everyday, isn't doing any harm unless he/she is successful in plundering you. Houses and production buildings cannot be plundered if they are motivated, so try to build a big friends list and motivate/polish everyday. Your friends and guildmates(try to join a large guild) should reciprocate daily. This prevents anybody from plundering coin or supply. Now all you have to do is collect your goods and buildings that can't be motivated on time and you have nothing to worry about. Those buildings cannot be plundered until they are finished producing and if you're there to collect them at that time, nobody else can get them. Set the timing for every 24 hrs at bed time or something like that when you know you should have time to log in quickly and collect them. Then reset your timer for 24 hrs again and same thing the next night.

This is how the game is played, people attack you for points to compete in the PvP tower and this wins them medals which they use to expand their city. After they attack you successfully, they are given a chance to plunder from you some time in the next 24 hrs. This is an extra incentive the game gives to encourage PvP. Your defending army is automatically healed when the battle is over so the actual attack against you does no harm. It only earns the attacker some points for his/her PvP tower.

I can suggest to collect on time; try diplomacy; use city shield; get your buildings motivated; put your best defence ect.
a war game I used to play, not by inno so can't mention the name, you could come on-line in the morning and find your city had gone, not just your goods and troops but all the buildings aswell

stevejohnson

Private
Plundering is still a part of the game because it's a strategy game, which makes war an essential element, and defeat in war has to have consequences. GvG is nice, as is GE. However, they can't replace PvP, which is more easily accessible, more immediate, and makes the individual player a sovereign entity in the game's conflicts and politics. Giving the player this individual control and power is absolutely essential to strategy gaming.

The fact is, PvP in particular, and the war aspect in general, is underdeveloped; the incentives are too weak, the battle mechanics are too primitive, and the integration with overall gameplay is poor. They really should build a new combat system from scratch, and connect PvP to more sophisticated political and economic elements..

It's a common misconception that those two are mutually exclusive. The fact that you have a right to express yourself doesn't alter the content of your expression. If it's whining, then it's whining. It's your right and whining. Both, at the same time. It may seem like magic, but it really isn't.

Some even believe that, if they're "exercising a constitutional right", they're beyond criticism. Nothing could be further from the truth. Precisely because expression is a constitutional right, people are completely free to utterly thrash your opinions and how you express them. They can even be unreasonable and unfair about it. In fact, they can be outright malicious, nasty, and cruel about it. It's their right. In most free societies, some laws will slightly limit what they can say about you, but nothing limits what they can say about your opinions and expressions.

In other words, if you don't want to be accused of whining, you should be careful about your whining.
I think it is your constitutional right to go and fight and die for your country but I don't think that makes it the right thing to be doing

DeletedUser109296

Plundering is still a part of the game..."
imo, it's
What and when are FOE going to do about this kind of action. I have constant attacks and plundered by jeckles of the Hudson Bay co and if I leave my city longer than the time of my goods maturing they are immediately plundered. I have mailed them and they are not interested and continue to attack daily. I have played this game for over 5 years and I'm now at the stage of wondering if its worth to continue as my progress has now ceased due to these attacks. I have no chance to retaliate due to this person having a much higher status and fire power in the game. It would be like attacking a nuclear power with bows and arrows.

Waiting to see how FOE treat bullies.

Sir_Heat

Since the neighborhood grouping program change I've been seeing a fair number of 'professional' (whatever Age) players. They have GBs from the Eras while still in the Ages. Those that attack & plunder are like you said. If the programming change was rolled back these ass hats would have to try & plunder the more advanced players with roughly the same score rather than attacking players of the same Age that would need a year or 2 of playing to be able to defend themselves and/or atttack back without getting slaughtered. It sucks!

Actually the Plunder or Aid bit of the programming, imo, is stoopid! Do I be a nice player & Aid my neighbors, or do I be a selfish bully & attack. Sure wish we had a nuke option for plunderers! LOL

LadyHecate

Major-General
If the programming change was rolled back these ass hats would have to try & plunder the more advanced players with roughly the same score
That was not how the previous neighbourhood selection process was conducted; you just had a random selection of players that could be from 2-3 Ages (more when it frequently went wrong). In those circumstances, I would suggest that plundering was more prevalent, as you had the potential to be plundered by players from higher Ages not just your current Age.
Players just need to get over the fact that plundering is a part of the game and either build better defences and/or collect their goods on time. I have to admit that I probably plunder more than most in my 'hood but I have Profile text that states if a player Aids me then I'll Aid them back. Consequently, I only attack and plunder those players that do nothing to help the rest of the 'hood.

DeletedUser110195

Oooh Lady Hec...hope I don't run into you in a 'hood, because we'll come to blows. I owe no one in my 'hood nothing, I don't aid random strangers I didn't choose to be with. If someone wants my aid, they have to earn it first.

I'm also not too terribly fond of the character you chose as your avatar, so double whammy!

DeletedUser110195

Very unlikely! You're not active on my main world and I don't attack, let alone plunder, on all my secondary cities.
I'll eventually be on your main world, though whether I'll catch up or not is another matter entirely.

LadyHecate

Major-General
though whether I'll catch up or not is another matter entirely.
You'll catch up! I'm one of those players who's camped in a particular Age/Era with little intention of moving onwards. Hence why I can plunder so much; it's been a loooong time since I've not been #1 in the 'hood!

Praeceptor

Lieutenant Colonel
After all these years people are still whinging about plunderers?

It's a fundamental part of strategy war games - most games you lose far more than a few goods when you're beaten.

It's not personal - just live with it.

It's certainly not bullying - just people playing the game the way it was designed.

Inno aren't interested in your moaning - they built the game this way and they provide GBs which enhance plundering.

If this is still a problem for you - pick up your goods on time or play another game.

/thread

Stop just doing research - Build up your defenses and maybe even your offensive capability before moving on to higher ages. It's a requirement if you don't like being plundered. In my opinion (and I don't do it) everyone who is moving into the higher ages, before they are ready, deserves to be plundered every single day!

DeletedUser109475

Heck I've got folks in my hood with 135k points in the same era as I am and I have over 2.1m. It's not the points that count, they are just a reflection on the buildings and GB's within the city. Yeah I've got GB's above my era but I chose to divert fp towards getting those GB's and then swapping to level them up instead of doing an era of tech in the minimum time.

Currently the hood has a few who have jumped to the next era so are higher than I am despite having just 20% of the points. Some don't have GB's. My GB's and attacking techniques are such that I can defeat their higher era DA's even if they have 130% bonus, and I do so pretty regularly. A large part of my city is under watchfires so my DA is strong, it's been a long time since anyone tried beyond sticking a spearman in, (probably to learn the DA percentage).

The point is they have chosen to play one way, I've chosen to play another, neither is right or wrong, (though I do question how you can get to say Modern era without acquiring a GB, nobody is that unlucky, that HAS to be through choice). It's is a surefire way to be weak, vulnerable and open to being plundered. The other style of play doesn't equate to a bully but if my weak hoodie does nothing to aid or contribute then they have only themselves to blame for any action I may against them.

DeletedUser110797

I'm a fighter and a plunderer and I have received messages from other players asking me to 'cease and desist' but I just ignore them. Why? Because the neighbourhoods change on a regular basis and so if I am inflicting pain on someone by plundering from their city on a regular basis, hey, the pain will be over soon. I've only been playing for a bit over 3 months and my 'hoods have changed 3 times in that period. Effectively INNO have built in a defence against long-term vengeful 'bullying'. Given that, I can't see why sir_heat raised the complaint and precipitated 6 pages of discussion.

DeletedUser110179

Plundering is still a part of the game because it's a strategy game, which makes war an essential element, and defeat in war has to have consequences.
Strategy games don't necessitate war (You may lose property in M......y because of debt) but even war strategy games have degrees of war (some might be taken up mostly in gathering resources to build empire, until 5 minutes of war at the end).

In reality, some empires have concentrated almost 100% on war (eg Spartans and Huns).
Other empires have dominated the landscape by civilizing development rather than than by military domination alone (eg British Empire in India, Rome and Greece).

Effectively INNO have built in a defence against long-term vengeful 'bullying'. Given that, I can't see why sir_heat raised the complaint and precipitated 6 pages of discussion.
I guess the real question is: How much war and plunder is really necessary in the pursuit of economic, technical and cultural development.

There are many ways to head off into the future ... or simply do what you do best, right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser111036

Strategy games don't necessitate war, but they involve it. There are many ways of dealing with plunderers. Use one of them.

DeletedUser110708

Sir Heat

I'm sorry but there are lots of ways to make this sort of behavior stop, several mentioned in the posts above. As you progress your cities naturally (or at least should) become more and more plunder free. Shrines, wishing wells, GBs (ie) building which can't get plundered is where you should be going. Building up a defense to the point NOT to stop the aggressor but so that they lose 2/3 units every time. Goods on 1 day or 2 day cycles. Defense down to 2 spear fighters. Tavern has 3 day attack block for 24k silver.

If someone attacking is able to cripple your progress then you've the wrong setup. Finally most bullies only attack if they know it pisses you off. Sending the guy an email to stop was probably the worst thing you could have done. They will make a point of it now.

DeletedUser110481

See when I wrote my thread Peaceful Cities Movement, I did not know this thread was here. Surely, the fact that these threads are constant shows that this is a problem that should be dealt with. there seems to be two things on this. people who don't like looting or being looted and people who say "it's part of the game, deal with it." That is not an argument. It translates to "I want to keep looting and I don't care about you." That is all that it means. It has no validity in whether looting should be taken out of the game or not. It is like saying to your slave in Rome "it's a part of our society deal with it." It does not prove that it is right. if you want to keep looting come up with a better argument why it should remain.

DeletedUser110481

Sir Heat

I'm sorry but there are lots of ways to make this sort of behavior stop, several mentioned in the posts above. As you progress your cities naturally (or at least should) become more and more plunder free. Shrines, wishing wells, GBs (ie) building which can't get plundered is where you should be going. Building up a defense to the point NOT to stop the aggressor but so that they lose 2/3 units every time. Goods on 1 day or 2 day cycles. Defense down to 2 spear fighters. Tavern has 3 day attack block for 24k silver.

If someone attacking is able to cripple your progress then you've the wrong setup. Finally most bullies only attack if they know it pisses you off. Sending the guy an email to stop was probably the worst thing you could have done. They will make a point of it now.

DeletedUser110481

:If someone attacking is able to cripple your progress then you've the wrong setup. Finally most bullies only attack if they know it pisses you off. Sending the guy an email to stop was probably the worst thing you could have done. They will make a point of it now" Thank you for proving my point about bullying. There should be no place for bullying in this game.